User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
AK's in order of quality (Page 4 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 12:33:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TimeIsMoney] [#1]
I also have 3 Vector Arms AK underfolders. Nice triggers and great fit and finish. My site is off to one side just a tad but the gun is very accurate. All are great shooters with great triggers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Well, I can only compare between my Polytech Legend and my Norinco MAK-90.

The Polytech is a Ferrari compared to the Norinco Volkswagen. I absolutely LOVE my Polytech! his
So.... gimme my Legend. I'd trust it with my life...and have...  2K rounds thru it with ZERO malfunctions... it'll bang a gong all day long at 200 and it still looks like it did the day I got it back in '89.

I recently got hold of a WASR-10 underfolder. All in all I'm happy with it but it hasn't paid its dues like the Legend has.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/USSCassiopeia/babies.jpg
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
How are the Mexican AK's rated?
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#4]

UM maybe not THE  best,but an outstanding rifle..one word. Yugo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2007 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say......

Excellent.......Russian / Bulgarian
Very Good.....Yugoslavian / Chinese
Good............Polish / Hungarian
So-So...........Egyptian
Terd.............Romanian

*Pricing should also reflect my above opinions.
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By AMD63:
In Order.

1) Russian
2) Bulgarian
3) Chinese
4) Polish
5) Hungarian
6) Madi(Egypt)
7) Romainian

It my personal opinion
but I might have forgotten 1 or 2.

The polish is number one, russian 2nd, and chinese down toward the bottom
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
How do lower end milled receivers stack up against high end stamped?

Are milled ALWAYS better?
Link Posted: 7/28/2007 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By repub18:
a WASR is by far the best

Yeah, I'm kinda leary of the WASR rifles. I looked at one a while back & the friggin bore was off center in the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]
My list of the best shooters.

Ive sold tons of AK's. and picked up a real Tula Russian SVD. I also had a Chinese SVD. After all tests the Chinese SVD won by .75moa. Ive also sold a few Chinese NHM90 and Mak90 that shot MOA... I didnt want to belive my eyes but It was there...

1) Chinese
2) Bulgarian
3) Russian
4) Hungarian
5 Madi(Egypt)
6) Romainian

Link Posted: 9/10/2007 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
hmm..

i do agree with most of you guys that have posted but i dont think you can really grade them so broadly. no natter what AK varient you get, they arnt always trash or always perfect.

first,
i have owned a wasr-10 (1st AK), Arsenal Milled SLR, Arsenal SLR-106FR, and a wasr-2 (5.45)

Ok, i would have to say that the wasr-10 was pretty much a peice of crap, but i Love my wasr-2 in 5.45, i mean its not the best quality but it shoots great, and its very accurate, and always fun for a cheap price.

i also like the Milled SLR, more so than the SLR106FR... i never really liked AKs in 223, not nearly as much as 5.45 and 7.62 anyways.

what im trying to say is, though many people rank the Romanian the Lowest, which i would Broadly agree, but i Love shooting the wasr-2 just as much if not more then the 106 or 103... i dont really care if people bash the romys but i only have good things to say about my 5.45

and whoever was talking about trigger slap, thats an easy fix, my wasr-2 came with no trigger slap, i guess you have to get the right ones from the right people who only deal with well built guns...and if they do have trigger slap, your dealer should be fixing that for you, mine would anyways.

my2222222 cents
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The ones I built.  Fortunately I don't have the snob gene.  I love my Romanian AKMs that I built.  I also built a Tantal.  The machining on it are better than that on the Romanian, but they both shoot and function the same...flawlessly. I have a Romanian RPk that has very well done machining on the metal parts. I've had a Chinese AKM.  Nice AK, but still only an AK.  I also had a Maadi.  Again nice gun, but still an AK.
This "what's the best AK" is just an exercise in the "tempest in a teapot" syndrome. It's fun, but it really doesn't amount to much. Get what you want and can afford and forget the "what's the best AK" crap.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I Like the Vector AK-47.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By AMD63:
In Order.

1) Russian
2) Bulgarian
3) Chinese
4) Polish
5) Hungarian
6) Madi(Egypt)
7) Romainian

It my personal opinion
but I might have forgotten 1 or 2.

I got Yugos , underfolders..
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
The Bottom line is they all, send lead down RANGE!
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I brought a SLR-105 for around $500-.
For that price it was the best deal going. Its has a very nice fit and a okay finish. Everything is straight and locks up tight. I have put several thousand rounds through it without a malfunction.
Even though I am pleased with this rifle I could not see paying 800-1K for one. It is a stamped piece of metal, which is not noted for accuracy, tight tolerances, or visual looks.  I would only pay $800+ for a milled version with a top notch finish, machined to exacting specs, worthy of a example show piece.

