Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2005 5:56:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, absolutely....count me in.  A Tantal that is not correct is not worth having for me.  The uniqueness and therefore interest in this design is due in large part to the left side selector switch (which must be functional!) and of course, the unique muzzle brake. Correct factory markings are a must!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#3]
krink, talk to hotbarrel over on gunco. He does some good US tantal breaks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#5]
KF,
I think that is a really really bad idea.  I have three kits that I want Troy to build for me.  I am sending him one at a time as I get funds to complete each kit.  It now takes 4 months for him to get one done.  If you get everyone to send him a boat load of Tantal kits then it's going to take me years to get my kits built.  Troy told me that the max number of kits he can build is about 15 per week.  Just think how many weeks the poor man will have to work if you keep this up.  The poor man has a family and you would not want to cause his wife pack up and leave.  You will have the poor man working night and day.  Just think about what you are doing.  His wife is gone, he is working 24 hours a day and his house packed full of Tantal kits.  He will not have time for a vacation, his kids won't know who he is and to top it all off the poor man will be eating cold cuts in the shop for every meal.  KF KF get hold of yourself man you have gone off the deep end.  Why don't we just have him build one Tantal kit and we can pass it around.  Each person can keep it for one case of ammo and then they must send it to the next person.  It's a good way to see how many rounds an AK can fire before it gets to the end of it's service life.  I am asking you to let the poor man have a decent life.
Good Shooting,
Sparky1
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:10:44 AM EDT
[#6]
KF,
I understand that about 10,000 Tantal kits are in the US with an equal number on the way.  Now if other builders do 1,000 from each shipment and Troy does the rest, that is 18,000 builds.  Now lets see, he should finish the last rifle build in about say 100 years.  That is if he does not take a vacation!  I am thinking Troy will slow down a bit after he reaches the age of 100 so add ten additional years to complete the last few hundred kits.  I would think the last kit will be complete in the year 2115.  I am just guessing but Troy will be about oh say 145 years old.  I am sure you will want the last kit completed which will make you how old?  Do you think you will still be bump firing at that age?  Ha Ha
Good Shooting,
Sparky1
P.S.  I will ge glad to go out shooting with you when the last kit is done.  Only one problem, I don't think I will be driving at age 170 so could you come pick me up and take me to the range that day?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Kirk,
I am old man, what can I say.  I am just old and slow.
Sparky1
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag. Interested. Don't really know what it means but want to do a tantal build.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in for the receiver.  Just got my Tantal today.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#11]
hotbarrel is no longer doing Tantal brakes.  He's posted this on gunco and emailed it to me last night.  Not saying he wouldn't change his mind, but right now, he's not taking orders.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hotbarrel is no longer doing Tantal brakes.  He's posted this on gunco and emailed it to me last night.  Not saying he wouldn't change his mind, but right now, he's not taking orders.

Quoted:

Yup, glad I sent a MO several weeks ago.

BTW it's a BRAKE! AAARRRGGHHH!!

And TAG!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#14]
KF,
Next time you talk to Troy please ask him when he is going run Romy kits.  I mailed him my kit about three weeks ago.  I would email him but I know he has a ton on them every day.  I would think he should have a ton of Romy kits right now with the great prices we are seeing.
Thanks,
Sparky1
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm...

If there is a "partial build" type service of correctly locating the selector and marking the receiver I'd hit it. I can do the rest.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#16]

I also want to have the left rear side CNC engraved with the correct model information. Who knows the correct information ????

Model:
Manufacturer:
Origin:

Not sure if this is what you mean, but Arsenal will now place all marks on the bottom or the receiver for a slight additional fee. There should be no need to have this on the side of the receiver.

As for selector marks, I have those pics if you need them
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd be interested.  

This picture is in the tacked thread over in discussions, of a PMKMS selector marks.  Might be the same for the tantal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:49:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I forsee more money going out for a hit in my addiction
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I would love to take part in this-- but after dropping damn near a thousand dollars on SEAK III, I'm just not going to be able to. I'm going to have all I can do to get the compliance parts from Hotbarrel-- and then there's the other five or eight kits--

--What am I saying?!?! I'm rich in history that was otherwise unattainable!    But I still can't take part in this. I'll just have to get reeeeeeaaaallllyyyyy good at building AKs, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Left side

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in for two.

and TAG
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I am quite interested...  At least in the parts...  I am curious however if we put the selector down in the lower Tantial location just how easy it will be to use any US FCG parts?  I have a tantial kit but i have not played with the parts yet to really understand that selector and how hard it will be to use standard US made AKM FCG parts...

Still, I plan to build mine as correct as possible..
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm interested. I'd like as authentic a build as possible.

It would be nice to be able to keep the pistol grip and the muzzle brake, they are both really good pieces. Haven't seen whether the US-made brake is the same material and quality as the original.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, I could be VERY interested in one of these.............any idea of a ballpark figure? I gotta go raid the spare change jar soon..........
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I am quite interested...  At least in the parts...  I am curious however if we put the selector down in the lower Tantial location just how easy it will be to use any US FCG parts?  I have a tantial kit but i have not played with the parts yet to really understand that selector and how hard it will be to use standard US made AKM FCG parts...

