BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:

If I’m using my mousegun, it’s because my .45 either ran out of ammo or quit working, neither of which is very likely in my particular case.

If I did ever have to use one of the little guns, I’d definitely have a knife in the other hand, namely the Spyderco Street Bowie my son sent me when I was in Afghanistan back in 2020. It’s razor sharp, light and very lively in the hand, and long enough to do some damage.

There again, all of this is assuming there is literally no way out, and fight is the only option. In that event, I’m gonna go shit slinging monkey crazy with every weapon I have until the fight is done one way or the other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Mouseguns were a helluva lot more effective before the discovery of antibiotics.  You might win the battle but die a painful death over the next couple of days.  A lot of psychological stops just from the mousegun being produced.  Today, a miscreant doesn't have much fear of the service pistol, the worst he expects is a colostomy bag.

All small arms are variable length spears.  The .22 LR, .22 WMR, .25 ACP, & .32 ACP are particularly thin spears.  If you get into contact range, you will lower the miscreant's blood pressure much faster with a proper knife than a mousegun.  Preferably you've used the mousegun before the fight closed to contact distance, which would mean the mousegun hits did not produce a psychological stop, they did not penetrate into a vital part of the nervous system, and it will be a long time before the minor wounds inflicted on the miscreant lower his blood pressure significantly.  Then it's time for the knife, presuming that you would have already run if you could before using the mousegun.

If I’m using my mousegun, it’s because my .45 either ran out of ammo or quit working, neither of which is very likely in my particular case.

If I did ever have to use one of the little guns, I’d definitely have a knife in the other hand, namely the Spyderco Street Bowie my son sent me when I was in Afghanistan back in 2020. It’s razor sharp, light and very lively in the hand, and long enough to do some damage.

There again, all of this is assuming there is literally no way out, and fight is the only option. In that event, I’m gonna go shit slinging monkey crazy with every weapon I have until the fight is done one way or the other.

My point being, if you're down to the mousegun, use it to break contact & run.  That's pretty good advice for any civilian use of a pistol other than trying to heroically take down a mass shooter.

As far as snubs, it's far more fun to practice not drawing at 5 yds & shoot through the used Goodwill hoodie pocket instead.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The only "mousegun" I've owned was a 2nd gen LCP, and it was great for what it was I only got rid of it because I had rusting issues. I've been thinking of picking up an LCP max for pocket carry, hopefully the finish is better on those. I don't know about .25ACP for carry, I have a few loose rounds of it that I'm not sure where it came from, never owned or shot anything in that caliber. Seems neat, but I've heard the ballistics suck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Lord_Of_War:  The only "mousegun" I've owned was a 2nd gen LCP, and it was great for what it was I only got rid of it because I had rusting issues. I've been thinking of picking up an LCP max for pocket carry, hopefully the finish is better on those. I don't know about .25ACP for carry, I have a few loose rounds of it that I'm not sure where it came from, never owned or shot anything in that caliber. Seems neat, but I've heard the ballistics suck.
View Quote

.25 ACP is basically 45-50 grn centerfire original .22 LR, non-highspeed.  More reliable ignition, heavier bullet, slightly slower.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/25auto.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The whole reason the 25acp exists is that 22lr was not reliable enough in the early 1900s. Browning basically made a cemterfire round in a minimal package.

Around the house I keep a pair of North American Arms revolvers handy. Either a LR or a Magnum.  Bother wear revision C V grips on them.

http://www.revisioncv.com/catalog/4

I also have a beretta 21a with a bunch of mags and a keltec p3at I've had since the early 2000s and have unknown thousands of rounds through it.  Always qualified with it.  Replace springs once I think.  It rode in my vest for years for backup until I got a glock 26 for ankle carry.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
.32 ACP is the smallest round I'd ever want to carry for self defense.

As such, my Beretta Tomcat is a gun I bought when they first came out in the 90's and I really like it.  I shoot it decently well, and can reliably hit a 6" plate at 15 yards with it.  32 is decent step up in power and penetration compared to 25, and the Tomcat is big bigger than the Bobcat, so it's easier to shoot.

That said, unless you're in some commie state where you can't legally carry (for now), I don't understand this "deep cover" theme.  When is a regular person ever going to be be so looked at / inspected that they can't carry at least a J-frame on them?  It's not like you're an undercover narc who's going to a buy and gets patted down, so you need a .25 in your drawers in case "things go down!"

Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting video. The 25acp is stopped by the sternum in the ballistics dummy used

How Lethal Are Pocket Pistols ??? (Part 1)
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
When i do carry a 32, i use Lehigh bullets

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Today’s pocket dump. Galesi 503B, an old Camillus scout pattern and a few odds and ends.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48960/37461787-DF6B-4C88-B62E-C8518BE78167-2309894.jpg
View Quote

Tell me about the fountain pen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
And I thought a mouse gun was either an AR15 or a .22 with ratshot in it.

I did see a guy kill a mouse with an old Colt Frontier Scout (.22 long rifle) in his garage one night.

I was working on my car in my father-in-law's garage.  He came out to see what I was doing and we talked a bit before I saw a mouse run across the joists above the car.  I pointed and said, "Roger, look at that mouse."  He told me he didn't have any mice in his garage.  We continued to talk and I saw it on the wall above the back door and pointed it out to him.  He turned, left the garage through the front door and came back a few minutes later with his old Colt.  He'd had it since he was a teenager and put many thousands of rounds through it over the year and was a dead shot with it.

We talked some more and all the sudden he turned, raised the gun up and fired and the mouse that had been running across the joist fell to the floor in front of my car.  He said, "Told you I don't have mice in my garage."  I said, "Roger, you just shot a hole in the roof."  He looked at me and replied, "Yeah, but it's a little hole."  Then he tossed the mouse into the stove and went back inside the house.

The man was left handed but always carried his revolvers on his right hip and shot them right handed.  I asked him, once, why he shot his rifles/shotguns left handed and his handguns right handed and he said, "Wasn't no such thing as a left handed holster around here when I was younger."
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

Tell me about the fountain pen.
View Quote

That’s a Kaweco AL Sport Espresso Brown special edition I picked up in Washington D.C. when I was up there protecting democracy from the greatest threat democracy has ever faced.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]

That’s a Kaweco AL Sport Espresso Brown special edition I picked up in Washington D.C. when I was up there protecting democracy from the greatest threat democracy has ever faced.

View Quote

I have the same in a Demonstrator with a broad nib. excellent little pens.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 5:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ACP] [#13]
Across the pond “Vest pocket pistols” are a thing:

http://www.vestpockets.bauli.at/

Using the menu options in the upper left, you can see what we’re missing out on due to GCA68, when these lil’ things were prohibited.

There’s a 6,35/.25ACP of the PSM called Baikal IJ75/ Baikal 441, which would be cool as shit:

History:

"PSM" means "pistolet samosarjadnij malogabaritnij", which means "selfloading pistol of small dimensions".
In 1973 the Izhevsk Mechanical Plant began producing the 5.45mm PSM small self-loading pistol developed by a group of Tula designers: Tikhon Lashnev, Anatoly Samarin and Lev Kulikov. Before designing the PSM pistol in 1969, they had already accumulated rich experience in developing sports and hunting weapons. The same group headed by Lashnev had developed a rapid fire sports pistol. Subsequently, they used its separate design features to create the PSM pistol.
The cartridge for the pistol was developed by Antonina Denisskaya, designer from the Precision Mechanical Engineering Central Research Institute.
Conceptually, the PSM is a pistol for concealed carrying. Owing to the overall dimensions and weight of this class of pistol they can be carried in clothing pockets without the holster. The designers of the cartridge-pistol complex, apparently inspired by the idea of creating a compact pistol possessing sufficient destructive power, had to develop a new and unique 5.45mm cartridge. In terms of overall dimensions, the 5.45mm MPTs pistol cartridge is virtually identical to the 6.35mm Browning pistol. In terms of muzzle energy, the cartridge surpasses the Browning cartridge by 1.2 to 1.5 times and is somewhat better than the rimfire high-velocity cartridge .22LR HV. In terms of specific energy (ratio of muzzle energy to bullet cross section area), the MPTs cartridge surpasses the 6.35mm cartridge 1.5 to 2 times and the .22 cartridge 1.1 times. This characteristic determines the depth of bullet penetration into soft tissue and penetrating effect. So for instance it is told, that the normal amount of kevlar-levels used in a protection vest was clearly blown through.
The pistol was primarily intended for army high command staff. However, owing to its insignificant dimensions, especially small thickness it soon became popular with security and law enforcement personnel. The PSM was also appreciated by higher echelon Party functionaries.
The great political changes in the world during the late 1980s and early 1990s led to the appearance of the Russian small pistol on the Western arms market. Drawing on the PSM standard pistol, enterprise designers developed an export version, the IZh-75. Bearing in mind the destructive criteria for weapons imported to the U.S.A., the enterprise developed the pistol, nicknamed Baikal-441 and chambered for the .25 ACP cartridge that is widespread in Europe and America. Version with or without adjustable rear side have been distributed.
The picture shows the .25 model for export.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Almost all mouseguns, even .22 LR ones, will make a 12" blind hole through ballistic get.  The error comes when folks want to load hollowpoints.  IF the hollowpoint expands, then it won't go 12".  Ergo, use FMJ or LRN from a mousegun, other than .380 & up.  .32 ACP is a fun round to practice w/, very manageable, although I keep casting covetous eyes at the Ruger MAX .380.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By W_E_G:  This too, shall pass.

