Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#1]
This is fascinating:  I guess it really is luck of hte draw when it comes to these pistols!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By santanatwo:

I doubt there is anything I can do about the mag release issue, besides hold it in the uncomfortable grip, where just the tip of my finger touches the trigger.

Remove the mag release and add a just slightly stronger spring.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I put the outer spring of the gun lock which I removed, in the mag catch, I Will try an bigger one if that fails. I don't want to make it to hard to take out the mag, but it would be nice to not have the clip fall out as I shoot it. To bad I can't lengthen the throw on the mag release too... any ideas?

well, I guess its off to the range...

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I fired 500 rounds from my P-22 today, had only 2 bad Remington rounds that did not fire at all (the rounds were beat) The P-22 fired all the rest. Now, why would I de-crapify, it's not crap from the get, also why would I take it apart and make a gun work better when it's already working fine. I just don't get this De-craping thing Unless you have a piece of crap from the start. Or the P-22 was working fine then turned into crap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By PocketG:

I just don't get this De-craping thing Unless you have a piece of crap from the start. Or the P-22 was working fine then turned into crap.

That's just it.  Many of us got models with a lot of problems, and we're working to correct those problems.  

I finally got around to fixing these issues today, after I got back from the range.  I got it put back together correctly, and it seems to function perfectly.  The extractor pulled out ever cartridge in the mag, so hopefully no more problems in that area.  We'll see.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Hope you got your P22 working now.  I guess I go t lucky--I got my P22 lightly used from a local guy I know from some other forums.  It had about 200 rnds through it prior to my purchase.  Mine works fine without any problems as long as I stay away from the truly cheapo ammo like Wildcat & Aguila.  Mine will shoot Rem Golden bulk just fine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Just my two cents worth:

I took mine out for the first time this weekend.
Before I left the house, I removed the slide, wiped off the grease, and reasembled.  No new oil, nothing else.

After firing 100 rounds of CCI MiniMags (with no problems). I took to 550 Remington HV hollowpoints that I bought in a bulkpack at Wally's.  Eight falures to feed on the first round of the magazine....(5 on one mag, 3 on the other)...and one failure to feed midway through one mag...this was early on in the brick (it did not seem to like the shape of the hollowpoints.)  After that, all worked fine.

From there, I moved on to some "Thunderballs(?)"....absolutely (in my opinion) the worst .22 rounds made.....dirty, nasty, ugly rounds.  250 rounds of those, without a hitch.
Back to another half brick of Remington hollowpoints....no prob.
On to 100 rounds of CCI Stingers...it loved them.
Another 100 rounds of MiniMags (to help clean it up) not so much as a hiccup!
I never cleaned, oiled, or disassembled it the entire time.
05/05 manufacture, btw....

I wanted to shoot it untill it stopped, but it was still going strong when we wore out!
We had 5 shooters keeping it going constantly!
I was very concerned when I bought it, but am happy as hell with it!

The Laser is very nice!  Absolutely worth the extra bucks!
Now, if my TAC-67 would only get here!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:32:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xanadu] [#9]
Pic of my 15yr old shooting the P22 on Labor Day.  No problems noted, but I think the removal of the mag safety would be a good start.

X

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I justed picked one up for my son today at the gunshow for $250 new and it came with 2 stainless mags with an "A" marking on them.  The barrel has "AF" on it so I am hoping, for my son's sake that it will function fine.  

It seems there is more negative feedback on these pistols than good.  We will find out next Saturday if I got lucky with a good one.  I will post a range report and let everyone how we make out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By xanadu:
Pic of my 15yr old shooting the P22 on Labor Day.  No problems noted, but I think the removal of the mag safety would be a good start.

X

www.tripgrip.com/newdir/laborday.jpg/

Your picture is mis-linked, should be: www.tripgrip.com/newdir/laborday.jpg
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#12]
My tag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brianbl] [#14]
What's with all these "tags" to the thread?  Can't you guys just subscribe to it like the rest of us?  Ok, sorry... back to topic.

I removed the mag safety block and re-shaped it today to accomplish two thigns.

1st, get rid of the frickin' mag safety.

