User Panel

Springfield Prodigy (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

@DOE
Thanks, I would think that is more of a Springfield issue than a 10-8 as 10-8, but I went with the EGW reverser plug and gi rod. Though I haven't shot it yet.
Also, just picked up a 5" as I prefer full size since I won't be carrying it, so the 4.25" is going on the chopping block.
View Quote

Roger that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just picked up my 5"  from NCGunGallery.
Fit and finish is good. Hopefully it won't become a rattle trap like my 4.25" has since the cerakote has worn off.
Trigger is garbage, just like my previous 5" and my 4.25", but I have adjusted the sear spring some and it's a little better.

View Quote

That was fast, I was hoping mine would show up early like yours did.  I am anticipating getting here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SilentDeath12886:

That was fast, I was hoping mine would show up early like yours did.  I am anticipating getting here tomorrow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Just picked up my 5"  from NCGunGallery.
Fit and finish is good. Hopefully it won't become a rattle trap like my 4.25" has since the cerakote has worn off.
Trigger is garbage, just like my previous 5" and my 4.25", but I have adjusted the sear spring some and it's a little better.

Yea, was 2 day shipping but pretty much ended up being overnight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#4]

Yea, was 2 day shipping but pretty much ended up being overnight.
View Quote

I'm in PA so it was a little further for it to go. I was hoping that I was within UPS's 1 day/overnight range.

Just picked mine up tonight and it looks good to go.  Its about what I expected for a lowend 2011.  Only complaint is the bag with the optics plate looks like it was chewed up, but looks unused.  Maybe just the screws and points on the plate poking the bag when being shipped. Everything looks pristine. I was excited to see they included an optics plate, to soon be disappointed it was their 13B plate which is for their HEX Dragonfly, Vortex Viper, Burris FF2/4, and Crimson Trace optics.  Plan is to go Holosun EPS or 407C or 407K.

Plan to swap out all of the MIM parts and add a couple of premium parts which was the plan all along if I came across a cheap Prodigy instead of saving up the coin for a Staccato.  If I estimated everything right, I should still be ~$600 cheaper than a Staccato P DUO. Prodigy $1k, $500 in parts, plus estimating $400 for parts fitting.  What I save would probably go into chunk porting the 5"er since I really wanted a comp'd 4.25".
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
New improved version releasing soon?
The price of current 5" version was insane... it was like $1,111 shipped to my FFL after all fees.
What parts should I replace?
I don't want to replace everything... but wanted something close to my STI DVC reliability.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By coolhand:
New improved version releasing soon?
The price of current 5" version was insane... it was like $1,111 shipped to my FFL after all fees.
What parts should I replace?
I don't want to replace everything... but wanted something close to my STI DVC reliability.
View Quote

My plans were replacing the following due to some issues of people reporting the disconnector hanging up on the slide and MIM parts being a possible future failure point:

EGW Ignition kit, Slide Stop
Extractor
Atlas Trigger/guiderod
Staccato Safety
Staccato firing pin/stop
Dawson Pin set
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like quite a few parts to replace but still cheaper than most other 2011s.

My plans were replacing the following due to some issues of people reporting the disconnector hanging up on the slide and MIM parts being a possible future failure point:

EGW Ignition kit, Slide Stop
Extractor
Atlas Trigger/guiderod
Staccato Safety
Staccato firing pin/stop
Dawson Pin set
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#8]
Looks like quite a few parts to replace but still cheaper than most other 2011s.
View Quote

A Staccato P with optics cut is $2500 from their site.  I got my Prodigy 5" for $1k.

Adding quality parts and some "want" parts, I'll be adding about $600 in parts plus I figure about $400 in fitting.  Still $500 under a comparable Staccato which will allow me to add optics plate, optic and light for the same price of that same comparable Staccato. I know the extra price is all the extra hand fitting and the warranty that comes with a factory gun, but I am hoping after the build it done, that it'll perform close to a XC.

The parts I listed can be had for around $500 depending on brand/submodels you pick. Add some labor for fitting.