Hopefully before you ever try to defend yourself with that thing.

Almost all mouseguns, even .22 LR ones, will make a 12" blind hole through ballistic get.  The error comes when folks want to load hollowpoints.  IF the hollowpoint expands, then it won't go 12".  Ergo, use FMJ or LRN from a mousegun, other than .380 & up.  .32 ACP is a fun round to practice w/, very manageable, although I keep casting covetous eyes at the Ruger MAX .380.

A buddy of mine carries an NAA revolver in .22 magnum as a “ get off me gun”…….. and uses hornady ammo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 32ACP:
Across the pond "Vest pocket pistols" are a thing:

Using the menu options in the upper left, you can see what we're missing out on due to GCA68, when these lil' things were prohibited.

There's a 6,35/.25ACP of the PSM called Baikal IJ75/ Baikal 441, which would be cool as shit:

History:

"PSM" means "pistolet samosarjadnij malogabaritnij", which means "selfloading pistol of small dimensions".
In 1973 the Izhevsk Mechanical Plant began producing the 5.45mm PSM small self-loading pistol developed by a group of Tula designers: Tikhon Lashnev, Anatoly Samarin and Lev Kulikov. Before designing the PSM pistol in 1969, they had already accumulated rich experience in developing sports and hunting weapons. The same group headed by Lashnev had developed a rapid fire sports pistol. Subsequently, they used its separate design features to create the PSM pistol.
The cartridge for the pistol was developed by Antonina Denisskaya, designer from the Precision Mechanical Engineering Central Research Institute.
Conceptually, the PSM is a pistol for concealed carrying. Owing to the overall dimensions and weight of this class of pistol they can be carried in clothing pockets without the holster. The designers of the cartridge-pistol complex, apparently inspired by the idea of creating a compact pistol possessing sufficient destructive power, had to develop a new and unique 5.45mm cartridge. In terms of overall dimensions, the 5.45mm MPTs pistol cartridge is virtually identical to the 6.35mm Browning pistol. In terms of muzzle energy, the cartridge surpasses the Browning cartridge by 1.2 to 1.5 times and is somewhat better than the rimfire high-velocity cartridge .22LR HV. In terms of specific energy (ratio of muzzle energy to bullet cross section area), the MPTs cartridge surpasses the 6.35mm cartridge 1.5 to 2 times and the .22 cartridge 1.1 times. This characteristic determines the depth of bullet penetration into soft tissue and penetrating effect. So for instance it is told, that the normal amount of kevlar-levels used in a protection vest was clearly blown through.
The pistol was primarily intended for army high command staff. However, owing to its insignificant dimensions, especially small thickness it soon became popular with security and law enforcement personnel. The PSM was also appreciated by higher echelon Party functionaries.
The great political changes in the world during the late 1980s and early 1990s led to the appearance of the Russian small pistol on the Western arms market. Drawing on the PSM standard pistol, enterprise designers developed an export version, the IZh-75. Bearing in mind the destructive criteria for weapons imported to the U.S.A., the enterprise developed the pistol, nicknamed Baikal-441 and chambered for the .25 ACP cartridge that is widespread in Europe and America. Version with or without adjustable rear side have been distributed.
The picture shows the .25 model for export.
View Quote
Nice find!
Bookmarked.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I recently got me a beastly pocket gun. It’s highly unpleasant, ugly and has a hateful trigger, but it works, and is surprisingly accurate once you get used to the groove sight channel up top.
This is a pocket full of pure, recoil-driven hatred from the most ridiculous corner of firearm hell.
If it runs dry, I’ll jam it into a sock and use it as a blackjack.

I give you…the AMT Backup 45.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:  I recently got me a beastly pocket gun. It’s highly unpleasant, ugly and has a hateful trigger, but it works, and is surprisingly accurate once you get used to the groove sight channel up top.
This is a pocket full of pure, recoil-driven hatred from the most ridiculous corner of firearm hell.
If it runs dry, I’ll jam it into a sock and use it as a blackjack.

