User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
AK's in order of quality (Page 5 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Here are some periods for you..................................................................... don't be afraid to use them.

Funny!!  
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 8:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lcplblazer] [#2]
"AK's in order of quality"  ???

Might as well start a thread labeled

"Beer in order of quality"
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By selfishselfless:
100% Agree. I would also choose Maadi over Chinese any day!

Sammy

<table]<tr]<td]
Originally Posted By Fargo:
How can you rank chinese over hungarian and polish?  I would have to say that polish and hungarian are a tie for quality and they are higher than chinese.  Some Maadis are on par with russian guns also.

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Fargo:
<table]<tr]<td]
Originally Posted By RABID:
By quality do you guys mean fit and finish? Sheesh, my romies are as tough as my friends polytechs, maadis, etc, who gives a darn about finish, it's not a custom elephant rifle
As long as it oges BANG every time, cosmetics are a mute point that can be fixed later if desired.

Romanian factory hi-cap guns like the Sar series have perfect receivers.  Barrels are fine but barrel parts (like the quality of the front sights)  leave much to be desired.  Nothing wrong with the romanians also.  So many of them around they arent the "golden egg".

I really like the Romanian G.  I have to home built Romanian G's.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I like WASR Romanian rifles.Yea ,they are inexpensive so people think they are no good.They have sheet metal receivers instead of the pretty no rivet guns but they always work.The barrels are crome lined and the receivers flex that little bit wich makes them more accurate than most anything else.
As a ''look what I have'' they are no good.As a gun to take into war they are great.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my first AK in 2000, a SAR 1 for $299. It looked like a total piece of crap but that rifle ran like a raped ape.
Fast forward ten years, I've owned and sold alot of different AK's. Here's a list of what I've actually owned, shot and sold in no particular order-

1. Romanian SAR 1
2. Arsenal SLR-106FR
3. Saiga AK103 clone built by AK-USA
4. Arsenal SA M7 fixed stock Classic
5. Saiga LEO 12C
6. Arsenal SAS M7
7. Arsenal SA M7 Carbine
8. Arsenal SA M7 A1R
9. Arsenal SLR 106U
10. Arsenal SLR 105 A1
11. Polish PMKM kit build  built by Brick
12. Polish Tantal kit build built by Magnum Gunsmithing
13. Vector Polish underfolder
14. Bulgarian AKS-74 kit build by InRange
15. Saiga 308 "Red Dragon" conversion by Red Jacket
16. Bulgarian RPK-74 kit build by Magnum Gunsmithing
17. Vector RPK-74
18. Arsenal SLR 107UR
19. Polytech fixed stock Legend
20. Polytech fixed stock AKS-762 Spiker

Here is what I learned-

Every single one of them worked just as well as that $299 SAR 1.
I prefer a solid WARSAW length fixed stock.
I don't like underfolders. They "look cool" but that's about it.
Sidefolders are OK with the best being the polymer sidefolder IMO. The stability of a fixed stock with the versatility of a folder.
Some are more appealing to the eye than others but the bottom line was they all put bullets downrange effectively.
I prefer a factory built AK over a kit build. A factory build holds it's value better.
I prefer a milled receiver over a stamped one because they feel so much smoother. It's hard to explain unless you've owned and shot both.
I sold them all but only kept one, my Chinese Polytech Legend.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ermac] [#7]
The SAR-1 is actually one of the better Romanian AK's out there. Had you bought one of the lower quality Romanian AK's like a bad WASR, it might not be number 1 on your list then. Consistency is also part of quality and the Romanian AK's aren't as good in that area as Russian and Chinese AK's.

Originally Posted By bigjunk1:
I like WASR Romanian rifles.Yea ,they are inexpensive so people think they are no good.They have sheet metal receivers instead of the pretty no rivet guns but they always work.The barrels are crome lined and the receivers flex that little bit wich makes them more accurate than most anything else.
As a ''look what I have'' they are no good.As a gun to take into war they are great.

How does the reciever flexing make them more accurate?
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:
and the receivers flex that little bit wich makes them more accurate than most anything else.
quote]

Where did you ever pick up this bit of wisdom?  

