Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:51:13 AM EDT

How have the kits been from gunthings? Just ordered my underfolder kit and they promised to check for matching serials before sending it out.  This will be my first build... I love underfolders :)

Are the polish AKs park or painted?

thx
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one from gunthings and it was pretty nice overall. Perfect bore.  Painted finish over bare metal.    The handguards were pretty chewed up and they forgot to include the magazine pouch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got my gunthings.com kit. Was advertised as Very Good w/ Excellent bore.

The bore is as described, definately excellent. The kit is all matching numbers except for the bayonet, which is not even close.

The finish on the metal is pathetic. It was a black spraypaint, but mostly scratched off. I don't think I would call it very good. I've bought surplus rifles from Big 5 that said they were "good", and i'd say this looks like one of them. The slant muzzlebreak is in the white, the finish is so worn.

The handgrip is excellent though.

Im gonna durakote the thing and make it look nice once i build it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks bushjumper.. been waiting over a week for mine, not sure whats going on with it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
My kit arrived tonight.  Here's the thread with pictures:

www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=83841&page=1

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
how many parts actually have matching numbers?  I am STILL finding parts with serial numbers 9 months after I got it.  I think there are 12 so far...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Not sure, I'll have to double check. I noticed some part numbers are missing the first digit, but I've seen this on my other guns too...why? no idea.

Anyway, so far the bolt, carrier, barrel and trunion, cover.  There were more I saw when cleaning but I can't remember off the top of my head.  Anyway, as long as those are right, thats all I was hoping for.

BTW, the polish finish (purple dye) ran off like water when I degreased it.  Thats the worst finish I've ever seen.  I think I'm going to just blue it when I'm done.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I think my serial number is like 5 or 7 digits and only the last 3 or 4 show up on a lot of parts- parts where the whole thing won't fit like the safety...

I've got to admit, my finish was never purple.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my new Polish AKMS parts set today from Akron Armory.  Like new just as described.  Looks like it's never been shot.  To bad they had to just paint it.  I will probably refinish the whole thing anyway because that paint they put on it scratches off way to easy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, its black until you hit it with a degreaser..then it runs off as a deep purple color. I'm assuming purple pigment was cheaper than black...same as the old russian Plum furniture...
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top