Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 1:59:52 PM EDT
I turned 21 on the 10th of january and started looking for a ccw peice long story short I ended up with a RIA 1911 which right out of the box I couldnt get through a box of 50 fmj without problems so I sold it I didnt feel outgunned with only 8 rounds so I was thinking along the the lines of a .357 with a barrel no less than a 3", what brand of revolver would fit the bill for frequent range use and a ccw peice the only problem I have with S&W is the hiliary hole in the back of the hammer can you get them without it? , also how much does .357 and 38 special usually run for JHP for personal protection and regular fmj for range use
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You can shop around and find a nice used 357 Magnum S&W revolver, such as a 586, 686, 19, 13, 27 etc, in the $250 through the $400 range. They are nice pistols and all will shoot 38 Special loads for practice and traing. Wal Mart has ammo for both calibers in stock and their prices are hard to beat.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
thx for the info, is the price of the 686 you listed for a new or used one? Ive been to every shop in town and surrounding towns and have found very few or none at all of used revolvers
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Revolvers are a low demand slow resale item at this time. Everyone seems to want a sem-auto that is small, has high mag capacity with a big caliber and looks 'fast' or 'cool'.

That said, revolvers are still very good defense and target pistols. Firms like CDNNin Abilene, IIRC, have great deals on police dept trade-in revolvers. These are really good buys as they are carried a lot and shot very little.

Where are you in TX?

Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
for concealed carry - the S&W is hard to beat (Taurus and Charter offer similar items)

for luggin' around, hunting, etc., I can recommend the Ruger. (Ruger doesn't do "small, light" revolvers)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
southern part near corpus christi, so with the lack of demand for them does that make them more expensive or less?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
for concealed carry - the S&W is hard to beat (Taurus and Charter offer similar items)

for luggin' around, hunting, etc., I can recommend the Ruger. (Ruger doesn't do "small, light" revolvers)

while they aren't light, the ruger sp101 revolvers are a very good choice for ccw.  so far as i can tell the internal locks have not spoiled the sp101 family yet.

edit: welcome to the forum.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Low demand equals a lower price. But low demand also means less are on the shelf at any given time and the dealers will pay or give less for them on trade in. Good luck. Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Google search specific models and see waht comes up on Auction Arms, gunbroker, etc.
Lots of cheap, good revolvers there.
My recommendation: 3" model 65 smith$wesson (non-Ladysmith).
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]

so far as i can tell the internal locks have not spoiled the sp101 family yet

so theyve added internal locks to ruger revolvers?  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Since you are in the Corpus area you might want to consider a revolver in stainless steel. I don't know if the corrrosion is any worse living close to salt water but for me it would at least give a little mental relief.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

so far as i can tell the internal locks have not spoiled the sp101 family yet

so theyve added internal locks to ruger revolvers?  

i think they have on some single actions.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

while they aren't light, the ruger sp101 revolvers are a very good choice for ccw.  so far as i can tell the internal locks have not spoiled the sp101 family yet.

edit: welcome to the forum.

I agree.  The SP101 is a well built revolver, and is perfect for CCW.  

The Ruger is heavier than an S&W, but they are very well built and can handle the .357 Magnum loads without concern.  I have read several posts here that mention only shooting .38 Spl out of the AirWeight/Airweight type revolvers as prolonged use of the magnum loads can stress the lighter frames on the S&W models.

My thought is:  If you are only going to use .38 Spl, why buy a .357 Magnum revolver?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Since you are in the Corpus area you might want to consider a revolver in stainless steel. I don't know if the corrrosion is any worse living close to salt water but for me it would at least give a little mental relief.

Great point.  There is a tremendous amount of salt in the air in CC and stainless is the only way to go.  All of my guns are SS due to humidity here in Houston.

HH
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My thought is:  If you are only going to use .38 Spl, why buy a .357 Magnum revolver?

for the option i guess.  practice .38spl and carry .357mag?  i shoot 9mm so thats not a problem for me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for the option i guess.  practice .38spl and carry .357mag?  i shoot 9mm so thats not a problem for me.

I can understand that to an extent.  But if you hope to be effective with your CCW weapon, you should practice with the same type of rounds that you will be using in the event of a self defense situation.  If you have Magnum rounds for CCW, but are used to shooting .38's on the range, it is possible you will be ill prepared for the type of recoil from the bigger load and that could greatly reduce your ability to effectively and effciently handle your weapon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah but for general range use using the lighter ammo is understandable.  then you throug in a cylinder or two of the good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I second the S&W M65, that would be an excellent carry gun.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top