Whoever told you this- please be sure to never listen to whatever they may have to say in the future ever again- for the information is dead wrong.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Has anyone ever bought an AK from these guys?  I was interested in this Polish AK, and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them.  

Polish Ak by SOG
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#10]

How is Armory?

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rayman1:
* 7.62x39mm semiautomatic rifles
* Romanian "G" AKM parts demilitarized from new or like new rifles
* chrome lined barrels and chambers
* NDS-3 US fully heat treated receiver
* TAPCO G2 fire control group fitted for proper engagement
* TAPCO US gas piston
* TAPCO US slant brake
* magazine well tested with Romanian, Chinese, Bulgarian waffle, Polish, and Hungarian magazines
* magazine catch height adjusted for proper engagement
* headspace passes with original arsenal gauges
* barrel straightness passes with original arsenal gauges
* chamber dimension passes with original arsenal gauges
* extractor adjustment passes with original arsenal gauges
* crown erosion passes with original arsenal gauges
* firing pin protrusion passes with original arsenal gauges.
* sights aligned with original military boresight collimeter
* rifles are test-fired for function and zeroed
* METACOL III satin black finish over manganese phosphate Parkerizing
* wood refinished with minimum 5 coats of laquer
* includes one 30 round magazine

It sounds as though you're describing one of the builds from Arizona Response Systems.  If so, they're a great company and I think you'll be satisfied with it.

I love mine !!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AKSU:
I bought my first AK in 2000, a SAR 1 for $299. It looked like a total piece of crap but that rifle ran like a raped ape.
Fast forward ten years, I've owned and sold alot of different AK's. Here's a list of what I've actually owned, shot and sold in no particular order-

1. Romanian SAR 1
2. Arsenal SLR-106FR
5. Saiga LEO 12C
6. Arsenal SAS M7
7. Arsenal SA M7 Carbine
8. Arsenal SA M7 A1R
9. Arsenal SLR 106U
10. Arsenal SLR 105 A1
17. Vector RPK-74
18. Arsenal SLR 107UR

Here is what I learned-

Sidefolders are OK with the best being the polymer sidefolder IMO. The stability of a fixed stock with the versatility of a folder.
Some are more appealing to the eye than others but the bottom line was they all put bullets downrange effectively.
I prefer a factory built AK over a kit build. A factory build holds it's value better.
I prefer a milled receiver over a stamped one because they feel so much smoother. It's hard to explain unless you've owned and shot both.

+1.. just came back from the range with mine and it is a fantastic rifle!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing beats a Polytech Legend, unless it's an Arsenal Classic.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The one that goes bang when I need it to.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:18:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gsd2053] [#16]
Overwhelming numbers show the Romanian's as the bottom of the crop. I still have my first AK a Bulgarian SA-93, and a Arsenal SLR 106UR. Very nice Rifles. However I would not hesitate to grab the "Romanian" Draco as a SHTF pick. It is a Fine Romanian Factory built AK. I have seen many ugly AK's. My Romanian Draco is not one of them. Oh and "It Works  
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gsd2053:
Overwhelming numbers show the Romanian's as the bottom of the crop.

As in 100,000,000,000 flies can't be wrong?  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I never saw a Polytech on the battle field in Nam.  But I saw a lot of Chinese AK battle field pickups..  They were shot to hell but still worked.  I have had just about every AK cobbled up parts kit crap from every Eupo country over the past 40 years.  I settled into a preban Noricno which is made by the same people who made the type 56.   If I were younger I'd take this into battle anyday.  How about you pups out there?
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#19]
For some reason my little nifty JKF always gets shit on.  And ya know what I'm ok with that.  Easily 2k rounds through it and it just keeps shooting and shooting and shooting, which if I'm not mistaken is really the point.  Crap ammo...good ammo it munches it up and spits it out.  Also pretty freakin accurate too.  

