Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 5:34:03 PM EDT
Contemplating the purchase of a Taurus Pro Millenium pistol...any thoughts, recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a SS PT145 Pro on order.
I read the neg & positive info on this gun and after handling many of the other "compact" 45's I found that without a doubt the PT145 fits my hand the best. I never saw this coming after spending weeks researching other makes & models.
I have shot a G30 a buddy owns and it does shoot like a pro but my hands were not built for it.
With the $ saved I bought the 10 rifle Sentry safe.
I'll let ya know what I think of it if it evers gets in...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a PT145 for about a year now.  It fits my hand like a glove.  It's indexing points, one for the thumb and one for the trigger finger are like it was designed for me.  I opted for the one without the rail since it slips in the holster or pants better without the square edges of the rail.  Have had zero problems with mine.  the feed ramp is like a mirror from the factory and mostly FMJ rounds through it but also some Silvertips.  I checked out a 24/7 the other day with the da/sa action and the trigger felt real nice, I would like to have one for a full size gun, but I would also like to have the PT111 for a 9mm gun.  I think they are well made after having mine.  Some say the trigger is too long and gritty, I have not found that.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I also "stumbled" across these pistols on an auction site.  The real reasonable price made me a little nervous.......it's nice to hear from those with actual experience
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#4]
My son carries a P140 and he loves it.  He uses Federal P D rounds and it hasn't hiccuped yet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the PT145.  One of the best handgun purchases I have made.  

- compact
- 10+1 capacity
- affordable
- shoots everything I put in it without failure of any kind
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't like the short sight radius/long trigger pull on my PT 140. Recoil was sharp and after shooting 50 or more rounds my hand hurt.  Final straw , the gun Kb'ed . No explaination as to why from taurus, but they did replace the frame for the cost of shipping. I heard , afte my Kb. about cracking frame, as mine did when it Kb'ed. To this day I still do not know the cause of the Kb.
Needless to say, I don't own a PT140 anymore.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I didn't like the short sight radius/long trigger pull on my PT 140. Recoil was sharp and after shooting 50 or more rounds my hand hurt.  Final straw , the gun Kb'ed . No explaination as to why from taurus, but they did replace the frame for the cost of shipping. I heard , afte my Kb. about cracking frame, as mine did when it Kb'ed. To this day I still do not know the cause of the Kb.
Needless to say, I don't own a PT140 anymore.

When was this?  Was it the MilPro version?

The PT-145 Millennium series did have frame-cracking problems, maybe the 140s as well, though I haven't heard about it with that version.

The Millennium PRO series has fixed this (as well as some other issues).  I haven't heard of any KBs at all with the MPs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#8]
PT145 has been my favorite to shoot.
I put the Butler Creek slip grips and way more comfortable to hold & shoot
good luck
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a PT745. Just saw it at the shop and was intrigued by it. Soon as I held it, I knew I was onto something. Fits my hand like a glove. It's a great handling little 45 and is very accurate and easy and comfortable to shoot. It's even comfortable to shoot one handed. That's an ergonomic miracle there for a 45!
But mine wasn't reliable. Many failures to feed & to fire. A couple times it failed to strip a round from the mag and tried to fire on an empty chamber when I squeezed the trigger. About a 1 in 10 failure rate overall, but once it went 47 rounds with no failures.
When it worked, it was a sweet gun. But those continual failures were very frustrating. Taurus inducted it and started the repair work late last week after the Dealer shipped it back to them.
I must really like the danged thing, as I soon found that I really missed it once it was gone!
To console myself I bought a new SA XD45 service model. That is a damn fine pistol! I figure it'll be nice to have similar compact and full sized 45's to shoot. (Since nothing is ever 100% flawless, one may have to go to the shop every once in a great while. For that reason, I thought why not another 45? They're my favorite pistols.) But once it comes back, the Taurus will be the "house gun" and the others stay in the safe. I like that built in lock it has.
As much as I like the XD45 and the PT745, I find I've lost the urge to get a 1911 clone. Both of these just fit me and work better for me. As an old mossback who loves the older guns, realizing that time and technology have marched on is a real eye opener for me.
If Taurus can make it fire & feed as reliably as the XD I'll be a very happy camper.

Edit: For those of you who haven't seen one, the PT745 is an even more compact version of the PT145. Held side by side the gun is 1/8" shorter in length and  the grip is about 3/16" narrower. That may not sound like much, but holding them one after another, if you have small hands, makes  the PT745 stand out favorably.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1 on the PT145.  One of the best handgun purchases I have made.  

- compact
- 10+1 capacity
- affordable
- shoots everything I put in it without failure of any kind

+1,.

the only problem i have ever had was with a CCI round that failed to fire,...but everyone gets a dud sooner or later,...and i have not had any other problems out of my PT-145

i also recomend the XD-45's i have a XD-40 and  i got to handle a XD-45 4in model,..very nice,...but i think i am going to get the 5in (Tactical) model,..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top