The 5" will also let me do the chunk port mod down the road and not sacrifice a lot of barrel length.

The biggest issue I have right now is finding a good active retention holster for it.  I heard a Safariland 6390 for a S&W M&P C.O.R.E. pistol would be compatible with a little fitting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Excellent info especially the porting capabilities.

A Staccato P with optics cut is $2500 from their site.  I got my Prodigy 5" for $1k.

Adding quality parts and some "want" parts, I'll be adding about $600 in parts plus I figure about $400 in fitting.  Still $500 under a comparable Staccato which will allow me to add optics plate, optic and light for the same price of that same comparable Staccato. I know the extra price is all the extra hand fitting and the warranty that comes with a factory gun, but I am hoping after the build it done, that it'll perform close to a XC.

The parts I listed can be had for around $500 depending on brand/submodels you pick. Add some labor for fitting.

The 5" will also let me do the chunk port mod down the road and not sacrifice a lot of barrel length.

The biggest issue I have right now is finding a good active retention holster for it.  I heard a Safariland 6390 for a S&W M&P C.O.R.E. pistol would be compatible with a little fitting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

This is what I opted to do:

Prodigy Build List

SA 5” Prodigy - $1274.15

Cheely Extra Short Trigger - $70
Dawson Precision Extended Firing Pin - $11.81
Dawson Precision STI Gen 1 magwell - $47.36
Dawson Precision Tool-less guide rod - $70.30
EGW ignition kit w/lightened hammer - $121.50
EGW pin kit - $17.00
EGW practical extractor - $18.35
EGW stainless hammer strut - $9.00
Monsoon Tactical Lucky 7 ports - $285.00
SA RMR A14b Plate - $51.00
STI Firing Pin Stop - $35.99
STI Slide Stop - $13.49
Wilson High Ride Ambi Safety - $47.16
Wolff firing pin spring - XP - $0.00
Wolff mainspring - 17 lb - $3.65
Wolff recoil spring - 7 lb - $6.71
Wolff Plunger Spring - $2.97
Grip Stippled - $110.00

Total for Parts - $921.29

Gun & Parts - $2,195.44

Most parts stripped and DLC coated - $0.00
Holosun 507c ACSS - $271.99

Gun/Parts/Optic - $2,467.43

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#11]
How much fitting was required on all of the various small parts? Cost to have all the small parts fitted?

Did the Gen1 magwell fit better than a Gen2?

I sent my grip to Kduly this Monday, its already enroute back to me ( Thurs).  Great turn around, certainly the fastest turn around of anything that I've ever need service on! Expected to arrive back on Saturday, so Monday to Saturday start to finish.

Originally Posted By -CRW-:

Prodigy Build List

SA 5” Prodigy - $1274.15

EGW pin kit - $17.00
STI Slide Stop - $13.49
Grip Stippled - $110.00

Gun & Parts - $2,195.44

https://i.imgur.com/wsEWdXf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ydHGaYu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1sk0MEX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/65dvxlg.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
How much fitting was required on all of the various small parts? Cost to have all the small parts fitted?

Did the Gen1 magwell fit better than a Gen2?

I sent my grip to Kduly this Monday, its already enroute back to me ( Thurs).  Great turn around, certainly the fastest turn around of anything that I've ever need service on! Expected to arrive back on Saturday, so Monday to Saturday start to finish.

View Quote

The parts that required fitting in mine were the trigger bow, the firing pin stop, the extractor due to the optic screw protruding into the extractor channel, and the thumb safety.  I opted to fit the lobe protrusion on the slide stop slightly to make it better match the recess in the slide.  The EGW kit dropped in without issue, though the sear spring required some tuning. I did the work myself.  

I have not tried the Gen2 magwells.  But the frame is modeled after the Gen1 STI frames.  So it would make sense to purchase items designed for Gen1 frames.  It just takes a little pressure to seat and I opt to use a rubber or plastic mallet to give it a few taps to seat.  

