Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/22/2003 1:35:18 PM EDT
You posted this over at ak47dot:

"For all us purists Kalashnisnobs out there, figure you would want to know that Ted Marshall can do IZHMASH, Tula, Bulgarian Arsenal, and Radom arsenal codes. Along with Cyrillic selector marking as done by Tula, IZHMASH, and Bulgarian Arsenal. These services are only offered if he is doing the complete build. Ted also does Saiga mag well dimples, and can add or remove trigger "humps" etc, yadda, yadda ding dong. I don't know anyone else that has ever offered these services, discounting "informer" of course."

Are those pictures of his work?

Contact info?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Well. If he's recomended by the staff at AK 47.net you can bet his career is in the toilet. Then again it may just be the new name for GaGu.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth, if Ekie IS staff at ak-47.net, he seems to be a straight-shooter from what I've read.

Anyone else able to back this up?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I know he post here and there.  But I can't ask him over there for some strange reason.  Oh yeah, I was banned by a fake sea mammal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, for what it is worth, I will chime in here and say that yes Ted Marshall is a straight shooter. I do his photography for him and help him with research. He is developing a web page slowly but surely. He is now working full time as a Class II and gunsmith, specializing in AKs, and I GAURANTEE you that no other AK smith out there goes (or 'knows' for that matter) the lengths to which Kalashnikov purists demand of their builds. His finishes are top notch and workmanship second to none, and he has done some very difficult builds, and his attention to the details is impecible (for those guys who care).
I will link to his web page when it is done.
I just photo'd some builds for him recently, including a post ban AK-105 where he lengthened
and re-clocked the Krink style flash hider to make the legal barrel lenght, but still have the look with the 105 gas block etc. He can also shorten the booster to give the real look for the guys who want an SBR AK105. At this time he is even supplying/selling the Russian rear stock trunions and black plastic folders for people who are doing AK100 series builds.
His engraving capabilies are excellent too, selector markings, arsenal codes etc...almost too good for AKs!
-C

p.s. [email protected]
tell him Chamberlin sent you (so I can get huge kickbacks! Kidding! ;) , and please understand it may take him a while for email correspondence.
I have been trying to make him understand the importance of good email communication these days! He is well aware of the Guch situation,
and has already fixed/repaired builds from him and a few other AK smiths too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 2:40:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Ekie is one of the good guys over there from what I've seen. He posts on several of the gun boards, I respect folks who run the same screen-name board to board. (not saying it's wrong to use different names, just nice to easily identify folks you already 'know')

Hey, dot.nutz is an o.k. site so long as your views regarding God, Guns and Government reflect those of the ASSHOLES who run it. (edit: and you do know that LAGC is HDR's personal homemade alter ego.)

Trash the site if necessary but don't trash the members, especially the good contributers (not the CASH contributers, the ones who share their knowledge). We want the good ones to feel welcome when they find their new home.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Ekie is a great guy. I have been trading stuff with him for awhile. Very honest. He has done allot for me.

The top one is mine (Ekie bought a sterile trunnion from Global trades, then sent it off to Ted.)
AKM trunnion for a Tula AKMS build

It will be combined with a Polish kit and some Russian wood to make a "close enough" AKMS clone. Ekie bought the Polish parts, sent the trunnion off to Ted, and sent everything to my familiy in the US. Since I am in Germany, this would of been impossible for me to do.

AK-74 trunnion
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like I am a little late to jump in on this, and all questions appeared to be answered.  And thank you for the kind words, and yada, yada, ding dong.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I am new to the AK thing here, though I have had a Romanian WUM for a few years now.  I am confused, though.

How is it OK, and a stand up thing, to be counterfeiting parts?  I don't get it.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Well why would you buy a Pre-built $1000 Krinkov from Ohio Rapid fire, or In Range or anybody? Using your views, all those guns are counterfits aren't they? They aren't real military Krinkovs made in Russia, which are the "the only TRUE Krinkov" right???? <sarcasm>

Counterfitting means you are copying something and offering it to others as something it is not. If Gunsmith X makes a Krinkov out of your WUM2 for example using a bulgarian parts kit, and then tries to sell it off as a real Russian factory Krinkov.... then Gunsmith X is counterfitting something. Ekie and the others are REQUESTING parts to be made to look like the real thing for their own personal use, not to trick someone into buying something that has been falsified. That is all.
-C
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have never seen another area of collecting or hobby where faking maker's marks is OK; Making something *look like* something else is usually OK, but not faking marks.