I give you…the AMT Backup 45.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48960/E88FF178-1750-4E73-8675-5E6B2F9AC247-2384378.jpg
View Quote

Isn't the trigger using the recoil spring or some such ridiculousness?  The little AMT .380 SA was probably the better gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Isn't the trigger using the recoil spring or some such ridiculousness?  The little AMT .380 SA was probably the better gun.
View Quote

No, it’s the opposite: the mainspring tensions the hammer against the slide to provide resistance IOT maintain lock time.

That’s why they have such abominable triggers, BUT, if you can manage the trigger, these little hogs are mechanically very accurate. Mine printed within 1” at seven yards, slow fire, and was not terrible to shoot once you know what to expect.

It also fits like a glove in my IWB 1911 holsters, which is a distinct bonus.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Define mousegun - the size of the gun, or the size of the cartridge?

Would you consider a Colt 1903/1908 Pocket Hammerless a mousegun?

If so...what if I told you there was a 10+1 flush fit mag 9mm that was identical in dimension to a 1903/1908, down to even including the bottom-hinged grip safety...the only exception being it's slightly wider than the old Colt? It can also be had with or without a thumb safety, and it's drop-safe, unlike the old Colt, which is not drop safe...not even after they redid the sear/hammer in the 1920s after serial number 400,000 or so.

The S&W Equalizer...in 9mm...meets those criteria. You can even mount an optic to it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

If so...what if I told you there was a 10+1 flush fit mag 9mm that was identical in dimension to a 1903/1908, down to even including the bottom-hinged grip safety...the only exception being it's slightly wider than the old Colt? It can also be had with or without a thumb safety, and it's drop-safe, unlike the old Colt, which is not drop safe...not even after they redid the sear/hammer in the 1920s after serial number 400,000 or so.

The S&W Equalizer...in 9mm...meets those criteria. You can even mount an optic to it.
View Quote

32 acp and below
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

View Quote

I think the lines are blurring.  Particularly since the pejorative mouse was applied AFTER the discovery of antibiotics.  In 1908, a .32 ACP to the gut was probably not survivable.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CharlesRyan:
I sometimes carry a Keltec P32 with european FMJ (not sure what brand, but the bullet and primer have red sealant and the projectile is steel/silver), seems hotter than Winchester and Remington loads. My wife has a NAA Guardian in .32acp but hates the trigger and its unreliable so she never carries it. I've never had a malfunction with my Keltec P32, but I've only ran 4-5 boxes through it.
View Quote

Might have been RWS.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MRW:  32 all the things

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/IMG-0587-189586.jpg
View Quote

There do not appear to be any revolvers in that photograph.  You are lacking, good sir.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#25]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MRW:  You work hard at triggering me.  I have some 32 revolver ammo, but no gun yet...

I have a charter 32 mag in my wishlist on Gunbroker...

Here's a 32ACP Beretta automatic, on concrete just for you  , and which is not a pocket gun

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/4C18ADED-B85D-4A0C-A530-2C412E7DAA8D-1087959.jpg
View Quote

Goddamnit!  Hope you didn't scratch it.  We're both easily triggered.  

It's not that I'm trying to annoy you - I'm a gun dealer, I just want you to buy more guns, which helps the gun economy in general - so purely self-interest on my part.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MRW:
you're a gun dealer, I'm a gun buyer, perhaps we should get together sometime...

what 32 revolver would you recommend?  for the "mousegun" category?
View Quote

Ah, can't sell you a mousegun, you live in Florida.

But the .327 and .32 H&R snubs would fit the bill.  I'm holding out for a .30 SC...
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#29]

There do not appear to be any revolvers in that photograph.  You are lacking, good sir.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MRW:  32 all the things

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/IMG-0587-189586.jpg

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#30]
A few years ago I ran across this gun called a "Chantecler Depose" in .25 ACP at a gun show, then stumbled upon a Tanfoglio GT27 at a pawn shop, then picked up a Raven MP-25 from a co-orker and before I knew it I had a fairly good collection of ammo, so I ordered a Phoenix HP25A, which is one of the last 25 ACP guns still being made as far as I can tell.

I have never carried any of them. I have plenty of pocket .380 and 9mm pistols for that.

Attachment Attached File

I do have brass and dies for reloading but have never found bullets. I was told by a friend reloading for 25 ACP can be difficult  because the charges need to be exact. Apparently a grain over or under in that small size makes a tremendous difference.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#31]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2664832_1st-of-a-series-what-would-you-carry-in-1920-.html

The last hurrah of the mousegun before Penicillin was discovered.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top