@Kduly did a great job on mine.  You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#13]

The parts that required fitting in mine were the trigger bow, the firing pin stop, the extractor due to the optic screw protruding into the extractor channel, and the thumb safety.  I opted to fit the lobe protrusion on the slide stop slightly to make it better match the recess in the slide.  The EGW kit dropped in without issue, though the sear spring required some tuning. I did the work myself.  

I have not tried the Gen2 magwells.  But the frame is modeled after the Gen1 STI frames.  So it would make sense to purchase items designed for Gen1 frames.  It just takes a little pressure to seat and I opt to use a rubber or plastic mallet to give it a few taps to seat.  

@Kduly did a great job on mine.  You won't be disappointed.
View Quote

Shit I bet that's what was stopping my EGW extractor from going in.  Gonna check on that later.

Everything else I replaced dropped in.  Brazos ignition kit, trigger.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
I would love to see a pic if you get a chance.  I've never seen anything like I think you're describing.
View Quote

The extractor channel cut appears factory. I'm still puzzled why SA went this way.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By leelaw:

https://www.apt401.com/ProdigyCut1.jpg

https://www.apt401.com/ProdigyCut2.jpg

The extractor channel cut appears factory. I'm still puzzled why SA went this way.
View Quote

I don’t think SA did go that way. That is the only sample I’m aware of that was cut like that. I’m still thinking that was bubba smithed to lighten slide weight.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]

I don’t think SA did go that way. That is the only sample I’m aware of that was cut like that. I’m still thinking that was bubba smithed to lighten slide weight.
View Quote

Dunno what to tell ya other than I was told the pistol was stock, the millwork and finish is consistent with the other internals, and I believe the guy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#17]

View Quote

Bought my Prodigy 5" about 2 weeks ago. Brand new.  The window is cut out so I can see the extractor very clearly as well.

Since my slide is currently stripped, I can see the screw that the cover plate.  It does protrude significantly into the holes and I could see how a screw would impede a proper install of an extractor if its just a hair to long.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Bought my Prodigy 5" about 2 weeks ago. Brand new.  The window is cut out so I can see the extractor very clearly as well.

Since my slide is currently stripped, I can see the screw that the cover plate.  It does protrude significantly into the holes and I could see how a screw would impede a proper install of an extractor if its just a hair to long.
View Quote

Interesting. Maybe it’s from more recent runs. What is your serial number range?

It’s been a long held belief/understanding that 5” isn’t the best slide length for 9mm in the 2011 platform. That’s why most are around 4.4” and/or the last inch or so is either a sight block or built in compensator so that only 4.4” or less of slide is actually moving under recoil.

I assume SA is doing that to try and remove weight to help the slide function. Seems like a bad place to cut considering how much carbon would likely get into the extractor channel and eventually cause malfunctions by limiting the extractors ability to flex. However, window cuts in the exterior of the slide could allow for debris to get into the action and cause malfunctions as well. Though, as a customer I’d prefer slide cuts to lower the weight over what they seem to have opted for.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a 520xx serial 4.25”… no cut up into extractor channel on mine.
I wonder if that’s a 5” only thing.

Seems like would increase required maintenance… massive trap for any shavings off cases and carbon / powder residues.

It’s easy to tear down and pull the extractor for a cleaning, but also seems dumb they send screws that extend into the channel.
I have a 509T mounted on mine and I wasn’t able to see any protrusion when I mounted the plate, pulled the extractor and checked with strong light and dropped a couple spare extractors in… no binding at all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:22:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -CRW-] [#20]
Standard extractors will fit. It’s the oversized extractors that run into the screw like the EGW HD or the EGW Practical with its larger locating/centering bulb.

And if it’s a slide weight savings measure it would make sense to do it on the 5” and not the 4.25”.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Standard extractors will fit. It’s the oversized extractors that run into the screw like the EGW HD or the EGW Practical with its larger locating/centering bulb.

And if it’s a slide weight savings measure it would make sense to do it on the 5” and not the 4.25”.
View Quote

I was able to drop an EGW Practical into my 4.25 without having to touch the bulb up... but the only vertical screws are the plate screws for the 509T optic plate.  May well be a different story if I swap plates to the RMR plate I have laid back.

