Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 9:54:04 AM EDT
I was at The Firing Line in OK the other day and one of the employee's was saying that the best combat weapon ever made is the AK-47.  He was really knocking the AR-15 because of reliability and he said you could take an AK into battle and if need be, you could go a month with out cleaning it and it would still run.   These guys at the Firing Line make some sort of "milled reciever" for AK's.  Not really sure what all they do.  Anyways, I over heard the guy say that the Romanian was the best gun to get for beginners because the barrel is high quality?  He said he sells them for $400-$450.00, does that price sound right?  I have been in the market for one just to add to the collection and just figured I could come to the experts here to get the answers.  

In case you are interested in the place, here is there web page.

Firing Line
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
romanians are great beginner AK's.  i had a SAR-1 (romanian) as my first AK.  Firing line is good people, although if you shop around you can find a romanian AK for less than $400 that they're asking (of course, it depends on the type of rifle too--there are many differences even among rifles from the same country).

and the milled receiver is a receiver that is basically "carved" out of a solid block of steel, as opposed to a stamped receiver which is formed (stamped/bent) into shape from a sheet of metal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Starting with a Romie is an option. I think you ought to look at Vector Arms instead, their rifles are nicer than many of the Romanian builds and aren't that much more expensive (maybe $500-$600). They have quite a few different models availabe, including a couple with mlled recievers. Personally, I don't see the need for a milled reciever, they only add weight and improve....nothing really, IMHO. A well made AK with a stamped reciever will do just fine, and will likely outlive you. It'll be cheaper, too.

Another really high quality and pretty affordable option is an Arsenal SLR-105. 105s are really nice; they're chambered in 5.45x39, cool caliber. They're about the closest thing to an AK-74 that you will find. Problem is that they have recently been discontinued, and if you want one you will have to start searching ASAP. I know some have been up for sale on the Equipment Exchange recently. Anyway, if you find one you are looking at maybe $500ish (maybe less) for a neutered one, with no flash hider or bayonet lug, and maybe $650ish for a no-ban with the flash hider and scope rail and all that fun stuff. These rifles are higher quality than most others in that price range, and if you see one I would think about snatching it.

Oh...one thing if you're new to the AK world: 5.45 ammo is a pain in the butt to find right now. A HUGE pain.It's only made in Russia, so if you get a 105 be prepared to search and/or wait for the ammo to show up.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have yet to see, in my last 7 months in  iraq, a US soldier who carries a AK. Gota love these rumors
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
As I understand it, the majority of the people carrying AK's do so because they were not issued a rifle, not instead of an issued rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have yet to see, in my last 7 months in  iraq, a US soldier who carries a AK. Gota love these rumors

What's with all the pictures on the internet (and on my HD) of US forces using AK's ?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I over heard the guy say that the Romanian was the best gun to get for beginners because the barrel is high quality?  He said he sells them for $400-$450.00, does that price sound right?

Thats a good price for a Romanian.  In the last year the price has really gone up on AKs.
Only Century offers an AK cheaper than that.  (WASRs)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
CobraCutter is right - there aren't any US soldiers with AK's issued to them.  The photos you've seen are just little slices of the moment and from different times (2003-2006).  A GI may be photographed carrying one, but you don't know the circumstances regarding it.  Remember, the camera is around so GI's will be GI's in front of it.  And sure, some have kept an AK or two in the truck for special circumstances.  But NO US soldier is going to carry one during a patrol or going into the ville - that's an excellent way to get shot by your buddy should something happen and shots are fired quick.

That aside, I use an Izzy milled AKS (folder) and an Iraqi/Yugo "Tabuk" M70 folder when I go out. but I'm not a soldier.  I've had GI's ask if they could have their photo taken while carrying one for friends, etc. back home.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
CobraCutter is right - there aren't any US soldiers with AK's issued to them.  The photos you've seen are just little slices of the moment and from different times (2003-2006).  A GI may be photographed carrying one, but you don't know the circumstances regarding it.  Remember, the camera is around so GI's will be GI's in front of it.  And sure, some have kept an AK or two in the truck for special circumstances.  But NO US soldier is going to carry one during a patrol or going into the ville - that's an excellent way to get shot by your buddy should something happen and shots are fired quick.

That aside, I use an Izzy milled AKS (folder) and an Iraqi/Yugo "Tabuk" M70 folder when I go out. but I'm not a soldier.  I've had GI's ask if they could have their photo taken while carrying one for friends, etc. back home.  

I have pics of Americans carrying AK's on patrols and in combat.  

I have other pics, primarily of Americans posing with captured weapons as well as plinking with them.  

ETA: I'm well aware they're not issued and probably not authorized, either.  But that doesn't explain some of the pictures, particularly the first one with the Army squad and the third one with the Marine in Fallujah.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I would say Fireing line is correct. The AK is probaly the most reliable  military issue rifle.  They want to much for there rommies.... Shop around. WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
the FL reciever makes into a really nice AK

My Russian AKS  on a FL reciever ... a classic AK
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The Ak is the better weapon if you are a third world peasant. It will run without being cared for; but why would you neglect your weapon? i know people out there still talk about the reliability issues the M-16 had when first introduced in Vietnam. Those problems have been taken care of. Do you think the richest country in the world would use the M-16 for forty years if it really weasn't the best combat rifle?

AKs are fantastic weapons but they are not accurate, suffer from limited range, terrible ergonomics, clumsy noisy levers, short sight radius, non adjustable sights, they fire ammo with not so good ballistics (the 5.56 produces worse wounds, the AK takes 10 inches of penetration before yawing the 5.56 yaws after 2 inches) slower shot recovery. I could go on.

I can't take anything away from it though because if you only have $300 for a weapon you can't beat an AK. But the truth remains that the M-16 is a higher class of weapon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top