+1 including making the left side selector WORK!

Very interested....any ballpark price?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on making the left side selector work
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#29]
If this happens, do I need to acquire all of the necessary parts?

I have the kit, and Hotbarrel's brake and piston. I need a receiver and 3 other US parts still (as well as a rivet set). I think that is everything (?)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm interested to, my Tantal kit is all cleaned, de-riveted, etc. Just need to decide on what to do about the receiver "problem".
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Tag, I am interested in this too if I can afford it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Thats what I'd like to see as well; a modification to make the left selector work, proper markings as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I'd like to see as well; a modification to make the left selector work, proper markings as well.

Question: By "work" you just mean you’re able to move it from one position to another right? If you mean work as in select a rate of fire....I thought it was illegal to make imported firearms into machine guns that were not imported as such; even if you have a license allowing you to own machine guns (actually I thought it was illegal to make *anything* into a machine gun that wasn't already one). I know I could be wrong, I have very few actual fields of expertise, and this certainly isn't one of them.

Edited: Don't mean to sound like I'm preaching from a soapbox here. I have to admit (curiosity being what it is) that while building my first kit the thought crossed my mind several times that I should drill that third hole and try installing the full auto FC parts I had in front of me (just to see if I could get it to work). In the end, fear of hefty fines and prison sentences won out over curiosity. Gee...maybe I have matured since my younger days.........
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Question: By "work" you just mean you’re able to move it from one position to another right? If you mean work as in select a rate of fire....I thought it was illegal to make imported firearms into machine guns that were not imported as such; even if you have a license allowing you to own machine guns (actually I thought it was illegal to make *anything* into a machine gun that wasn't already one). I know I could be wrong, I have very few actual fields of expertise, and this certainly isn't one of them.

Edited: Don't mean to sound like I'm preaching from a soapbox here. I have to admit (curiosity being what it is) that while building my first kit the thought crossed my mind several times that I should drill that third hole and try installing the full auto FC parts I had in front of me (just to see if I could get it to work). In the end, fear of hefty fines and prison sentences won out over curiosity. Gee...maybe I have matured since my younger days.........

By "work" I mean use the left selector to engage/disengage the safety on the rifle, much like the right selector. Only on the left.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
By "work" I mean use the left selector to engage/disengage the safety on the rifle, much like the right selector. Only on the left.

Got it.

I think my ideal Tantal build would be to have the left hand selector just move/detent between it's settings and not really do anything. Just a cosmetic part. While the right hand selector would function normally as the safety.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Any update on the possibility of this build run?
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#37]
There is a list starting for the next batch of Hotbarrel's Tantal brakes.

Tantal brake list
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Any update on the possibility of this build run?

+1 still waiting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Tag - I'm interested.

Question, though - are we able to supply our own parts?  I already have a receiver, and I have a set of the black Tantal handguards, so I'd be going with a black US pistol grip - no need for a US-made brake/launcher.

GunKote over Park finish?
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#40]
All I want is a receiver, the building I can handle on my own.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Doesn't sound like Hotbarrel will have the pistons or brakes in time for the build...what are our other options?
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Couple of options - you could substitute a U.S.-made pistol grip temporarily, until your brake becomes available.

Or, you could leave the brake off - that removes (1) part from the 922(r) count.

As far as the piston goes - these aren't unique pistons, are they?  I was under the assumption that it was a standard AK-74 piston.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Couple of options - you could substitute a U.S.-made pistol grip temporarily, until your brake becomes available.

Or, you could leave the brake off - that removes (1) part from the 922(r) count.

As far as the piston goes - these aren't unique pistons, are they?  I was under the assumption that it was a standard AK-74 piston.

Supposedly the Tantal piston is a tiny bit shorter than a standard -74 piston, but the -74 piston will work. This advice is worth every cent you paid for it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, I just ordered my receiver from Global...with 4-5 week wait for delivery I probably won't have it in time
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Has there been any word from Troy about this?  I would be interested but being part of the MARCH MADNESS sale and still waiting Im a little hesitent.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes, updates please....left side safety functionality especially is important to me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#49]
IIRC, the left side selector on the tantal only switches it from semi to full to burst, right? so if you wanted it to engage/disengage the fire control, it wouldnt be authentic, which would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldnt it?

just my thoughts.... im not trying to rain on the party or anything, tantals are sweet rifles and itd be cool to see one with the left side selector intact
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
IIRC, the left side selector on the tantal only switches it from semi to full to burst, right? so if you wanted it to engage/disengage the fire control, it wouldnt be authentic, which would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldnt it?

just my thoughts.... im not trying to rain on the party or anything, tantals are sweet rifles and itd be cool to see one with the left side selector intact

Yeah, we know, but we just want to have a poser Tantal anyway
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top