Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:20:09 PM EDT
I want to buy a Chinese SKS, but Im afraid I would have people making outrageous demands as far as price goes.  Like look at this  http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976605373.htm  now, my father had picked up an Albanian SKS, with all matching numbers (stock included), and its in very good condition.  He picked it up from AIM for like $125.  Not sure what prompted this seller to increase price $300 hock.gif.

I know its harder to pickup an Albanian as there rarer then most SKS's, but damn, thats absurd.

FYI, anyone got a Chinese SKS to sell?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude,called supply and demand.A few years ago when I wanted to flesh out my sks collection,it pissed me off to pay 200 dollars a piece for chinese sks rifles that were selling new for 80 dollars years ago.IMHO your best bet to picking up a chinese sks is to keep an eye open at your local pawnshops.Take cash,you would be supprised at the deals you can get on a firearm with cash in a pawnshop.Good luck,also check out the EE here,there is the occasional deal on chinese sks rifles.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
FYI, anyone got a Chinese SKS to sell?

All of my Chinese guns, which include a SKS and a MAK-90s, are available for sale, but you won't like the price!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
everyone i have talked to has said chinese is not the way to go
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So I guess my $96, milled Norinco with the factory installed scope rail is a POS?  This rifle has taken a licking and kept on ticking back in it's prime.  I hadn't shot it in almost nine years and it still works just as good as it did 9 years ago!  Now that I think about it, not shooting the gun for so long made it like shooting a "new" gun when I brought it out to the range.

Here is a pic of the lil old Norinco:

It was purchased in January of 1996 for $96, and worth every penny!

EDITED to add:  If I remember my history correctly, the Chinese were taught by the Soviets on how to manufacture the SKS AND the Chinese produced a very high quality SKS, right up there with the Soviet models.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well, then, it must be true.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I called around to local pawn shops looking for a deal. Don't look for the deal on the phone, just see if they have what you want in stock first. Then show up with cash and look for a deal then.
I found a nice Chinese SKS. 1976 model. Looks like it had just been stored forever and never used. The top of the foregrip had a long straight crack in it from the wood drying out over time. Trigger was dry as a bone too and felt terrible.
I hung for a bit and looked it over very carefully. Price tag said $200. We talked. I got it for $150 including the tax and fees. He also had Barnaul HP ammo in stock for $2.99 a box. Good deal on that. I got ten boxes. That was before my ammo from SG came in.
I put some medium superglue in the crack and lightly wedged the halves together for a while. No more crack now. Not even visible where it was! The trigger just needed oiled. It now feels as good as the one I reworked on my Yugo.
Darn nice gun for that money. You just have to get out there and look around!
A local Dealer has Chinese SKS's for $250 to $300 if you want one bad enough.
You could check in the local Trading Post paper too if your area has one.
That Chinese SKS is much lighter than my Yugo. Feels like a carbine where the Yugo feels like a rifle. Machine work isn't quite as nice as the Yugo. The Chinese wood is nicely finished. But I prefer  the unfinished oiled wood of the Yugo when you put them side by side.
I haven't taken it to the range yet. But I'll take it on my next trip there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I know you said you'd prefer a Chinese SKS, but you might give thought to purchasing a Yugoslavian model instead.

Mine is WAY more accurate than any other SKS I have tested (5 so far) mostly due to the ability to go boltaction by turning off the gas valve. I can get sub-MOA groups with its favorite handloads on a good day.

Better yet, I can buy them for $175 already stripped of Cosmo and ready to shoot!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Depends on what you want.Towards the end of importation,some chinese sks rifles were kinda shitty.Both of mine are all milled,screwed in barrel which is more desirable than stamped parts with pinned barrels,allthough I would buy one of those for the right price.The chinese may make a lot of junk,but for the most part they make some nice firearms
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top