Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/22/2006 10:46:50 AM EDT
I have a Polish underfolder built on a Global Trades reveiver.  The wood stock that came on it is very nice, but I really like the look of Bakelite! I got a Bulgarian Bakelite stock set for Christmas from my folks, and I'm just now deciding to give 'em a try on the underfolder.  

I've come across a problem.  The lower forearm piece wobbles something FIERCE!  The insert portion that goes into the front of the receiver is too small.  

I'm trying to fill in the gaps with some clear silicone II sealant, but I'm not sure that's going to work.  

I'll try to take some pics shortly to let you guys see what I'm dealing with.  

Any suggestions?

**********EDIT***********

Ok, here's a picture of the front of the receiver.  I have put two "beads" of silicone to help stablize the forearm.  

Here's a pic of the forearm, where I have put two "beads" of silicone.  The forearm wiggles up and down, as well as side to side pretty substantially.  

Here is the old wood stock next to the new Bakelite stock.  See how much smaller the inserted piece of the Bakelite is compared to the wood stock?

And finally, here is why I want to go through this trouble, instead of just leaving it as it was.  The look of Bakelite!  I'm lov'n it!

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Could be that the Bulgarian Bakelite was for a milled receiver.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you're missing a piece of metal that fits around the end of the handguard. K-var might have them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think you're missing a piece of metal that fits around the end of the handguard. K-var might have them.

AH!  That would be GREAT!  I hope it's not for a milled receiver...  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

CRAP!  I just found this stock set on K-VAR.  It is a Bulgarian stock set for a MILLED receiver AK.  The Bakelite forearm looks just like my forearm set!  

At least now I know why it doesn't fit...  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Pretty much it......
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much it......

So do I need to go out and buy a Milled AK now or what?  I mean, I'd hate to see these $30-45 forearm pieces go to waste...  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Make some shims. They look cool.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Scrape the silicone off. Don't bother with it, it will still wobble. After you have removed every SPECK of silicone, clean the area with rubbing alcohol. Clean it REAL good. Nothing sticks to silicone (except silicone) and you have siliconed it up good now. Clean it real good. After you have scraped it, cleaned it with alcohol and it's dry...............rough up the area with some sandpaper/emerycloth. Maybe 120 grit?? Now clean with alcohol AGAIN. Then get some small pieces of WOOD, maybe popsicle sticks (?) and some gorilla glue Build the rectangle "insert" up with the wood so it's just a hair too big to fit and sand it down to fit properly. It may take a few days with the glue drying and all but it will be worth it and you won't see it either!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Scrape the silicone off. Don't bother with it, it will still wobble. After you have removed every SPECK of silicone, clean the area with rubbing alcohol. Clean it REAL good. Nothing sticks to silicone (except silicone) and you have siliconed it up good now. Clean it real good. After you have scraped it, cleaned it with alcohol and it's dry...............rough up the area with some sandpaper/emerycloth. Maybe 120 grit?? Now clean with alcohol AGAIN. Then get some small pieces of WOOD, maybe popsicle sticks (?) and some gorilla glue Build the rectangle "insert" up with the wood so it's just a hair too big to fit and sand it down to fit properly. It may take a few days with the glue drying and all but it will be worth it and you won't see it either!  

Hmmm...  Sounds like a good idea.  Well, I don't know when I'll get around to it, but I'll post pics when I do it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used "U" shaped pieces of leather from an old belt to tighten up lower handguards. Works great!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
JBWeld
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, here is a picture of the Bakelite forearm pieces on the rifle.  The lower is still sloppy, so it's merely a tease...

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top