Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/14/2003 7:10:57 PM EDT
Well, I see why everyone hates that shepherds hook thingy! I'm going to buy the replacement part from Power Custom! But, in the meantime, is there a tutorial or some photo's that show how the damn thing fits in the receiver, and how you get it into the receiver? I spent 3 hours working on that damn thing today, didn't accomplish shit!
                        OJF
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Try here: linx310.nothingbutguns.com/

Should be some info in the fcg tutorial, possibly some more in the RSA sheperd's hook replacemnt review.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The shepards hook is an abomination which I have fought with many times.  

Page through this link and you will find a tutorial.

linx310.nothingbutguns.com/fcgremoval.htm

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Once figured out a few times they are not hard (RSA plate still better). My preference is to use needle nose pliers to pull the main hook over, get the rest of the fcg is position, use a small screwdriver to hold the bent end down while I insert the last pin over it.
I have never been able to insert the hook after the pin is in place, but it is easy now (with practice) to insert the pin after the hook is laid in place.
But I walked away from it a few times learning...
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't ANY of you guys stopped to think that if you are having SO much drouble putting that spring in, that mabey EVERYBODY is putting it in wrong?
I can put mine in without the use of ANY tools, AND it doesn't scratch the reciever.

It goes like this.
1) Hook goes around support rod just in front of hammer.
2) Then UNDER hammer pin.
3) Over trigger pin.

YES, I see that my SAR-1 doesn't come this way(so what the guy at CAI thinks the hard way is the proper way also) but my Norinco did, and its SO much easier.

Take time and think, what else on the AK uses tools to remove in fieldstripping???

I have never had a problem with the pins walking out because the spring sits comfortably in the slots in the pins and everything is under spring tension. HECK the end of the spring is even curved to better sit on the trigger pin.

Call me stupid but I think I'm the ONLY one that has figured this out.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Haven't ANY of you guys stopped to think that if you are having SO much drouble putting that spring in, that mabey EVERYBODY is putting it in wrong?
I can put mine in without the use of ANY tools, AND it doesn't scratch the reciever.
-snip -
BISHOP

Pictures! Glossy pictures! Please!
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry no glossy pictures.
but its real simple.  

For a stampped reciever go from the support post just in front of the hammer and hook the hooked part of the shepherds hook over the top, then, push in the hammer spring (the spring should be under the hammer pin) it will lock in to that part of the pin, then while lifting the very end of the shepherds hook push in the trigger pin and let it down on the trigger pin.

Its not revoulutionary, its just simpler. and it will hold.

BISHOP
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top