The rifle is designed for function not looks. Why put perfume on a pig.

I have to agree with carjacked, buy a decent inexpensive rifle, your time spent will make more proficient with the weapon.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
What is this rating scale based on is it the fucntion of the gun or just the finish?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I've found a NIB ARM Intrac Maadi, box, papers, manual, sling, etc. The shop is asking $450.00
This thread has the Maadi'  close to last place in the ratings.
I'm not an AK pro, but I remember not long ago, Egyptian Maadi's were considered the cat's ass. What happened?
These Maadi's aren't parts guns like the Lancasters/Vectors/Sierra and so on, but real - manufactured in Egypt
under one roof AK's.
What am I missing here? Should I buy it? ( I put it on layaway so I could touch base with some of ya'll
on your opinions before I totally committed.)
As an aside, there were three in the shop when I walked in first thing saturday morn. and two were sold within half an hour. So I put the last one on layaway in a panic buy mode sorta of thing.
      [This also has also been posted in the Maadi section]
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Agreed, the SAM-7 is one of the Best if you have a milled receiver model.
Firing Line has a choice receiver too; then for barrels; as mentioned above; the Chinese/Poly Tech uses Steyr blanks turned out in their factories. The Poly Tech Legend series is one of the best export models ever made.
I would have to disagree that the Russian rifles of late are better quality then the Bulgarian. If you want a great looking, well built, and very reliable firearm, the Bulgy's are probably the best commercially available. Stamped FEG's and the Arsenal Bulgaria Imports are excellent pieces of machinery. Russian rifles vary greatly in quality depending on year and factory built. Older Soviet milled rifles are the most valuable, but very few were ever imported. Stamped Semi-Autos are NOT military grade firearms, and some components are manufactured with way different spec's then military or export ordanace. The Yugo's are well made, tough, but lack the good looking finish quality of the Bulgarian's.
USA stamped receivers-go with Nodak Spud for the utmost consistentcy in manufacture. I have used them all and have formed my own; Nodak wins hands down.
Then use the best parts kit you can afford. Nothing wrong with the hand picked Romy's as they are military grade. They are AKM's however and have slim barrels, and cast components; just like the Russian AKM's. However; you can't afford enough ammo to shoot out the barrel. They work great and are in-expensive to build on.
If I had to chose one off the shelf semi-auto rifle; The Arsenal SAM-7 Milled would be the one.
There are many others from several different countries. Rule of thumb; if it looks like a well built, good finished, tight rifle-it probably is.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#20]
The Lancaster AK's what country is their origin, I'm new to the AK game?  Thanks, Les
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I am a newbie to AK's but learning a lot by reading various forums. I have recently purchased a TGI 75 Sporter. It's trigger, adjustable stock and Galil style forearm are by TapCo. I love the simplicty of field stripping.

So far I have burned a couple hundred rounds of Wolf 7.62 through it. It functions well and will stay inside 3 inches at 100 yards. For $425 I think it's a lot of bang for the buck. I also shoot a DPMS A15. I would like to get another AK style in 5.56 American made. Is Arsenal the best? Any others as good?
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Salty,
You may want to take your questions to the AK discussions forum:

www.ak47.net/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=64

These reference and sticky threads don't get checked as much, as you can see by the date spreads.

Also, the first informal forum rule is; when in doubt, buy them both.

And the second informal forum rule is; when really confused, buy them all.

welcome
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you Camper, I appreciate your reply .
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 1:07:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 007Kevin] [#24]
edited... found info I was looking for
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Norinco Type 56S-1, it is well made, has a very smooth trigger and over all is very solid.  I guess this is an early 80's import and to be honest it is my first AK, but I fine it hard to beat over the other AK's on todays market. so far 2000 rounds woth out any type of malfunction
all the best
Reaper
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 4:20:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Groundshaker] [#26]
In the early 80's i had a Norinco type56 It was excellent worked flawless and went through 14 cases of steel core before someone wanted it more than i did (wish i had it now). Back then,the Maadi was the bottom line AK. The Ban wasr's are the bottom line now (i know i had a 2003 wasr (paid 259 for it and sold it for 400 last month LOL).
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I have WASR, 12 G-kits(built), an SLR96, and a Type III kit(built). I have shot thousands of rounds through them and I like them all. Even my supposedly crappy WASR has never given me a problem and shoots as straight and as well as any of the rest.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi all
New here. These pages are great info. Now it would be cool to put it in one of those "vote for you favorite AK and least favorite" That would be so much more helpful to see how we all compare them on one page.
or is it all ready been done and I missed it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]
My Favorite AK is the one I bought last.  Today I bought a Arsenal SSR-56-2.  Beatiful blonde (wood), great body on her too (receiver).