The problem with removing it completely is that without it, there is no positive spring force pushing down on the mag if you have at least one round left in (without any rounds in the mag, the mag spring tensioner on the side of the mag supplies the upward force to engage the slide lock-back).   Also, since the mag is no longer pushed down by the mag saftey block, it can float or move around, which strikes me as possibly inducing a fail-to-feed issue since the magazine isn't positively indexed now.

2nd, keep some spring tension on the mag (downward) so it is indexed positively and to aid in mag extraction if there's still a round in it.

The fix... I examined the areas on the mag safety block and dremeled away any material that would allow it to push down on the transfer bar (which is how the mag safety works).  Although i was a little tiny bit over-zealous, it now functions perfectly - no mag safety AND it pushes downward on a partly or fully loaded mag.

but... in the event that I want to return the gun back to original condition, anyone know where an easy source for replacement parts might be? I see brownells doesn't carry P22 parts (no surprise there).

lastly, I chamfered the edges of the chamber mouth, particularly the upper and lower edges - since doing that, I've not had to "help" ANY rounds into battery - every round that cycles has gone 'home' reliably.  If you check the chamber mouth edges you'll see that they are very sharp - a little chamfering went a long way!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#15]

but... in the event that I want to return the gun back to original condition, anyone know where an easy source for replacement parts might be?  

Just call Smith & Wesson's telephone number.

Oftentimes, they'll send you an extra if you ask.  My mag safety had a "flaw" in it from the plastic casting process, and it wasn't working right with one magazine.  They sent me a freebie in about a day for that one.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks.  You the same "gonzo" on rimfirecentral?  small world.

'just got off the phone with S&W customer service.  Replacement Mag safeties (pn# 23/ or 266-08-06) go for $2 ea.  Also picked up a couple of finger extension butt plates to replace on those flat butt magazines ($3.80 ea).

painless and hasslefree.

the number was  800-331-0852
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#17]
where is the cheapest place to order a P22 in black??? i rember seeing a webite that had it for 250.99 i believe...

can anyone post up a link??

thanks
steven
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Here on the left coast, Sportsman's Warehouse has the P22 for $239.  I went witha buddy last friday and he picked one up.  I believe that's close to the wholesale price as that's about what I got mine for from an FFL buddy on a onesy purchase.  The 'usual' gunshops were asking about $279 for them (and trying to say that was a mere 10% over cost - yeah, right - more like 20% - who ya gonna trust nowadays?).

Link Posted: 10/21/2005 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#19]
After reading this thread, I want a Walther P22. Good thing they are inexpensive, but I also want a mossberg 590 What to do?
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone attempted to remove the internal trigger lock from the gun? It doesn't appear that it would effect the function of the gun in any manner....
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Colt_45:
Has anyone attempted to remove the internal trigger lock from the gun? It doesn't appear that it would effect the function of the gun in any manner....

The mag safety?  Yep, I took mine out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#24]
anyone ever found any good aftermarket sights for the P22?  I hate mine, they are very hard to use and  not very accurate compared to my ruger sights.  

My P22 was jamming all the time and I sent it back to smith and from what I can tell they sent me back 2 new mags and that's it.  It's much better now but occassionally hangs up going into battery. I think I will smooth the chamber edges like was recommended but those sights still totally suck.  Especially for longer range shooting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an oddball probem on occasion with mine. On returning to battery, the saftey running across the hammer will cause it to rotate to the safe position after two or three rounds. Whats oddball about it is it only happens with standard or high velocity rounds. Stingers and Velocitors run all day long in it without this happening.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey, maybe you can help me de-crapify my P22.  While firing, the safety engages, sometimes only takes one shot, sometimes take 3 or 4 shots, but will always engage on its own.  Also, If the safety is not fully engaged, sometimes pulling the trigger a few times will disengage the safety allowing the gun to be fired.  I've heard a few guys sent there's back for a replacement, but I'd rather do my own work!

Can anyone help?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:35:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fq1234] [#27]

Originally Posted By docdockstader:
Hey, maybe you can help me de-crapify my P22.  While firing, the safety engages, sometimes only takes one shot, sometimes take 3 or 4 shots, but will always engage on its own.  Also, If the safety is not fully engaged, sometimes pulling the trigger a few times will disengage the safety allowing the gun to be fired.  I've heard a few guys sent there's back for a replacement, but I'd rather do my own work!

