Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:23:19 PM EDT
I went out to the range earlier today to finally sight in my MAK-90 after 10 years of owning it. It always hit low and to the left, so when shooting it, I just adjusted my aim based on where the rifle would hit. I know that is a bad practice, but finding a front sight drifter that actually worked was a pretty difficult task.

First, I start off adjusting the elevation by turning front sight post clockwise to bring the point of impact up. I get it hitting where I want it, then I start to drift the post over to the left. The strange thing, is that every time I drifted the sight a little bit, I had to readjust elevation. Is that normal or is it possible that my front sight base is pinned on slightly crooked?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2006 2:39:03 PM EDT by Creeper]
Sounds like your holding the rifle crooked. Generally you sight in an AK at 30 meters, then again at 100.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:47:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Creeper:
Sounds like your holding the rifle crooked. Generally you sight in an AK at 30 meters, then again at 100.

I didn't think I was holding it crooked, but you never know. Regardless, I shot several targets after everything was sighted in, and all was good to go. I will test it again, just to make sure

Also, today is the first time I ever used those 10 round AK magazines that came with the MAK-90. They sure do make it easier to sight in when compared to the 30 rounders that hit the bench.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:51:18 PM EDT
7.62 ammo is notorious for being inaccurate, shit if you were on paper you are ok. Use a good rest and the tools to move the front sight they sell em at gun shows, it looks like a little vise, which it is.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:06:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cobra-ak:
7.62 ammo is notorious for being inaccurate, shit if you were on paper you are ok. Use a good rest and the tools to move the front sight they sell em at gun shows, it looks like a little vise, which it is.

Screw that cheap gun show crap that breaks. I have a machinist in my family:

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:12:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gunz4me:

img161.imageshack.us/img161/7596/tools1web5wn.jpg

img161.imageshack.us/img161/9057/tools2web4yl.jpg

Got any extras for sale?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:26:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 2:17:41 PM EDT by gunz4me]

Originally Posted By gunz4me:

img161.imageshack.us/img161/7596/tools1web5wn.jpg

img161.imageshack.us/img161/9057/tools2web4yl.jpg

Got any extras for sale?

Sadly no, because those are on loan. My uncle got bored one day and decided to make them for me because he was tired of hearing me bitch that I could not find a good drifter. I was going to modify a C-Clamp, but he said that he had a better idea. He was right

ETA: I just got off of the phone with my uncle, and he needs the tools back to sight in his Bulgarian SLR-95.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:57:40 PM EDT

Honestly 7.62x39 is an accurate round but not so in the hands of an inexperienced AK shooter. Truthfully it took me a while to get used to shooting AR15's because the sight floats in the picture versus a clear ridged outline as the AK has but learned better upon joining the military. My first rifles were all AK's and subsequently I grew up shooting this caliber for many years. I can easily get 1-1.5MOA once I align the sights, head shot sized targets well out to 400 meters with open sights. The only down side is that the round drops very fast, goes nearly subsonic at around 500 meters but inside of 300 meters it is an excellent round for urban combat. It just takes a bit getting used to if your skills are with other weapon systems. It also depends on who set the head-space and what rounds you use just as any other weapon system.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:13:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Creeper:

Honestly 7.62x39 is an accurate round but not so in the hands of an inexperienced AK shooter. Truthfully it took me a while to get used to shooting AR15's because the sight floats in the picture versus a clear ridged outline as the AK has but learned better upon joining the military. My first rifles were all AK's and subsequently I grew up shooting this caliber for many years. I can easily get 1-1.5MOA once I align the sights, head shot sized targets well out to 400 meters with open sights. The only down side is that the round drops very fast, goes nearly subsonic at around 500 meters but inside of 300 meters it is an excellent round for urban combat. It just takes a bit getting used to if your skills are with other weapon systems. It also depends on who set the head-space and what rounds you use just as any other weapon system.

You gotta take me shooting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:34:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 5:07:37 PM EDT by Newbie214]
.Do you sight in with it set to 100 or 0?

Top Top