Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 11:40:40 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm mainly an AR guy, but I do have a Norinco (I think) NHM-91.  It's basically a standard stamped receiver AK with a longer barrel.  I like it okay for plinking, but would like to turn it into a more tactical weapon.

The handguards heat up horribly under sustained fire, to the point where after firing 100+ rounds through it, the oil in the wood will sometimes start bubbling/boiling out, and they are too hot to touch.  Could somebody recommend a link to a good (but not too pricey) set of plastic AK furniture as replacements?  I need a stock too, because right now I have the stupid thumbhole setup.

Also, what are my options for switching to a standard AK barrel?  Barrel swaps are pretty easy in the ARs, but I don't know about the AK.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It must be an ar15 thing to want to tacticalize everything you see.......damn that black rifle diease!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It must be an ar15 thing to want to tacticalize everything you see.......damn that black rifle diease!

Hehe, no, I just want to turn it from a decent plinker into a practical fighting tool.  My ARs still have carry handles and iron sights, no rails even.  I'm not as "tactical" as a lot of guys on the AR side.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The NHM-91 has a higher value (in my opinion) if you leave it in the current configuration.

+1

www.polytechparts.com/

You can find some appropriate stuff here, IMO.

A suggestion:

Replace your Chinese FCG with a TAPCO FCG (double hook IIRC)
Buy the correct Chinese wood furniture from Keng's
Buy Chinese mags and use US followers and floorplates. You will have the correct US Parts count and a nice-looking and practical Chinese AK.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
oooo good thats to hear I always think its better to be practical than tactical
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
buy handguards with a heatsheild in them,  i bought k-vars bulgarian stock set for my sar-2, k-vars bulgarian stocks have heat sheilds

i dont know if they fit a nhm-91 though
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
just trade your rifle to someone who wants it
you want a 16inch standard ak
should be able to find someone who will trade you your rifle for a 16in rifle
with a standard stock and poly hgs
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
just trade your rifle to someone who wants it
you want a 16inch standard ak
should be able to find someone who will trade you your rifle for a 16in rifle
with a standard stock and poly hgs

Good point...any takers?  

If I don't trade this one, I'll probably just buy a second AK.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not turn your NMH91 into this:

It's tactical! That's what I'm doing for a new years project.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Good point...any takers?  

If I don't trade this one, I'll probably just buy a second AK.

It's not like I need another one.........but how much would you want for it?

Accountant
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#11]
SelectFire, what "brand" clubfoot is that ? Romy, East German, country of origin? NHM looks real nice.Madtechcool
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#12]
id guess the clubfoot is russian
the pg is rommy
and the front hgs rifle and drum a chicom
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not really sure it's a stock photo.I've got a NMH91 at a local pawn shop and I'm picking it up after the new year .Below is a link to find original East German and Romanian stock sets courtesy of  Matt S. I know Kvar has plum Russian sets but they are pretty pricey. Ironwood sells a complete set I'm pretty sure.
I'm not sure who I'll go with.Got to get the rifle home first!
www.interordnance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#14]
IO offers a new and used set. I bought the new set back when they were $49. It was new, never installed and came with an EG pisol grip. Make sure you read the used set's description.

IO's new set

IO's used set
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top