Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2003 4:14:26 PM EDT
Heres the present incarnation of my beloved SAR-1!!! As you can see I am a bit enthralled with the tactical look. I feel like if it can do it...do it. So with that...I will be adding a new clamp on front sight block from ACE to replace the traditional style FSB (I as well want the barrel a bit more uncluttered), a new rail on the right side of the bottom forend to mount a laser and high output flashlight to, a bunch of new 30 round synthetic magazines, a chinese 100 round drum, a bunch of Mag-cinches from Buffer Tech, and to finish it off I will be stripping and 1200 degree painting/cooking the whole shebang!!!
Whew....now I need another!!!
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/18816SAR-1-today-med.jpg
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]
That is freaking SWEET! Hows that metal upper handguard working out? I've been wanting to get one, but a couple of people have told me they get to rattling about!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually NRAJOE the upper is the best piece I have bought for the SAR-1 since the KOBRA sight!
In fact, it fit too tight when I got it! I had to grind a little off the end of the tube till it fit right in!!!
Not a rattle in 2000 rounds!!!
Now I don't know what kind of AK you have, but mine doesn't have the spring that some do, to hold the tube in place. It fits real nice. The old one did too!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually NRAJOE the upper is the best piece I have bought for the SAR-1 since the KOBRA sight!
In fact, it fit too tight when I got it! I had to grind a little off the end of the tube till it fit right in!!!
Not a rattle in 2000 rounds!!!
Now I don't know what kind of AK you have, but mine doesn't have the spring that some do, to hold the tube in place. It fits real nice. The old one did too!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 2003 SAR-1 and a 12/1988 imported Poly Tech preban...would probably put it on the SAR.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Metalman: Where did you get the vented metal upper, bipod, and the vertical grip?
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
thats a damn nice AK
close to waht I like to do to my SAR
I should post pics of my tac'ed out Bushmaster sometime
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey Metalman: Where did you get the vented metal upper, bipod, and the vertical grip?

The metal upper is sold at FAC/gunsnstuff.com as a MAK90 part $26.49. I got mine at a show, and it does wobble a bit on my SAR. I do not care though since it is a plate shoot gun and it seems to help things cool down faster when blasting.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#11]
THAT SAR1 looks just like mine, everything except the front handgrip.  The Smithy is loud, isn't it?!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
No offense intended but I just don't get it. You've mounted a nice sight on a receiver cover that wiggles enough to prevent a maintainable zero, and tried to make a tactical rifle out of something that has an inherent 4 MOA accuracy at best. It LOOKS great but where is the advantage? That being said.....I love the muzzle brake and I want one. The rifle does look cool and my AK's are reliable as hell(more so than my ex-wife). I just wonder about apples and oranges.

To each his own but that optical mount is just not going to be consistant. It's kinda like the old Colt Delta H-Bars(AR-15's) with their cheekpieces and carry-handle scope mounts that were too high to be anything but accurate at just one well-measured range.

A good gun is like a good woman........scr*w the bejessus out of her.......but never try to make her something she ain't. You'll just have disapointment and heartbreak in the end.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Snark- I don't mean to speak for MetalMan, but, I believe the sight is mounted on a rail that attaches on the left side of the receiver, not the receiver cover.  

I found my Kobra to ride a bit high, but a cheek piece from ACE solved that issue.

It's a work in progress...

With enough resources ANYTHING can work...

Edited to add:  NICE RIFLE MetalMan!  I like the sight from ACE!  Kinda pricey at $65 though!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Snark- I don't mean to speak for MetalMan, but, I believe the sight is mounted on a rail that attaches on the left side of the receiver, not the receiver cover.  

I found my Kobra to ride a bit high, but a cheek piece from ACE solved that issue.

www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p098854c736bac6eb2f232900165924f7/fae11c2c.jpg
It's a work in progress...

With enough resources ANYTHING can work...

Edited to add:  NICE RIFLE MetalMan!  I like the sight from ACE!  Kinda pricey at $65 though!

Yah...if it's the scope mount on the side It's mounted to, that would make a big difference. I dunno.....It's a great looking gun but I'm so traditional I get squeamish about anything beyond a caplock <grin>. I just like my AK's down, dirty, traditional, and MEAN. Any add-ons are for fun but might detract from the AK's main reason for existance.......reliability!!!

But like I said....no offense intended....to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Very Cool, looks alot like mine.  You need some waffle mags, that will finish the look.  I like the muzzle thingy too.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Hes right...the KOBRA is mounted to the receiver and keeps zero perfectly even when I have to take it off. I can keep a small 1/2" ragged hole at 50 yards and 30 rounds out of my baby so as far as functionality and reliability goes I still am in the game as with all the other drab AK's out there.
I'm a fiddler and can't stand NOT working on my rifles. The bipod is nice for shooting steel all day from a prone position.
It will go soon to be replaced by a nice light laser.
By the way William IxIx, nice rifle. I was going to order the ACE front sight block like you have, but made one myself that weighed a lot less. I still am gonna not add it though.
I saw a guy take his FSB off the front, cut it down and shape it, till it fit on the gas exchange tube. Then he cut back all the welding and blued it,to look like the Galil FSB, which is what I am gonna do. Very sharp, very light.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top