Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2005 5:47:28 PM EDT
Bought a used P22 two weeks ago, and I finally shot it today.

It seemed lubed enough, but after constant jams/fail to feeds after the first two mags, I decided to lube it up.  Using a brand new mag I picked up a few days ago, it went through all 10 rounds, as it should.

I shot about 100 rounds through it today, and the new mag seemed to work better then the old two, although they appeared to be in good shape.  I was shooting the Winchester Super X HPs, and I know many .22s are picky about what they like to shoot.  

It still had plenty of fail to feeds throughout the afternoon, most of which were with the old mags.  Oh well.

I shot at bowling pins and it seemed pretty accurate.  It is pretty small, but you get used to its size pretty quickly.  Hopefully after I get done cleaning it, it'll perform much better next time.

What type of ammo do you all use/recommend?
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I used CCI Stingers on mine.  Reduced the failure to feed to one out of every 60 rounds.  Hate to tell you, I dumped the gun after two return trips to S & W for service.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Took my brand spanking new P22 to the range for the first time today.  It's an AF series (thus made in '05 and has an L serial number) with A serialed magazines.  After all the sketchy reviews this gun received I was very concerned, especially since I have a Browning Buckmark .22 that is a complete waste of metal and mis-fires about every 4th round.  I had about 300 rounds of Bulk Federal HP's and a brick of Federal  something or other.  I shot all 350 rounds very quickly without a single failure of any kind.  What a great little gun.  I neglected to bring a small screwdriver to adjust the rear sight, and the gun is shooting consistently to the right.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
i bought my p22 about 4 years ago, & due to some unfortunate issues with the law, i havent shot it until just the other day, I too was pretty concerned about all the hype the lil gun was getting, but  i put 600 rounds through it, and it only slightly jammed once. 500 of those rounds were cci standard velocity, and the other 100 were winchester superx hollows.  the only thing i dont like about this gun is the tiny grip,  i made a much larger backstrap out of some jb weld it doesnt look so good, but my next 1 will be better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've found the best stuff mine shoots is Federal 36 grain copper plated HP.  I get them in 550 round boxes from wally world.  Stuff is pretty clean, and it shoots good out of the P22 and my .22 rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot the 525rd boxes of Remington (brass plated hollow points) golden bullets. I think they run me about $8 a box at gander Mountain. I haven't had any FTF or FTE problems with them.    
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've found the best stuff mine shoots is Federal 36 grain copper plated HP.  I get them in 550 round boxes from wally world.  Stuff is pretty clean, and it shoots good out of the P22 and my .22 rifle.

+1

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The only issue I've had with mine is: When I slam a mag home, it seems to raise the first round up at a bit of an angle.  The first round chambers and fires, but the second round fails to feed.
If I "push" the mag home, or press down on the top round before closing the slide, it works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The only issue I've had with mine is: When I slam a mag home, it seems to raise the first round up at a bit of an angle.  The first round chambers and fires, but the second round fails to feed.
If I "push" the mag home, or press down on the top round before closing the slide, it works just fine.

You know, I think the same thing happens to mine, thanks for actually pointing that out.  I'll be sure not to slam in any more mags.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, tomarrow is my son's b-day and I let him open his P22 early b/c we can't make it to the range tomarrow.  He shot 100rds of CCI stingers and 100rds of Remington (don't know what kind) without any stoppages or malfuctions.  

Overall and for the first trip with this pistol to the range he was quite pleased to say the least especially with all the horror stories I have read about this gun.  Bottom line was we had fun.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, tomarrow is my son's b-day and I let him open his P22 early b/c we can't make it to the range tomarrow.  He shot 100rds of CCI stingers and 100rds of Remington (don't know what kind) without any stoppages or malfuctions.  

Overall and for the first trip with this pistol to the range he was quite pleased to say the least especially with all the horror stories I have read about this gun.  Bottom line was we had fun.  

Glad you had a good experience with the P22, mine has never given me a problem either. If you want to really be super dad, get him the laser for the next holiday, it relly bumps up the fun factor.
http://www.calssportingarmory.com/WaltherP22MagsnAccess.htm
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad you had a good experience with the P22, mine has never given me a problem either. If you want to really be super dad, get him the laser for the next holiday, it relly bumps up the fun factor.
http://www.calssportingarmory.com/WaltherP22MagsnAccess.htm

Haha, thats just what he needs.  He's only eight and I just started him shooting a couple months ago and he's already asking me if he can take head shots.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I've put three boxes of Federal bulk, 1650 rounds, through my P22 with one misfeed.  Don't understand all the problems folks have, maybe it's quality control, maybe cleaning and lube, maybe wrong ammo?
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Best pocket gun that I have ever carried.  Has all the features one would want.  The only very very small issue I can think of is the off-safety dot is a sticker and not painted on and will come off easily when doing a good cleaning.  Not that it is really important, but still just bugged me having a cheap sticker on an otherwise great gun (yah, I am being picky).  This may only be specific to the Interarms ones as that is the only one I have fired and carried.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it all depends on getting lucky out of the box. Seems like some people have problems no matter what they're shooting and some can feed anything into these things. I shoot the Velocinators just bacause I like their little HP's. Just got my inside pant holster for it today, I have the 3.4" barrel so I'll have to make sure that I don't forget that I have it on me, it is a great little gun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I just picked up a P22 yesterday, and went almost  immediatly to the range with. I put 600 rounds thorugh it without one failure to feed, extract or fire.

I used mostly 36 grain Federal plated hollowpoint, but yesterday I used a variety of brands including CCI, Rem and Federal, without a single problem

I love this little gun. I see a 5" barrel in my near future, as well as a suppressor.

Are the problems as common as they seem? I picked this gun up because I saw it very cheap at a shop, and didn't read any reviews until I got hom (I had shot one a few times before). When I read this board I had a worry fit until I went out and shot it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Guys, I also just picked up a P22 (3.5 inch, 2005 model), recently.  The first thing I did when I got it home was take it apart , remove the mag safety,  and clean it out.    I put some rounds through it (about 150) at the range yesterday and thought I would share which brands I had the best luck with.  

PMC sidewinders , Winchester super X, and CCI standard velocity all ran smooth and had zero problems.  Remington yellow jackets had 2 FTE's out of 40.  Remington Subsonic and Wolf match extra were absolute crap!  Wolf was the worst out of them all, most did not even feed correctly, the others didnt eject right.   Overall its a fun lilttle gun.  I'll just have to pick up more of its favorite ammo for next time out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I cleaned it good and hard after last outing, and I picked up some Remington and Federal ammo to try out.

The Federal Game-Shok 40 grain copper-plated solid (blue and black box) seemed to work really well.  

The Remington 40 grain solid (green and yellow box) worked okay.  Had a couple FTFeeds.

The ammo I had before was Winchester XPERT 36 grain HPs (white box from WalMart).  I only shot about 30 rounds of it, but still had about 4 or 5 FTFires.

I think the Federal is the way to go.  

Thanks for your input everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top