Can anyone help?

I believe I read that S&W was fixing this by drilling the detent in a little bit on the slide.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By WalkerTexasRanger:
I did some reading over at the Walther Forum and they said it has nothing to do with an L in the prefix.  What to look for is the AA AB AC AD AE on the barrel.  AA='00 AB="01 etc.  

They said as long as the barrel is AD indicating '03 production, or later it should be just fine.  And yes, the "good" mags are the ones with the "A" in the #.  That and the stainless mags...  

Hope this helps!!!  

Mine has an "L" serial number and "AF" on the barrel.  I guess maybe the "L" doesn't mean much.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I've fired about 5,800 rounds with only two jams that could be atributed to the firearm. There were many FTF's that I wrote-off as bad ammo (they all had good indents on the primers) It has run better than any gun I've owned in my life.

The first 500 rounds the gun saw was CCI stringers. That's the closest thin I done to "breaking it in".

The cases to tend to eject over my head and down my shirt on occasion. That, I do mind.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Can anyone help?

Remove the safety levers.   Inside, there are detent balls and REALLY tiny springs.  Go to Brownells and order one of their micro spring assortments.   Get a better spring in each side with the detents  

Use a drill bit in a hand chuck to slightly dress/deepend the detent holes.   With better springs and deeper detents the problem won't happen anymore.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#31]
TAG
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I at least ditched the mag Safety.  I am loving it already.

I've had the gun for some time now and never fired it.  

I had one FTF at first, but racked the slide and was back in business.  I was just shooting at some Moldy Buns and must say free hand at about 20feet, it was fairly accurate.  Nothing like my 1911, but its definately a fun little plinker gun.  I will be definately firing that a lot more since its fun and cheap.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Excellent thread - glad to see it's tacked.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I pick mine up this week
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Can anyone help?

The fix is not the size of the detents or the spring strength, it is the width of the safety levers.  I started having the same problem after 300 rounds.  I found the link below off the walther page on http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48    There are a couple of other fixes related to slide wear that are important.

http://pho3nixserver.no-ip.org/p22/p22fixes.html

Basically you have to take off the plastic safety handles and file the back sides so that they are thinner.  The balls will then work well in the holes.  It took me a couple of tries, since I did not agressively file enough.  When complete the safety levers should not be able to float around at all.  The new width of the main round part is 0.18" and the height of the bumps is 0.245"

carry on  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Just picked up a p22 yesterday. AG code on barrel, A mags. Range report this evening. Taking it to shoot today.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:22:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zack3g] [#37]
Range report ---- Rant on.

Well, I don't have much to say. Fired about 4 mags, and the gun broke. I dont know what went wrong, but pull the trigger and nothing happens. The hammer lazily moves forward slightly and then drops back. The sights are a joke, no amount of adjustment could get the gun on target. The laser also wouldn't hold zero. Every shot shifted the beam to the left. I am sickened by the performance of this gun. I'll be returning it to the dealer I bought it from. If he has another, I'll trade for it, otherwise, I'll invest the money in something else. I was looking forward to being able to put a can on this and do some quiet shooting, but my experience with it was ridiculous.

Rant off.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

Originally Posted By Zack3g:

Well, I don't have much to say. Fired about 4 mags, and the gun broke. I dont know what went wrong, but pull the trigger and nothing happens. The hammer lazily moves forward slightly and then drops back. The sights are a joke, no amount of adjustment could get the gun on target. The laser also wouldn't hold zero. Every shot shifted the beam to the left. I am sickened by the performance of this gun. I'll be returning it to the dealer I bought it from. If he has another, I'll trade for it, otherwise, I'll invest the money in something else. I was looking forward to being able to put a can on this and do some quiet shooting, but my experience with it was ridiculous.

Rant off.

Man, that sucks! I have about 2K through my P22 just with the can attached. I've had no problems except for bad mag that I bought after the pistol. The other 5 mags have worked just fine.