Just my 2 pennies

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5789327025_70fc0dac43.jpg

that is all
nothing follows
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I know this is for the civilian American market, and I'm out of that loop, but on my humble opinion the best AKs are the East Germans, by far. The worst the Romanians.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I have never had but one AK fail to function and that was a Hesse that I purchased from SOG after being told it was specifically not a "Hesse". It was one of their modified Saigas, and they even screwed that one up. From Polytechs to the ugly duckling Romanians they all work, just some better than others. In the past the deciding factor for me has been mag and  ammo availibilty. An AK is no good unless you have ample ammo and mags. I've never owned a SAR 1, 2, or 3, but I've heard good things about them. I've owned just about everything else. I may have missed one or two in this list but this pretty much prioritizes them from my experience. To me the only real game changer is optic capability since my eyes don't like open sights anymore.

Galil
Valmet (stamped or milled)
Polytechs milled
Arsenal/Bulgarian (milled)
Hadar (reconfigured by me)
Yugo
Gordon Technologies
Norinco (milled)
Polytech (stamped)
Hungarian (stamped)
Arsenal (stamped)
Bulgarian (stamped using Armory 1.6mm receiver built by me and finished Red Jacket)
Polish (stamped using Armory USA 1.6mm receiver built by me and finished Red Jacket)
Saiga .308 (reconfigured by me)
Saiga (all other calibers) (reconfigured by me)
Romanian Cugir (sp?) (reconfigured by me)
Norinco (stamped, reconfigured by me)
Maddi (MISR)
Romanian (current) (never buy without checking front sight first)
Hesse (any model or cailber)

akp

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#22]
wtb poll for this thread
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#23]
can I get some clarification on the "Russian" AK-47

I checked gunbroker to see what price they were going for, and I cant really find an old school Russian AK-47

looks like any Russin AK is a Saiga or Arsenal, is this what is being refered to as Russian?  thanks in advance

sorry I am new to the world of AK's am am thinking about finding a Russian or Bulgarian AK
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 1:09:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rollbar] [#24]
Good Post.

I have read all 9 pages and still not 100% sure which MFG to buy.  Never owned/shot a AK.

I want a milled AK.  Usage is for protection/two gun shoot and plinking.  I would also like a drum fed 75 round mag (or whatever they make) as well as the 30 round mag.

I can spend up to 1k (would rather stay around 800 bucks out the door) and would like a nice AK, smooth actions/trigger etc.

I would like one whereas the parts are interchangeable, mag's etc etc in case that is needed.

Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Rollbar, for that money the Arsenal SA93 might be of interest to you.  I picked one up and and find it to be an awesome shooter and it's built like a tank!  My buddy shot it at the range the other day, and he's now looking for one.  

For a milled AK and without spending $1800+ on a Polytech Legend, you can have a darn fine AK to call your own.

If you can find one for around $800, don't think you'll be disappointed.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I read this post and still bought a Romanian

I have no idea what I'm getting into but all I wanted was a cheap blaster. The local gunshop had a few used ones in their racks with $900 tags on them. They might be a better gun than the 400 beater I got but I have no idea what to look for and better gun or not I was'nt about to spend much more than what I did for my first AK. I'll beat the snot out of this one and learn from it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 8:06:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BHW] [#27]
Sounds like the Hungarian AK is in the middle of the pack...???
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 4:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slamfyre] [#28]
Of all my AKs,my absolute favorite is the Romak, WUM-1, imported by interordnance , monroe, nc.

I can hit a dime at 100 yds with my iron sights.  It has NEVER jammed, and would probably run great with little or no maintenance. I paid $239 for it in the late 90s.

The later stuff may be hit or miss, but the WUM-1 is as badass as they come, plus it looks like a f**kin' AK, not some tacticool POS.

As for a safe queen, I want a 20" Vepr pretty bad. They reek of quality vs the Saigas and Chicom Junk.

9/2014 EDIT: I've recently had the pleasure of shooting a few pre-ban Chicoms...They were pretty sweet. I would probably trust a Polytech or preban Norinco with my life. BUT, I could own three WUM-1s for the same cost as one preban Chinese. They were fun to shoot, but I'd prefer to keep my green.

