Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 6:27:19 PM EDT
I am replacing the ILS mainspring housing on my GI 45 and was wondering if I must also replace the Mainspring and mainspring cap?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you do because you also have to replace the hammer strut.  It is shorter due to the ILS system.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the parts I need?

MS Housing Pin
MS Pin Retainer
MS Cap
MS Cap Pin
Hammer Strut
Manispring

Is this about right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What are the parts I need?

MS Housing Pin
MS Pin Retainer
MS Cap
MS Cap Pin
Hammer Strut
Manispring

Is this about right?

Yep.  You can probably use the original MS housing pin and the retainer pin unless the retainer pin is a different size.  What type of MS housing are you going with?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I am adding one with a magwell - Ed Brown Maxi Well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Hobbs. The Springfield ILS does not have a MS cap retaining pin, so I do need to pick one up. I am going to pick up a hammer strut just in case. I hate it when you order parts and come up one short.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Double post
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes you do because you also have to replace the hammer strut.  It is shorter due to the ILS system.

Where does that idea come from? I haven't heard this one before and haven't seen any evidence that this may be true. The hammerstrut in my 9161 is standard 1911 length.

May I suggest that you check that one again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I took mine apart this evening.  The hammer strut is fine.  Sorry for the bad gouge.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I just finished putting it in and I did not need to change the hammer strut. I did change the mainspring components though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top