Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 11/6/2002 5:11:56 AM EDT
On another board on the net, a gun writer and a pistolsmith are discussing reviving the ASP concept, but using a modern design, easily available handgun for the base. One that is a strong contender is the Kahr K9. I was fortunate enough to own to ASP's in the past. 1st was built on a 39-2 and the 2nd on a 439 (I was also foolish enough to sell them [whacks self in head repeatedly], before they became the collectors items they are today).

I think the K9 would be a GREAT base gun, following the ASP concept, but omitting the Guttersnipe sight (never got used to them!) and the lexan grips (every set I had cracked around the grip escusions, within 100 rounds).

So, what would you think of such a customised K9/New ASP?? You thoughts and observations, please.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:52:26 PM EDT
I think it's an unnecessary, expensive concept, especially since the Kahr K9, unmodified, meets almost every design criteria for the ASP. The P9 is even closer due to its lighter weight. I just don't see the utility.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:57:20 AM EDT
I think the ASP concept is dated. It has been made obsolete by the current crop of compact autos. I did and still do like the guttersnipe sighting system....always intrigued me. What was it about the sights you didn't like, beachboy? I don't own a firearm with the system, but thought about converting an NAA guardian at one point. Also saw a Glock in Combat Handguns a couple of years back that had a guttersnipe.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 4:26:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By agony:
I think the ASP concept is dated. It has been made obsolete by the current crop of compact autos. I did and still do like the guttersnipe sighting system....always intrigued me. What was it about the sights you didn't like, beachboy? I don't own a firearm with the system, but thought about converting an NAA guardian at one point. Also saw a Glock in Combat Handguns a couple of years back that had a guttersnipe.

I think you can trace a developmental line from the ASP to the boxy 469 and 669 and then the 3913/3914 single stack 9mm's by S&W. I had a customised 3913 built by Kurt Wickmann and Ken Novak that was a near replacement.
For me the Guttersnipe sights were a struggle to use, for 2 reasons. One due to years of using conventional front and rear sights, I had a tendancy to elevate the front of the slide when sighting, looking for a non-exsisting front sight. And due to the fact that I carried conventionally sighted handguns as a LEO at the time I could not dedicate myself to the Guttersnipe concept. Also I am cross dominate, right handed and left master eye. This too, caused me to have to slow down and concentrate on using and balancing the Guttersnipe sight plane.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:25:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/10/2002 5:27:59 AM EDT by Beachboy]

Originally Posted By Wardog_6:
I think it's an unnecessary, expensive concept, especially since the Kahr K9, unmodified, meets almost every design criteria for the ASP. The P9 is even closer due to its lighter weight. I just don't see the utility.

There are several features that would be a plus on the K9. Such as an extensive "dehorning" like the ASP's had, there were no sharp edges on those guns. Truly felt like a "well used bar of soap" The grips and magazines modified to allow an easy ammo capacity check at a glance. The trigger guard modified to allow the tip of the dominant index finger to slip by with out resistance, are just a few that come to mind.
Besides, owning a true custom handgun isn't always about utility...sometimes it's about wanting something unique. Can't always point to justifiable reasons as much as just...because I want it!...
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:17:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Beachboy:

There are several features that would be a plus on the K9. Such as an extensive "dehorning" like the ASP's had, there were no sharp edges on those guns. Truly felt like a "well used bar of soap"

I can see the removal of sharp edges. Okay.

The grips and magazines modified to allow an easy ammo capacity check at a glance.

Bzzztt!!! Take your eyes off a potential threat to check your ammo? No, thanks!

The trigger guard modified to allow the tip of the dominant index finger to slip by with out resistance, are just a few that come to mind.

No big deal there. That's the old "Bill Jordan" shaved triggerguard trick.

Besides, owning a true custom handgun isn't always about utility...sometimes it's about wanting something unique. Can't always point to justifiable reasons as much as just...because I want it!...

Now THAT I can understand.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Top Top