––sf
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#29]
just to add my 2p's ( a nickel ???) worth i am loving my Izhmash AK-104, build quality is high with a very good finish and the sights etc are all good.Everyone at my local range that tried it are more than impressed with the accuracy and it has surprised a few of the target rifle guys when they've had a go and its changed a few peoples attitudes towards AK's.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#30]
+1

1. Romanian SAR 1
2. Arsenal SLR-106FR
5. Saiga LEO 12C
6. Arsenal SAS M7
7. Arsenal SA M7 Carbine
8. Arsenal SA M7 A1R
9. Arsenal SLR 106U
10. Arsenal SLR 105 A1
17. Vector RPK-74
18. Arsenal SLR 107UR

Here is what I learned-

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:41:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hknewguy] [#31]
What's the best AK to buy that are plentiful at the local shops?
Top three would be good
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm no expert but one thing's for certain.

Even though everyone always tends to rank Romanians at the bottom end of things.

When people recommend a rifle that you can "beat on", "mistreat", "drag through the mud", "scuff, scar, test and abuse" and yet still reliably shoot without a hitch.... the funny thing is, WASR 10/63's are always highly recommended by all.

The canted sight war cry is played out by now. Yes check for it but it's no longer the rule but the clear exception.

Seems to me like Romanian WASR 10/63's are a lot like Glocks. They just keep going and going and going.

Just far more unheralded and cheaper (to scale) in comparison to the others. It's good to see the few who can admit as much.

Mine always does as well at the range if not better than the other guys who've paid twice as much.

I'm juuuust sayin.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll second that....
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PlyTecLgd:
+1

1. Romanian SAR 1
2. Arsenal SLR-106FR
5. Saiga LEO 12C
6. Arsenal SAS M7
7. Arsenal SA M7 Carbine
8. Arsenal SA M7 A1R
9. Arsenal SLR 106U
10. Arsenal SLR 105 A1
17. Vector RPK-74
18. Arsenal SLR 107UR

Here is what I learned-

I GUESS that leaves the ARSENAL SGL-21 AT THE #1 SPOT.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I've had my Romanian AK-47 ever since the 94 AWB sunset. Paid $318.00 for with two 20 round mags.  And come to find out, I've been told by many that the stamped receivers are somewhat more desirable that the milled ones.

Anyway, I love it and it runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EIGHTYDUECE] [#36]
I think the best fit and finish makes are the Arsenal variants,Vepers, and Saigas.  I don't like the paint finish of the Bulgarians and Arsenals but they are very nice rifles.  I have owned a Romanian SAR-1 since early 2002 and a nice Arsenal milled SA M-7 Carbine.  I bought the Arsenal because the SAR-1 had terrible trigger slap.  Right after I got the Arsenal, I bought the Tapco G2 trigger group and installed it in my SAR-1.  The SAR-1 shot as good or maybe alittle better than the expensive Arsenal.  I like the weight and balance of the stamped reciever AKs also.  I have since sold the Arsenal and have always kept the SAR-1 as my bug-out/SHTF rifle.  The SAR-1 is a '94 ban gun so it lacks the bayonet lug and slant brake, but I still like it best.

I have no experience with the Chinese AKs.

The Yugo M70s from Century are real nice and built like tanks so I rate them pretty high.

For fit and finish:
1. Arsenal
2. Veper
3. Saiga
4. Century Yugo M70
5. SAR-1/SAR-2/SAR-3

For function:

They all work great with the top three having the best and most consistant QC.  If you find a good Romanian SAR-1, don't pass it up. They clean up very nicely with new furniture and shoot as good as the best.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By dogear:
I read that the Norinco AK47 was chosen by the Navy Seals as their AK47 of choice after testing all the variants. It was their heftier receivers and barrels. That includes the MAK90 versions. The Norincos I've had (5) were solid guns.

My Milled MAK90 is my current favorite. I had a Yugo underfolder that would be a close second due to the RPK receiver on it. Only drawback is no chrome. I have an older milled Bulgy that would be third.

Link Posted: 4/9/2013 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Let me fix this for you !  