OK, if that's what floats y'alls boat.  I can't say I understand what you would want with fake-marked parts since you know it's not real, though.

Related question:  How do you all figure to prevent someone from claiming it is real when you sell it (or die)?

And no, the "builds" aren't counterfeits, since they do not claim to be something they are not.  They are "replicas" or copies.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Its pretty simple.  Do some research and you will find that no semi auto Russian AK's have ever been imported into this country with Russian military arsenal markings.  

Can you buy a Russian semi auto AK?  Yes.
Is it marked like a military AK?  No.

Brick
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Not to mention, *if* you know what you are looking at, those super nice markings are perfect in comparison to RUssian markings. Many people have been fooled by the old Nazi Waffenampt stamps of recent, but as Brick said, there hasn't been any Russian military semi auto marked guns in the country, for starters, and the markings don't look quite right if you know what to look for.
But bottom line, yea it floats some guy's boats.
-C
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:51:57 AM EDT
[#16]
The stampings on the Ak parts sort of reminds me of knock-off designer handbags that west-Africans are selling on 5th Ave in NYC.  :)

Hey!  If someone wants their rifle to look as close to the real thing, I say, more power to them!  

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not completely alone here.

Quoted:
Hey!  If someone wants their rifle to look as close to the real thing, I say, more power to them!  

Just a thought;  On the military history side of the collecting we often need to make a part, a bayonet, something that just doesn't exist anymore.  When that is done, it is considered "proper" to make it either out of non-standard material, or mark it in a hidden spot with the date/place of manufacture, in such a way that if it is ground/defaced it is obvious that something happened.

We don't want to inadverdantly make a fake to fool someone later, you see.  I know that people "know" now, but in a hundred years?  If it's not documented or marked, it's open to misunderstanding, to be generous.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure there are unsavory people out there who would pull a fast one like that, but if the buyer is stupid enough to believe a high-tale story then I have a bridge to sell them too! LOL!  

I can't feel sorry for anyone who doesn't do their homework before they buy a rifle.

As the old saying goes..."there's a sucker born every minute and there's  3 to take him"!

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#19]
It is simply a service provided by Ted Marshall for Kalashnisnobs.  If you have to ask, then you ain't going to get it brother, and the post ain't directed to you.  Thank you for the concern just the same.

BTW, the only individuals that could be fooled into thinking one of these project rifles was a real deal would be the same guy that would not know what these arsenal codes are in the first place.  

Besides, the engraving on the side of the receivers that reads:

FEG HUNGARY
MODEL SK-100
SER# XXXX
ARSENAL USA
HOUSTON, TX

CAL. 7.62X39

Just might give it away.  Of course that is takeing for granted they can read.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]

As par, Ekie summed it up nicely.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not completely alone here.

Quoted:

Just a thought;  On the military history side of the collecting we often need to make a part, a bayonet, something that just doesn't exist anymore.  When that is done, it is considered "proper" to make it either out of non-standard material, or mark it in a hidden spot with the date/place of manufacture, in such a way that if it is ground/defaced it is obvious that something happened.

We don't want to inadverdantly make a fake to fool someone later, you see.  I know that people "know" now, but in a hundred years?  If it's not documented or marked, it's open to misunderstanding, to be generous.

Larry

Ekie's point is well taken; after all, who would be fooled?  

*  Back in the '70's I made up a couple of fun Ruger single actions using stainless parts on blued guns.  Kinda liked the "two-tone" effect.  Traded them off to a dealer at one point for something I wanted more at the time.  Come to find these same Rugers on his table at the old Chagrin Falls gun show with "rare factory prototype" labels.  Yeah, who would be fooled?

*  Coles is offering WaA-marked WWII Star Bs, carefully avoiding a direct declaration of provenance.  Anyone with the right book could look up the serial number and find that these pistols are from the Bulgarian, not Nazi, contracts.  Who would be fooled?