I know she will shoot straight.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm considering getting an AK and noticed on the first few pages many people were not satisfied with Romanian models. Forgive me for not reading through all 8 pages but could someone tell me about the quality of the one I'm looking at? Here's the specifics:

*  7.62x39mm semiautomatic rifles
   * Romanian "G" AKM parts demilitarized from new or like new rifles
   * chrome lined barrels and chambers
   * NDS-3 US fully heat treated receiver
   * TAPCO G2 fire control group fitted for proper engagement
   * TAPCO US gas piston
   * TAPCO US slant brake
   * magazine well tested with Romanian, Chinese, Bulgarian waffle, Polish, and Hungarian magazines
   * magazine catch height adjusted for proper engagement
   * headspace passes with original arsenal gauges
   * barrel straightness passes with original arsenal gauges
   * chamber dimension passes with original arsenal gauges
   * extractor adjustment passes with original arsenal gauges
   * crown erosion passes with original arsenal gauges
   * firing pin protrusion passes with original arsenal gauges.
   * sights aligned with original military boresight collimeter
   * rifles are test-fired for function and zeroed
   * METACOL III satin black finish over manganese phosphate Parkerizing
   * wood refinished with minimum 5 coats of laquer
   * includes one 30 round magazine

The price for this is $600 and about the most I'd want to spend. I know generally the more money the better quality but for the price what can I expect here? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#31]
WASR FTW
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#32]

* 7.62x39mm semiautomatic rifles
* TAPCO US gas piston
* TAPCO US slant brake
* magazine well tested with Romanian, Chinese, Bulgarian waffle, Polish, and Hungarian magazines

It sounds as though you're describing one of the builds from Arizona Response Systems.  If so, they're a great company and I think you'll be satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Are the Orange-G Romys different from WASR-type Romanians? Because my Orange-G kit is quite nice (not that I have fired other variants to compare it to). There were two small problems that had nothing to do with the Romanian parts: the NDS-3 and Tapco G2 have well-known hammer-follow problems, and the rivet hole spacing on the NDS-3 is too far so the dust cover will not stay on. But once I bent the back end of the dust cover out to make it longer and removed metal from the hammer so the disconnector could grab it (while I was at it I polished the trigger hook - hammer interface to eliminate all grittiness in the trigger pull) I don't really have any complaints. The thing was basically unfired when it came out of the bag and the Romanian parts all look and work great.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Rayman1:
* 7.62x39mm semiautomatic rifles
* TAPCO US gas piston
* TAPCO US slant brake

It sounds as though you're describing one of the builds from Arizona Response Systems.  If so, they're a great company and I think you'll be satisfied with it.

I have an ARS Romanian G, and I am in awe of it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I just bought an AMERICAN MADE IO AK-47c and it is the biggest piece of shit I've ever touched  I wish I could return it  I wanted a cheap AK for my wife so she wouldn't have to clean it and I wouldn't have to worry about it "working"  boy  I hope I'm wrong we'll let you know next week after we shoot it-  I have a better built bb gun   I am TERRIFIED this thing will blow up in my face -the parts are so lose you can literally shake it apart  I made a huge mistake I thought MADE IN THE USA meant something and bought it without a pmcs    wish me luck  it is so light because it is held together with plastic!  the barrel is aluminum that will surely melt after 100 straight rounds   I hope I am wrong   I have run over and ak in Iraq IN MY HUMMVEE and the chinese made ak fired after a dust off!   if I drop this AMERICAN MADE IO version it might break

DAMN!
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#36]
The single biggest AK purchasing mistake is buying a WASR over the internet or otherwise not examining it before you buy it.

I handpicked my WASR from 3 different rifles and I'm pretty happy with it.

My mag wobbles a bit, but that doesn't matter anyways because I hold the magazine when I'm shooting.

I put a set of Meprolight Night Sights on it and it shoots consistent, honest to god 3 inch groups at 100 yards with Wolf MC FMJ.

Well, from a rest anyway

I'm a big fan of the GP 10/63 rifles, but I have no experience with the plain WASR 10s.

So for all I know, they probably ARE as shitty as everyone says they are.

But my GP WASR 10/63 runs runs like a champ.

The my Romy opened me up to the AK world and if my $400 rifle is this good, than a $950 Arsenal SGL20 must be fucking fantastic, which is why I plan on buying one in the summer, provided they are still available.

And, yes, I would trust my life to my little cheapie GP WASR 10/63.

Seriously though, don't EVER fucking buy a WASR without the option to handpick it first.

Provided you know what you're doing when you're looking at them, you will have no trouble getting a rugged and reliable (though poorly finished) rifle.