I get the idea of slide weight cutting... but it seems odd to open that extractor channel to debris to shave a gram or three of metal out.  They could have notched the cocking serrations forward and rear a hair deeper and gotten the same savings and not had that channel open.

I may grab a 5" here soon as I'm enjoying modifying the 4.25"... but If that channel is cut open on the current models, I may have to wait for more feedback on any issues it could manifest.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By OiRogers:

I was able to drop an EGW Practical into my 4.25 without having to touch the bulb up... but the only vertical screws are the plate screws for the 509T optic plate.  May well be a different story if I swap plates to the RMR plate I have laid back.

I get the idea of slide weight cutting... but it seems odd to open that extractor channel to debris to shave a gram or three of metal out.  They could have notched the cocking serrations forward and rear a hair deeper and gotten the same savings and not had that channel open.

I may grab a 5" here soon as I'm enjoying modifying the 4.25"... but If that channel is cut open on the current models, I may have to wait for more feedback on any issues it could manifest.
View Quote

No clue as to why you didn’t have the screw issue. Maybe it’s the different plate or maybe it’s another change SA has implemented. Several of us in the big Prodigy thread had the same problem and it was in both 4.25” and 5” models. But I believe it was all with RMR plates.

In hindsight it would have been better and easier to shorten the screw, but I doubt I’ll ever change the extractor so it is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Where did you get the stippling done??  I am not a fan of the stock style and it builds up with dirt quick

Prodigy Build List

SA 5” Prodigy - $1274.15

EGW pin kit - $17.00
STI Slide Stop - $13.49
Grip Stippled - $110.00

Gun & Parts - $2,195.44

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jason248:
Where did you get the stippling done??  I am not a fan of the stock style and it builds up with dirt quick
View Quote

@kduly did the stippling. He’s a member here and on 1911addicts. Just send him a message.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

So weird. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#26]

@kduly did the stippling. He’s a member here and on 1911addicts. Just send him a message.
View Quote

Did you get the EGW Prodigy specific ignition kit or did you get their generic Ignition Kit from EGW?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Did you get the EGW Prodigy specific ignition kit or did you get their generic Ignition Kit from EGW?
View Quote

Get the Prodigy kit, the “standard” comes with their Evolved sear spring that won’t work in the Prodigy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Get the Prodigy kit, the “standard” comes with their Evolved sear spring that won’t work in the Prodigy.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Went to go order the Ignition Prodigy kit over the weekend, but of course they were out of stock when they were having their sale!
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Get the Prodigy kit, the "standard" comes with their Evolved sear spring that won't work in the Prodigy.
View Quote

What is it about the "evolved" sear spring that won't work?  Even the standard Colt spring requires some tuning to shorten the disconnector leg and polishing for smooth function.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#31]
@-CRW-

How is the slide/frame fit after having things DLC'd?  Who did the DLC?

I'm thinking of flat-topping the slide, and maybe porting it and I'm leaning towards DLC when I refinish it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By blwngazkit:

What is it about the "evolved" sear spring that won't work?  Even the standard Colt spring requires some tuning to shorten the disconnector leg and polishing for smooth function.
View Quote

It’s the left leaf/sear leaf that is too long. You can’t shorten it due to the nature of the design. The evolved spring is designed for 1911’s with sear spring slots that are machined too low in the frame.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#33]
@-CRW-

How is the slide/frame fit after having things DLC'd?  Who did the DLC?

I'm thinking of flat-topping the slide, and maybe porting it and I'm leaning towards DLC when I refinish it.
View Quote

The slide to frame fit is slightly looser feeling, but the barrel to slide lock up is still very tight. The slide to frame fit provides little in accuracy and the stripping of the Cerakote for DLC coating made the gun cycle much smoother. I’m able to run a 7 lb recoil spring in mine with any ammo I’ve tried which has been JHP and FMJ from multiple brands in 114/124/147.

