Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/7/2006 10:04:49 AM EDT
Of these four rifles, which would YOU get... The Atlantic Arms Underfolder, The Russian Underfolder, A Polish Underfolder, or the Yugo Underfolder??? Im looking for a never failing, very accurate AK. It will probably ride in the front seat of my patrol car... I dont know a lot about the AK, other than I like the 7.62 round, so any help would be appreciated...
Thanks!

Atlantic arms Underfolder

Russian Underfolder

Polish Underfolder

M70 Yugo
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:17:19 AM EDT
why an AK for on duty use? even though they are utterly reliable their inaccuracy would be a liability, as would be the possibility for over penetration.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:34:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 11:35:25 AM EDT by Dieter122]

Originally Posted By kami211:
why an AK for on duty use? even though they are utterly reliable their inaccuracy would be a liability, as would be the possibility for over penetration.

being in a patrol car, I dont think an officer will engage a target past 50yards or so normally...AK is fine at these ranges. +1 for AK as the choice.

Russian AK underfolder, being it has black furn...I think the wood would make the AK look too "evil" to be PC as a LE weapon haha
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:41:35 AM EDT
It’s just me but I haven’t seen any LEO carrying AK… but indeed excellent choice. I highly recommended Arsenal SAM 7 A1R over any other rifles you listed. Very accurate and solid AK… of course this is strictly my preference.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:51:38 AM EDT
I'd go for the Yugo M70. From what I understand they are super tough AK's. They have a heavier front trunnion than the normal AK. Only think I would ask them about is the condition of the bore. Yugo's aren't chrome lined like some of the other AK's. According to the ad, they are in very good-excellent condition so that really shouldn't be a concern. And that is a decent price. And the underfolder is a honey of a rifle. Very compact. It only takes a second to unlimber the stock. The Russian would be nice but is a bit pricey. For the difference in price you could buy mags and ammo. And don't let anybody BS you on the accuracy thing. For your use, it is more than accurate and it has better penetration. Try the Yugo, you'll like it. The dark side beckons.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 12:01:01 PM EDT by motorcityman]
If my life depended on it i would'nt go cheap with buying a rifle, all those rifles you mentioned are great but then again there all built by who knows who with whatever reputation with whatever parts, i'd want the best for that situation myself. A underfolding stock doesnt give good enough cheek weld to make a quick accurate shot, they do look badass though dont get me wrong but ur life depends on it right, Underfolding AK's are for tank and APC crews, short and confined and good enough in the field but not the best, I have several i love them but in a real world envirnoment i would want something better. With all that said, for you i would go with an Arsenal with a side folding stock like the SA M-7 SF, it has a side rail for a scope, its built by a reputable factory, ambidextrous safety, late style gas block, all the features i'd want out of an AK thats going to maybe one day sav my life. All the parts are new and not taken from a parts kit that used to be a rifle that was cut up for the parts. On top of everything i think this gun looks badass and looks very evil as well. I dont own one yet but its on the list. Its a little more than double the price then the ones you mentioned but then again its double the rifle then all of them, IMHO. LINK McM
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:11:04 PM EDT
If I need to "reach out and touch someone" Ive got a Remi 700 that will do that, so range isnt an issue. Im looking for a SHTF rifle. I will more than likely just shoot it at the range, but I will probably keep it in the trunk for emergencies, so it will ger rattled around a bit. The underfolder is relatively small, and space is a consideration. I dont have a lot of dough either, so although the SAM 7 looks like an awesome gun, its out of my price range, unless you'll donate one my way. Since Im breaking into the AK world, is Atlantic Arms a good place to start?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:22:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 1:27:39 PM EDT by TX-Zen]
For the price you could get one in 5.45x39 which is a LOT more accurate than 7.62x39. I loved my WASR10 but sold it because of accuracy issues. I got a Bulgarian SLR105 shortly afterwards and am completely in love with it. I am getting to the point where I like to shoot it more than my M4, partly because of the novelty, partly because I shot the hell out of the M4 in the service and partly because its got a particular feel that I really enjoy.

There is no trigger slap and its very light, lighter than my stock M4 trigger was IIRC. It's smooth and has a clean breakover...pretty much unlike any AK I've ever come across and pleasantly surprising.

As for lethality which is probably a concern for you as a LEO maybe 7.62 is more effective (I'll let others with more experience put their .02 rupees in), but the 5.45 should be just as effective as the 223 at close range....so all things considered if I were in your shoes I'd go with 5.45--but thats just my personal taste.

I agree that it should be all black though, that combloc look probably isn't the right image for police here

Z

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:01:43 PM EDT
Why not a paratrooper SKS or just a regular chicom sks?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 2:13:28 PM EDT by kami211]

Originally Posted By badge502:
If I need to "reach out and touch someone" Ive got a Remi 700 that will do that, so range isnt an issue. Im looking for a SHTF rifle. I will more than likely just shoot it at the range, but I will probably keep it in the trunk for emergencies, so it will ger rattled around a bit. The underfolder is relatively small, and space is a consideration. I dont have a lot of dough either, so although the SAM 7 looks like an awesome gun, its out of my price range, unless you'll donate one my way. Since Im breaking into the AK world, is Atlantic Arms a good place to start?

Atlantic Arms is a good place to start, out of the four guns i'd suggest the 1st or 2nd.

the 1st one is built by Vector, a good gun for the money but they use what ever parts they can get a hold of so the gun you buy may have different furniture or a different style of underfolder stock. Also, this gun is available with black plastic furniture, i don't think it will cost extra but it may be a few dollars more.

i believe the 2nd one is done by Red Jacket, they do very nice work and the donor gun is a Saiga which the price reflects.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:22:18 PM EDT
I would check with my boss, before packing an AK in the partol car with you. He and the public might frown on it. AK's get a bad rap and you might be known as the crazy cop that packs an AK. When you mention AK the first thing people think of is a machine gun. When I tell people I work I have an AK, they say "what in the world are you going to do with that? Shoot up a mall or get pissed off and bring it to work?" I bought mine because I like collecting guns and target shooting. Home defense I have a Mossberg 500 riot gun. It's just my opinon, but I don't think I would carry an AK in the car with you. I know this isn't correct on this board, but an AR15 is more accepted on a police officer than an AK47.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:29:23 PM EDT
I sold the M4, and we can carry what we want to... If the public ever has an opportunity to see it, my guess is, the AK is not what they will be looking at. There are several others that carry AK's... I appreciate your concern though, and I know where you are coming from.
Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:16:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:04:58 PM EDT
I'd recommend you shoot an ak with an underfolder on it before you buy one.
I find most either like them of hate them. Of those you posted I'd go with the 1st one made by Vector.
I, myself, prefer a side folder over an underfolder. At least with a Romanian side folder, if you find you don't like it, it's really easy to put a fulsize stock back on.
Top Top