Big +1 for the GP WASR 10/63

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#37]
What... no Valmets in the list
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#38]
My first two AKs were Polytech Legends. The fixed stock model ran flawless. The Under folder however was not. After polishing the feed ramps and beveling the breech edges, It ran fine. I now do this mod to all my builds. I don't think the single angle chamfer the factories do is enough.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 5:57:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: femgungirl] [#39]
Shouldn't a thread like this have a poll?

Also, I'm not sure why people bother listing Yugo or Polish since those are kits with U.S. receivers. most of which vary. Many of the M70s built on DCI receivers are top notch but other century builds have a bad reputation, at least from what I've read in several forums all over the web. The tantal is the same, alot of complaints along with alot of praise, since it depends on the builder and the U.S. receiver.

Myself, I think it's more about particular models during particular years, e.g. the SAR 1 for 1999 and 2000 didn't have a great reputation but the 2001-2003 seem okay.

I like the Polytech Legend, the GLADs, pre-ban Hungarians, SLRs, and Valmets.

Lately, I've been looking into the VEPRs and may'be getting another Saiga SLG.

I think it's the some of the WASRs that have given the Romanian models a bad name but I've had fun on the range with a Romy G last summer.

I haven't tried any Arsenal SGLs, Norincos or a Maadis/MISRs yet. Usually people freak out when they see a girl getting into shooting AKs on the range, even more than my shotguns for some reason.

Oh, one way to look at which are the good AKs pre-2001 is to compare which ones California banned between 1989 and 2000.

Link Posted: 5/11/2009 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KMFDM:
The Poles I talked to in A-stan carried M4s (Canadian mfr. I believe)-they told me the M4 was more reliable than their Tantals not the other AKs mind you-they told me just the Tantal.
The Lituanian  soldiers used the G-36 because the said it worked more reliably than the *&^%&() Polish stuff they were issued-I deleted the expletives that were used.

That is not good reviews for an AK IMHO.

poles with tantals in A-stan carrying M4.. man stop taking weed.
M4 are only in GROM use,  i seen thousands pics of poles in A-stan, Iraq and i didnt seen any soldier who carrying something different than beryl.
no one ever offered tantals/beryls to lithuania, and they propably never touchd them
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 1:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Newaza] [#42]
I just bought an Arsenal/Saiga SGL20, and when I inspected it at the dealer's, it was top notch in every regard.  The fitting of all parts was excellent, and the sights lined up perfectly (no canting whatsoever).  I have an Arsenal SAM7 carbine that I bought about 5 years ago, and so I am somewhat spoiled.  Suffice it to say that this SGL20 exceeded my expectations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#43]
The Israelis can take a common Russian AK and strip, polish, etc, and turn it into the nicest AK ever was.And, the thing is smooth as silk as far as recoil and operation.Of course, most if not all were milled AK's to start with.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Wow lots of imformation !!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Chinese.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#46]
best AK47s are th eones with milled recievers, they are built with better qaulity , also are more expensive.

i am thinking about buying an AK47 with a milled reciever, but they cost alot i might get one with a 1mm stamped reciever for my first Ak.

wonder if the chrome lined barrels are good i was told they affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 1:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hardbargin] [#47]
darn man,
              right on you are the only one so far that hit the nail !!!
all i own is chinese and i had a stryer maddi 1984 and it was great also.
i never did like the akm stock. love the chinese !!!!!    i cannot spell steyer?
i loved the trigger on the maddi and it was very accurate w/handloads
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 9:41:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sjglenn09] [#48]
Go with that ARS G kit.  You won't be disappointed.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#49]

I am sorry but my attention span only carries me to page 4.

I know that Yugo's are not crome lined, but when Century imports them and they are sold as GP1975 do they rebarrel them with a chrome lined barrel?

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 19kilocav:
I just bought an AMERICAN MADE IO AK-47c and it is the biggest piece of shit I've ever touched  I wish I could return it  I wanted a cheap AK for my wife so she wouldn't have to clean it and I wouldn't have to worry about it "working"  boy  I hope I'm wrong we'll let you know next week after we shoot it-  I have a better built bb gun   I am TERRIFIED this thing will blow up in my face -the parts are so lose you can literally shake it apart  I made a huge mistake I thought MADE IN THE USA meant something and bought it without a pmcs    wish me luck  it is so light because it is held together with plastic!  the barrel is aluminum that will surely melt after 100 straight rounds   I hope I am wrong   I have run over and ak in Iraq IN MY HUMMVEE and the chinese made ak fired after a dust off!   if I drop this AMERICAN MADE IO version it might break

DAMN!

Here are some periods for you..................................................................... don't be afraid to use them.
Page / 6
AK's in order of quality (Page 4 of 6)
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top