Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/13/2006 1:47:27 PM EDT
I've been offered 2 SKS rifles:

SKS 7.62X39 plant 26 new never fired: $250
SKS sporterized plant 26. Composite stock, bayonet lug, Bushnell Banner 3X9 Scope: $400

Googling "plant 26" isn't telling me much.

Any info/price confirmations/encouragement/warnings/links appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Plant 26 was just one of many Chinese plants that were cranking out SKS rifles.

Lots of good info here:
www.simonov.net/codechart.htm
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you want the SKS's for?  If for shooting and fun, I would get a Yugo for less than half the price.  If you want to collect/resell than you might be OK with the $250 Chinese.

Also, unfired probably means refurbished and unissued after that.

I don't collect guns, I shoot them so I would pass on both of these, if it were me.  You should be able to get a Chinese SKS for less than $200 if you check around.

Also, how is the scope mounted?  Two things to consider, if it is a replacement receiver cover with a scope mount, they tend to be loose and not very accurate.  If it is mounted on the receiver, than holes had to be drilled into the receiver permanently changing the rifle from original condition.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been offered 2 SKS rifles:

SKS 7.62X39 plant 26 new never fired: $250
SKS sporterized plant 26. Composite stock, bayonet lug, Bushnell Banner 3X9 Scope: $400

Googling "plant 26" isn't telling me much.

Any info/price confirmations/encouragement/warnings/links appreciated.

Thanks!

I think the $400 is way out of line.   I know they spent a bunch on the scope and stock, but he will never get all of what he has in it back.

You might check gunbroker to see what sporterized rifles are selling for.   Personally, I wouldn't give any more than what the other was priced at.  Offer to give him back the scope.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I was wondering if there might be any screaming deals here, but evidently that's not the case. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch out Lt  about those Yugos your going to get screamed at by the Russian owners. I agree with you about the Yugo Sks, But I want one of the Russians anyway. If I can't get one for what I consider as resonable price, then I'm just going to get a romainian for a chromed barrel ,and they shoot pretty dam good too. I already have afew of the Yugos and I think they are Excellant rifles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#6]
i like my russian that i paid 79 dollars for back in the 80's
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Watch out Lt  about those Yugos your going to get screamed at by the Russian owners.

not this russian owner.  cause i also own a yugo or three and they outshoot my russian.  nothing beats the russian for the "it's the orignial real deal, baby" type look, or just the pure beauty of the thing, but the yugos are by far the better shooters.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
its the heavier non chrome barrels chrome= loss in accuracy
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#9]
$400 is way too much.  I have two Chinese SKS's I might be willing to let go for $200 each.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#10]
  it would depend on the year of manufacture if the 250.00 rifle is a (good deal). if it were an early model it would be jianshe arsenal 26 with the heavy lug barell, milled reciever, and milled trigger group. it would have ben made chinese under russian supervision. use the first digit in the serial number, and add it to the year 1956.for example, if the first digit was 8 the year of man. would be 1964. if the rifle meets this critera 250 would be ok in my opinion. it should shoot great. however the yugo,s are pretty hard to beat when you factor in price.  400.00 ??? forget that.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top