Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/18/2003 2:03:07 PM EDT
I have 2 AK's---An SAR-1 and a MAC-90---was wondering what is the general consensus as making these a primary rifle as far as reliability and srvice life. My SAR-1 has about 200 rounds through it and the MAC-90 has none---wondering if I can expect to shoot a case of this crappy wolf ammo through either one without a problem, or should I have a spare parts or spring kit around????---they seem decent enough----thanks all
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn't start noticing any minor problems until the 35K + rounds point.

Just clean it every once in a while, and it will out last you.

The MAK-90 is a better rifle, but both should work for more ammo than you are able to buy.

The Wolf is just ususally not very accurate, but it in no way will hurt your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Never ever ever ever had a problem with any AK, Cant say that however for ARs
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time I shot my SAR-1, I shot aprox. 1000 rnds. in the time space of about 2 hrs. It only jamed once, and I think thats because I was using wolf ammo and the gas block is just slightly canted to the right. Thats 100 times better than any other semi rifle I have, so I would say, based upon my own experiances, that the AK and AK variants are extremely reliable rifles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
read your mak90 manual.  it say the service life is 6000 rounds.  be careful, very careful, because this is a misprint.  add a 0 to that number and you should start seeing problem with firing pin, hammer, some wear and tear on trigger.

make sure you put more grease on the rail than you need.  don't be stingy on the grease, it only cost 1.50 a big bottle which should last you a year.  use mobil 1 synthetic oil to lube in more than you need.  run a patch down before shooting it to make sure there is no loose oil in the barrel.  

mak90 has thicker barrel and better chrome part.  sar1 is a poor man ak, but it will last way past 35k rounds without a problem.  clean your gun after each use.  it is easy.  my wife can do it with her eyes close and so can my english teachers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
let us know if you don't know how to maintaince your gun.  i got a file from linx (the ak man) which tell you how to do it.  i also wrote up my own cleaning manual, which is think is much clearer and a little obsess, but nothing wrong with babying a ak47.

my cousins are in the army in asia and they have been using ak47 without cleaning them since 20 years ago.  their guns are also handed down and found on battle field.  their defintion of cleaning is to take a rag and wipe off the mud.  they do grease the gun though, but they don't like to degrease it first.  they told me they just pour axle grease into the receiver and hose the gun with water or deep it in the receiver.  pull it out and wipe it off with their shirt.  of course, their ak47 is made a little better than our import, but not that much better.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top