1.WASR 10/63
2.Airsoft AK's
3. Arsenal
4. Veper
5. Saiga
6. Century Yugo M70
7. SAR-1/SAR-2/SAR-3

Much better !!  
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:06:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JmanS2k] [#39]
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I've owned and sold several AK's in the last 6 or 7 years. The only one I regret selling is the Poly Tech sidefolder (Galil type).

I just bought another one and could not be happier. Like falling in love for the first time, again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#41]
The accuracy on my SAR-1 is terrible.  Like the size of a beach ball at 100yds.  Later I bought a SLR-95 which shoots a perfectly acceptable 3-4moa at 100yds with wolf.  I noted that it doesn't have cleaning rod and the gas tube has play in it and uses a spring clip to seat it fully.  Just recently I removed the cleaning rod from my SAR-1 and fit a gas tube that uses a spring clip the rifle.  The old gas tube was a very tight fit. Now it seems to shoot a lot more consistently. I've only shot at steel so far at around 100yds. I still haven't done an accuracy test on paper.

My theory is that a tight fitting gas tube pushing forward on the gas block creates muzzle deflection.  And as the tube heats up it expands and deflects the muzzle more, which results in a POI shift. With the cleaning rod, it rattling around would create harmonic disturbances, which could make accuracy worse.  (Most likely not as noticeable in a 4moa gun.) But it was still worth trying.

My Russian saiga 308 is a 5-6moa gun.  I tried my AR-10 loads that yield 3/4moa in my 10T.  175grSMK Lapua brass, 44.6gr varget.  It could be a really fickle gun, that needs a specific load.  But in most all my accurate guns 2moa was the worst they would do when charge weight is consistent and components are top notch.  To me, that makes the saiga 308 a pretty inaccurate rifle.

My Draco-C shot 2" at 50yds.  It has an ultimak rail and gas tube.  Both these things make the barrel really rigid.  My Mini Draco shot a really tight group at 25yds, like 1", but opened up to 3-4" at 50yds. It has an older Midwest industries rail that I modified to work.  Poor groups at distance might just have been me, or maybe the reduced velocity is causing the bullets to destablize. No idea.

In the end, the Arsenal is the one I see as most consistently accurate.  It also has the nicest looking crown and rifling of all my AKs.  And of course the fit and finish are superb.  I'd pick one over a converted Saiga.  Every Arsenal I've seen has been at or above the quality level of my SLR-95 in fit and finish.

Because of this I would put Bulgarian at the top of the list.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 9:32:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AndyHk93M4] [#42]
your mostly all wrong

Chinese, milled, pre-ban, polytech legend ak47/s fixed stock....#1 above all others mentioned ..   (I can list the reasons why if you'd like... best hand picked barrels, best craftsmen, most authentic etc..)

polytech side folders are also high on my list

accuracy is excellent on these guns
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 12:52:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I am looking at getting my first AK.  I am looking at Century for the company of purchase.  I was looking at an IO Inc., But the reviews are shit so I won't even go that route.

Is the Century a good first AK?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I agree.  I have much nicer AK's as far as fit, finnish and cost.  But my Sar 1 is my favorite shooter and shoots as good, if not better than the rest.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EIGHTYDUECE:
I think the best fit and finish makes are the Arsenal variants,Vepers, and Saigas.  I don't like the paint finish of the Bulgarians and Arsenals but they are very nice rifles.  I have owned a Romanian SAR-1 since early 2002 and a nice Arsenal milled SA M-7 Carbine.  I bought the Arsenal because the SAR-1 had terrible trigger slap.  Right after I got the Arsenal, I bought the Tapco G2 trigger group and installed it in my SAR-1.  The SAR-1 shot as good or maybe alittle better than the expensive Arsenal.  I like the weight and balance of the stamped reciever AKs also.  I have since sold the Arsenal and have always kept the SAR-1 as my bug-out/SHTF rifle.  The SAR-1 is a '94 ban gun so it lacks the bayonet lug and slant brake, but I still like it best.

I have no experience with the Chinese AKs.

The Yugo M70s from Century are real nice and built like tanks so I rate them pretty high.

