Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 11:35:17 PM EDT
I own a 229ST and a regular 229. Tonight while cleaning the 229ST I noticed that inside the slide was a small area that was deforming/peening over. It is the part of the slide that comes in contact with the hammer as the slider cycles back. It is a little below that fireing pin where is starts to round under if you know what I mean. That part is getting slightly flattend and peening a bit. My regular 229 that has twice as many rounds through it does not have this at all.

Is this a problem? Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn’t sound right to me.

I have a P229R with a blackened slide with maybe 1000 rounds through it.

There is a definite bright line caused by friction where the slide pushes the hammer back during recoil.  This bright line is maybe 2 MM wide and has a front to back curve to it (rather than any flats).

There is no indication whatsoever of any peening.

FWIW
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Doesn’t sound right to me.

I have a P229R with a blackened slide with maybe 1000 rounds through it.

There is a definite bright line caused by friction where the slide pushes the hammer back during recoil.  This bright line is maybe 2 MM wide and has a front to back curve to it (rather than any flats).

There is no indication whatsoever of any peening.

FWIW

My regular 229 is just as you describe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top