I used a company called NISU Labs locally. They primarily do machine parts for the oil and gas industry. My coating is already wearing in some spots where there is metal on metal contact. I’m not sure if that’s an issue with their coating or an issue with the parts tolerances in the gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#34]

The slide to frame fit is slightly looser feeling, but the barrel to slide lock up is still very tight. The slide to frame fit provides little in accuracy and the stripping of the Cerakote for DLC coating made the gun cycle much smoother. I'm able to run a 7 lb recoil spring in mine with any ammo I've tried which has been JHP and FMJ from multiple brands in 114/124/147.

I used a company called NISU Labs locally. They primarily do machine parts for the oil and gas industry. My coating is already wearing in some spots where there is metal on metal contact. I'm not sure if that's an issue with their coating or an issue with the parts tolerances in the gun.
View Quote

Did you blast the Cerakote off or ...?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont hate them, but if you are going to buy a staccato buy a staccato.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Did you blast the Cerakote off or ...?
View Quote

The lab sand blasted it before applying the dlc coating.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Went to go order the Ignition Prodigy kit over the weekend, but of course they were out of stock when they were having their sale!
View Quote

When I did mine they didn't have the kit in stock either, so I just ordered all the parts separately, just be sure to get the correct sear spring.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I dont hate them, but if you are going to buy a staccato buy a staccato.
View Quote

Already have a P model that I use very frequently.
Ran across the 4.25" Prodigy for a steal of a price and decided to get that too...

Shall I check with you on any further gun purchases to make sure they're okay prior to buying?

Ignorant comment is ignorant.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Has the public figured out around what serial numbers SA started with the revised 5"  I was looking to buy one and have the DSX mod completed on it but now that may be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone know where I could lay hands on a threaded Prodigy barrel?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Debo75:
Does anyone know where I could lay hands on a threaded Prodigy barrel?
View Quote

There really is no such thing as a drop in barrel for 1911/2011’s. You’d need to have one fit.

There is this service being offered that could be done to your current barrel:

https://jkarmament.com/products/springfield-prodigy-threading-service/
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
I would love to see a pic if you get a chance.  I've never seen anything like I think you're describing.

My 5" has the cuts as well. # 13952
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#44]
My 5" has the cuts as well. # 13952
View Quote

What’s really is odd is my 5” does NOT have them and it’s serial number is 14xxx.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I just ordered one as a beater gun to help with learning double stack 1911’s
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#46]

What’s really odd is my 5” does NOT have them and it’s serial number is 14xxx.
View Quote

Even more interesting is that I just bought a used prodigy that is 01xxx and it too has the cuts...Now I am confused unhappy and don't know if I'll be having the DSX conversion completed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Carolina_K:

Even more interesting is that I just bought a used prodigy that is 01xxx and it too has the cuts...Now I am confused unhappy and don't know if I'll be having the DSX conversion completed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Carolina_K:

What’s really odd is my 5” does NOT have them and it’s serial number is 14xxx.

Despite my serial number being over 14k, my 5” was bought the day the Prodigy was released and picked up the next day.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Prodigy Build List

SA 5” Prodigy - $1274.15

EGW pin kit - $17.00
STI Slide Stop - $13.49
Grip Stippled - $110.00

Gun & Parts - $2,195.44

View All Quotes

Prodigy Build List

SA 5” Prodigy - $1274.15

EGW pin kit - $17.00
STI Slide Stop - $13.49
Grip Stippled - $110.00

Gun & Parts - $2,195.44

Why the extended firing pin?
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Innawoods_larper:

Why the extended firing pin?
View Quote

I dropped the mainspring weight down to 17 lbs. The extended firing pin and current standard (xp) firing pin spring ensure reliable primer ignition.

As opposed to the double xp firing pin spring and light weight firing pin SA uses stock as extra insurance for drop safety. This requires them to use a heavy mainspring, up to 25 lbs from some reports.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Wonder where all the 20 rounders are.
Not quite in the market yet, but want to pick some up to have before Va goes permanent blue again.
Page / 4
Springfield Prodigy (Page 2 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top