Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/17/2003 5:39:27 AM EDT
Both Tantal and FO sell an AK Tactical light. Anyone have any experience with these lights? How bright is the light compared to a surefire or other weapons light for that matter? Is the switch stout enough or flimsy (something about a toggle switch on a tactical light bothers me)? Anyone mounted another kind of light on their AK? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:51:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:13:39 AM EDT
Well, I haven't tried to break it, but considering that the AK Tactical Light is made by the same people who are making the POSP scopes (and other AK optics), I'd rest asured that it's sturdy enough.

I've had a chance to compare the brightness to an M3 pistol light and the AK Tactical Light looks brighter.

Please don't overlook the fact that it runs on AA batteries and the replacement bulb is relatevely widely available in the U.S. for about $3-6 each.

www.freedomoptics.com/Comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=117

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:36:31 AM EDT
kalibr, I agree with you. The Russians are certianly know for making very tough gear.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:18:12 AM EDT
I totally agree - the Russians do usually build solid equipment. But is the switch in/out or up/down? Also, does it put out a solid circular beam, or is it like a flashlight beam, which is usually dim in the middle? Is this unit in use by the current Russian military or other military - just for my education?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:32:18 AM EDT
The switch is "up/down" or "side-to-side" -- depends on how you mount the light.

The beam is solid. The specs in the manual say that the practical range of the Light is 100 meters, but it probably depends on what you consider "practical" -- I think it compares favorably with other similar tactical lights but 100 meters/yards may be a bit of a stretch.

I do not know if it is standard military issue, but I think (will need to double check later today) the Russian manual makes references to AK-74 as opposed to Saiga or Tigr, which would indicate that it was designed for the military/LEO market.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:36:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:40:08 AM EDT
Some kind of metal alloy. The body doesn't have any plastic. The lense is glass.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:41:16 AM EDT
Interesting! Do you have an ouput listed in Lumens? What is the diameter of the tube?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:52:15 AM EDT
Thanks very much for the info kalibr. I guess I could get used to a "side-to-side" toggle switch, but that seems a little unnatural to me - but that's just me. I definately like the solid materials, especially the fact that it uses glass instead of some sort of plastic as a lense. Does it offer a broader beam, than say a surefire, due to the lense dimensions? Is it a pretty tight beam or sort of difused? Do you know if there is a possibility of them adding a tape switch sometime in the future? Sorry for the massive questions, but your our test guy man - sorry for the book :)

I noticed Tantal had a pic of an AK-74 with a Kobra and light - know what light that is in the pic?

Thanks - Shon
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:15:00 PM EDT
Sorry for the delay, just wanted to do some "field tests" before I get back to you.

First, I remain very impressed with the light. The beam is bright and stays surprisingly very focused. The manual says that the rate of beam spreading is less than 5 degrees. I now actually think that the practical range of 100 meters is not an overstatement.

The diameter of the "tube" is 41.5 millimeters (roughly 1.6 inches). I don't have the output specs in lumens, unfortunately. I don't know about a tape switch.

Speaking of tactical lights and Kobra's, here is a picture from a weapons exhibit that took place in August of this year in Izhevsk:

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:52:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kalibr:
Sorry for the delay, just wanted to do some "field tests" before I get back to you.

Thanks for the effort! I appreciate you looking into this light. My SAR-2 has become my favorite weapon over my AR - mainly because of the weight and less recoil. This light will definately find a place on my AKs - will just need to work on how to activate that switch with minimal hand movement.

The switch seems to follow the rest of the AK design philosphy - just don't know what that is? Long safety, mag release...just need new gadgets to fix this :)

Speaking of tactical lights and Kobra's, here is a picture from a weapons exhibit that took place in August of this year in Izhevsk:

www.freedomoptics.com/files/znich-on-tigr.jpg

On another note, seems this guy went to the same gun safety course as Diane Feinstien...Something about this weapon - the AK - that makes you just want to put your finger on the trigger. Why is that :)

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:15:17 AM EDT
I don't suppose anyone knows of any 40mm scope rings (particulary quick release ones)?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:44:19 AM EDT
I think the Surefire Classic Series light can mount to the barrel and be lighter, more compact and maybe brighter than that thing if you're not looking for authenticity.
Top Top