Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/20/2003 6:17:51 PM EDT
Picked up a nice SLR 95 last weekend.  The thumbhole stock was a surprise.  It is not horrible.  If I want to change to a regular pistol grip configuration what do I need to change?  It has the clearance for adding the lower tang.  Do I have to change the FCG, etc. to be 922 compliant?  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#1]
See the pinned topic above, it should answer your questions.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]
PM2790,  There is another stock option available for the SLR that does not require isntalling the lower tang.

Check out Ironwood website.
http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2Aprodpage/1zAKproduct.html

They make a stock set that is designed for the single tang receiver (SLR), and the mounting hardware is included with the price of the stock set.  It only takes a couple of minutes to mount the harware, and it is rock solid.

Ironwoods stock sets are not competely finished, so it will need to do the final sanding & staining.  There website has very detailed instructions if you have never done this before.

Couple of picture of the Ironwood mounting hardware.

End result

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
When I converted my 95 to 922 compliant, I ordered the lower tang and rivets from Global.  Because my receiver was milled on the inside to accept a lower tang, the replacement part worked fine.  However, the rivets were way too short.  I ended up using small stainless bolts, lockwashers, nuts, and Locktite.  They worked fine;  they are concealed by the pistol grip.  I used a black USA polymer stock, US fcg, and US gas pistol.  The result is quite satisfactory.

Mahatma
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
PMBIKER- I feel stupid.  I was looking all over for that info.  Was sure I had saved it 'somewhere'.  Thanks for the reminder.
Tracker- Great looking furniture from Ironwood.  I was planning on staying with synthetic but those pics of yours are tempting.
Mahatma- Thanks for the info on how you did yours.  Does your U.S. fcg give you as good a letoff as the Bulgarian set?  What brand did you use?  Thanks, all.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top