*  A few years ago a Gas Trap Garand was being offered at big bucks as an original.  Anyone who'd been recording gas trap serial numbers for a few years knew that the S/N in question had been a gas port rifle some years earlier.  So, who would be fooled?

*  I built my Barnett gas trap kit on an IHC receiver to avoid any hint of deception.  What do I hear?  "Gee, I never knew IHC made a gas trap!"  Hey, who would be fooled?

*  Recently on a gun auction site a high-dollar "original" Mauser sniper was on offer.  Seems as though the same rifle had been documented a few years earlier in a different configuration--with pictures.  Sure, who would be fooled?

*  Ya want more?  I got a million of 'em.  Heck, I even bought a Wedgwood vase knowing it probably wasn't Wedgwood, the protestations of the seller to the contrary.  I was inquisitive, and willing to pay for my education.

To give Ekie his due, you'd have to be really, really stupid to take one of these cosmetic replicas as more than it is, as you can't alter the original mfr/location/SN markings.  But, I've not found limits to human ignorance, nor to the avarice of those seeking to exploit that ignorance.

So, while this is perhaps a special case, the whole counterfeiting business makes me just a bit queasy.

Your mileage will vary.

Best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Fulton ARmory
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey, it could happen!  After all, someone is buying all of those Jennings and High-Points.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey, good to see you here Walt. Did not know you roamed around here.  I must admit, that I too have a critisim about this work, that being it is engraved rather then stamped, just looks to clean, don't look Russian enough for my tastes.

BTW, Ted can weld a back end on a Vepr so as you can build an RPK on one.

Here is an example of Ted's Cryllic selector markings:

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys might also find this interesting.  Here is an IZHMASH arsenal code informer did for me.  While Ted's work don't make me "queasy" in the least, this sure does:

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#26]
How the heck does he do the Saiga Dimples without weakening the steel or cracking the nearby spot welds?

That must be some feat alright.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I have not seen the Saiga dimples, so not sure what it looks like.  Ted told me that is does distort the mag well opening, and it has to be reworked.  It should be far enough away from the spot welds to not be a problem there.

There is a guy on ak-47.net that stamps his own dimples in the receivers he makes himself, and he don't think it is any big deal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
He is also designing dies for small dimples as well, for the older style look... I think heat is the key to making the stamping thing work properly...
-C
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks guys. I figured annealing had to be part of the process.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
The markings are mainly meant to be representations  of the real deal.

The "Kalashnisnobs"(I am one to a degree) as Ekie calls them are basically building models of Russian AKs using the availible parts. The Trunnion markings are just some another extra detail. Since the real Trunnions are almost impossible to get Stateside, you do what you have to do.

To compare the fakes with the real ones-I offer these pics.

Real Russian selector markings-

Ted Marshall's-

Real Russian trunnion markings-
This one has been partially ground away in its convertion to an MMG (dewatt)

AK-74M

AKS-74U

Bad scans from the Japanese AK book-

Teds-

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

and i can guarandamntee you that somewhere down the line, someone, somewhere will see one of these 'faux russians' being sold and represented as a 'gen-u-ine roosian smuggled in, battlefield bringback that was once owned by general zukhov and was only used in the battle of grozny on sundays to to kill a few chechan terrorists...see that scratch? that got there when the general had to bayonet a ghost as his command post was over run!'

Not a problem. If the buyer were to simply pull out his trusty AIM flyer, all would be explained in full color :)

Why do some people replicate Ferrari's using Fiero chassis? Or build an old Corvette with a different engine? To have something otherwise unobtainable for various reasons.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Back in the day,it was not un common for some of the different East block Countries to supply each other parts they may be in short supply of at the time.Bulgaria supplied receivers to Poland,Russia supplied trunnions to Bulgaria and were re marked........where as I have not [yet] gone to these lengths myself,I do specify to my Smith not to remove any trunnion markings on rifles I'm having built and I use the original furniture on each AK.BTW,Troy at In Range is also set up to replicate proofs and selector markings.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top