For fit and finish:
1. Arsenal
2. Veper
3. Saiga
4. Century Yugo M70
5. SAR-1/SAR-2/SAR-3

For function:

They all work great with the top three having the best and most consistant QC.  If you find a good Romanian SAR-1, don't pass it up. They clean up very nicely with new furniture and shoot as good as the best.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#45]
guys I am a little confused on something,  i have read the post and purchased a saiga from classicfirearms,  i have read they have a good receiver and good barrel but that is it, due to being made at the plant that makes the real deal, the one I purchased was converted by "the importer"  not sure who that is,  I have watched  some YT vids that say its a company in TN,  what are the cons of this one?  I am looking for something to go to the range thats all,  If ever needed I would  use my AR and S&W for HD.  

I have read its a good rifle but the ranking on here says otherwise,  just wondering what the thoughts are and what is an arsenal saiga,   I know it has other parts installed but what if its a short list.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By my2Dogs:
guys I am a little confused on something,  i have read the post and purchased a saiga from classicfirearms,  i have read they have a good receiver and good barrel but that is it, due to being made at the plant that makes the real deal, the one I purchased was converted by "the importer"  not sure who that is,  I have watched  some YT vids that say its a company in TN,  what are the cons of this one?  I am looking for something to go to the range thats all,  If ever needed I would  use my AR and S&W for HD.  

I have read its a good rifle but the ranking on here says otherwise,  just wondering what the thoughts are and what is an arsenal saiga,   I know it has other parts installed but what if its a short list.

Thanks
View Quote

The importer should be listed on the receiver somewhere. If it says TGI, Knox TN, then its a TGI import, and was likely converted by Mach 1 Arsenal by the guys here locally. It should be a basic conversion, as the ones I seen werent too over the top, but basic.

The Legion SGL Saiga's that Arsenal used to put their name on where great. I have on in 5.45, but I cant say anything about the newer FIME guns. Ive never seen one in the flesh. I dont really think the Saiga's that came in under the Arsenal banner had much work done to them. I couldnt find any weld marks on the receiver to suggest that they did a conversion on the weapon when it came into country. I think they are basically barreled receivers and Arsenal just placed the required 922 parts in them. Just my opinion.

Your Saiga is a great gun. Dont let people on the internet tell you otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#47]
thank you,  yea I cant wait to get to the range when it stops raining......

ughhhh

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Well from this I guess we can learn each rifle is different, on the last page we read someone say their SAR-1 had horrible accuracy and then someone else turns right around and says they are the best. On page one we read Chinese are the worst and then on the last page we read how highly they esteem them. I guess there are trends for how rifles will perform from certain countries and factories, but obviously some are basing their information on experience limited to one or two copies of one particular model. Apparently that creates some sort of bias in some cases.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#49]
How does the Vector AK rank?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slamfyre] [#50]
Originally Posted By Krinkarian:
Well from this I guess we can learn each rifle is different, on the last page we read someone say their SAR-1 had horrible accuracy and then someone else turns right around and says they are the best. On page one we read Chinese are the worst and then on the last page we read how highly they esteem them. I guess there are trends for how rifles will perform from certain countries and factories, but obviously some are basing their information on experience limited to one or two copies of one particular model. Apparently that creates some sort of bias in some cases.
View Quote

I somewhat agree. I was biased against Chinese AKs due to past experience, but recently got to shoot two very nice pre-ban models. They were buttery smooth!

However, I'll stick by the ROMAK, WUM 1 as the best AK ever made for our market. Why? It's an absolute work horse, and I've never heard someone claim to have a dud. Even the WASRs are reliable as heck (unless you get a dud). An AK for its original intent is not supposed to be a thing of beauty. It's a battle weapon in the truest form. Part of why I rate Romanian AKs so high is their sheer reliability. I have lost track of the # of rounds through my WUM 1, but have not had a single failure. For a 16", stamped AK with zero bells/whistles, the ROMAK is also extremely accurate inside its kill zone. I am confident it will shoot just as well in another decade as it does today. And there are lots of parts. Soooo many parts. Dem' parts is cheap.

-SF
Page / 6
AK's in order of quality (Page 5 of 6)
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top