Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:01:51 AM EDT
OK, don't flame me for letting the voices in my head talk out loud.

I'm thinking a smooth bore barrel for one of my glocks would be slick for shooting snakes off my mower with shot shells. Yes, my rifled barrel works, but... well... I want to do it better/farther etc.

Not knowing how or at what point in the manufacturing process custom barrels are rifled, I wonder if this is possible. Are the barrels one big tube that is cut to length then rifled or is it a big rifled tube that is cut to length etc? Maybe this would be no big deal to order...

Thanks in advance for entertaining my crazy notions. dg.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:05:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dogguy:
Are the barrels one big tube that is cut to length then rifled or is it a big rifled tube that is cut to length etc?

Yeah! They just cut a length, rifle it, and crazy glue a chamber with lug on the end!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:11:43 AM EDT
Exactly how I pictured it.

Bet they use epoxy though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 8:18:46 AM EDT by dogguy]
And just for clarification, when I say that I use this weapon to shoot snakes off my mower, I mean that the snakes are usually on the ground. I'm the one on the mower.

In addition, I have no neighbors, but the UPS man is somewhat apprehensive of the mad man on the John Deere with bib overalls with the Austrian hardware in a shoulder rig. dg.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:27:28 AM EDT
you're probably not gonna find a smooth bore pistol barrel. using one would turn your G22 into a C3 weapon known as an AOW (any other weapon) which requires a tax stamp like MG's but it is only $5 instead of $200.

HTH,
LM
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:57:53 AM EDT
Luvman-

Never even considered that there may be laws regarding that. I suppose somewhere the definition of a pistol includes that it has rifled barrel. ?

If that is the case it isn't worth fooling around with.

Thanks, appreciate it. dg.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:14:11 AM EDT
This got brought up at some point in another ammo forum, and i think the verdict was that soft lead shot, wrapped in soft plastic, will DEFINITELY not harm a steel bore, or the rifling therein. especially so hardy a bore as that which resides in a block.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:04:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Luvman:
you're probably not gonna find a smooth bore pistol barrel. using one would turn your G22 into a C3 weapon known as an AOW (any other weapon) which requires a tax stamp like MG's but it is only $5 instead of $200.

HTH,
LM

the transfer is only 5$ but I beileve its still a 200 tax to manufacture it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By demigod:

Are the barrels one big tube that is cut to length then rifled or is it a big rifled tube that is cut to length etc?

Yeah! They just cut a length, rifle it, and crazy glue a chamber with lug on the end!

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 7:24:33 PM EDT by PanzerMK7]

Exactly how I pictured it.

Bet they use epoxy though.

Top Top