Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 10:45:37 PM EDT
After around 1000 rounds or more of flawless firing in my Custom TLE/RL II, I had several rounds fail to fire today. The primers were dented, but not as much as they should be. Does the mainspring need replacing?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely not, if it's the factory mainspring.  Unless you or someone else cut the mainspring, and I mean by more than a couple coils, it's not that.  The mainspring is designed to last many tens of thousands of rounds, and is quite a bit more powerful than it needs to be.

Anyway, you might have issues with your firing pin safety.  I would recommend going to a knowledgable smith, or calling Kimber.  

Of course, it could always be ammo related too.  I just had two misfires in a row on a reliable gun where the hammer dropped all the way.  It was a Springfield with no mechanical issues or a firing pin safety.  Neither primer had an indentation, and the gun was in perfect mechanical shape.

I had the same happen with a Glock during a class.  Of about 500 rounds fired, I probably had 70 failure to fires.  It was all bad primers in brand new LE Federal ammo.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Absolutely not, if it's the factory mainspring.  Unless you or someone else cut the mainspring, and I mean by more than a couple coils, it's not that.  The mainspring is designed to last many tens of thousands of rounds, and is quite a bit more powerful than it needs to be.

Anyway, you might have issues with your firing pin safety.  I would recommend going to a knowledgable smith, or calling Kimber.  

Of course, it could always be ammo related too.  I just had two misfires in a row on a reliable gun where the hammer dropped all the way.  It was a Springfield with no mechanical issues or a firing pin safety.  Neither primer had an indentation, and the gun was in perfect mechanical shape.

I had the same happen with a Glock during a class.  Of about 500 rounds fired, I probably had 70 failure to fires.  It was all bad primers in brand new LE Federal ammo.

Thanks for the info. I don't think it was the primers because after dropping the hammer on the same round several times failed to ignite it, I put the same bullet in my girlfriend's Colt and it went off the first time. Is replacing the firing pin (with a non-Kimber  one) a drop in replacement, or does it require fitting? I'd take it to a smith, but don't have any reputable ones locally.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Call Kimber, they will talk you through it and either figure it out or fix it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Drop in a Wilson series 70 firing pin.  It bypasses the series 2 safety and will most likely solve your problems.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Drop in a Wilson series 70 firing pin.  It bypasses the series 2 safety and will most likely solve your problems.

Installed one yesterday. Thanks everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top