Yeah it does. Maybe I just got a lemon or something. I'll find out on monday. Go trade this in, and immediately take it's replacement to the range and shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#40]
man im sorry. i got mine 2 years ago and it still shoots PERFECT! if i take my time i can hit a rabbit at about 75 yards and even sumtimes more. you just got a bad gun trade it for a new one, you wont be disapointed. did i mention that i hav never had my gun worked on or cleaned it(thats probably bad) and it still works like that
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Zack3g:

hr

The exact same thing happened to mine on the first day (the hammer part), but after exactly 400 rounds without a single malfunction. Then, as if by magic, the hammer stopped working. Turns out the tip of the hammer spring cracked right where it normally sits at the base of the hammer, so it wouldn't cock with any tension behind it. Thankfully the folks at Sportsman's Warehouse were willing to exchange it, since I'd only had it for a couple of days.

The new one is working fine but only 200 rounds through it so far... you can bet I'll be really tense around shot #400!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 4/26/2006 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 4/28/2006 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#44]
ok, so maybe somebody could help me. I had fired probably 3000 rounds, half remington hollowpoints and CCI stingers (with the can.) Worked fine up until I took it apart. Now I have it together, but my trigger doesn't engage the hammer if the hammer is not pulled back to begin with and even sometimes it doesn't function properly. What can I do before sending it away to S&W
Link Posted: 5/12/2006 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Great thread.

I got my p22 yesterday and it's working great so far.  The only complaint I have is that the slide release is a little tough.

The only problem I've had with extracting happens when I cycle through live rounds.  I may do the extractor mod for more reliability.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 4:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#46]

Originally Posted By brianbl:
What's with all these "tags" to the thread?  Can't you guys just subscribe to it like the rest of us?  Ok, sorry... back to topic.

I removed the mag safety block and re-shaped it today to accomplish two thigns.

1st, get rid of the frickin' mag safety.

The problem with removing it completely is that without it, there is no positive spring force pushing down on the mag if you have at least one round left in (without any rounds in the mag, the mag spring tensioner on the side of the mag supplies the upward force to engage the slide lock-back).   Also, since the mag is no longer pushed down by the mag saftey block, it can float or move around, which strikes me as possibly inducing a fail-to-feed issue since the magazine isn't positively indexed now.

2nd, keep some spring tension on the mag (downward) so it is indexed positively and to aid in mag extraction if there's still a round in it.

The fix... I examined the areas on the mag safety block and dremeled away any material that would allow it to push down on the transfer bar (which is how the mag safety works).  Although i was a little tiny bit over-zealous, it now functions perfectly - no mag safety AND it pushes downward on a partly or fully loaded mag.

but... in the event that I want to return the gun back to original condition, anyone know where an easy source for replacement parts might be? I see brownells doesn't carry P22 parts (no surprise there).

lastly, I chamfered the edges of the chamber mouth, particularly the upper and lower edges - since doing that, I've not had to "help" ANY rounds into battery - every round that cycles has gone 'home' reliably.  If you check the chamber mouth edges you'll see that they are very sharp - a little chamfering went a long way!

I've not liked that since I ditched the mag safety.

I'm definatly going to try that tonight (hope I can find it!! Its been awhile since I've taken it out)

I hadn't shot my P22 in awhile but now I'm starting to like it again (must have forgot how much cheaper thw .22LR actually is....    I only shoot the Federal 550 bulk packs through it, and some occasional Stingers (GREAT when its getting dark).

Link Posted: 5/26/2006 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry for the bad ones, mine has worked great as long as I use anything with FMJ, just like my (High Standard- Supermatic Tournament)
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I haven't had any problems at all with mine and it has AC code on the barrel and came with A mags.  2 blued mags with it work good and have picked up 1 more blued and 2 stainless mags to go with it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 6:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LashLaRue] [#50]
Picked up an OD 5" P-22 with the Walther Top Point II on the bridge mount the other day.  Marked AG with -A stainless mags, pretty new production from what I have read here.  I was going to lose the red dot for in iron sights but after shooting about 500 rds I thing I will keep it, you can rapid fire the whole mag at a piece of typing paper 50 yrds away and hit it every time.  Same goes for a soda can almost.  Some can probably do that with the irons but not me.
So far only 3 FTF's, probably due to the ammo being years old, I've shot up everything I had in .22 and some of it was junk.
Very fun pistol for the money....LL
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top