Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/4/2003 8:38:34 PM EDT
Well, here's a thought that I didn't think I would ever have.  Being in the military I'm used to the ar15.  Love the looks, accuracy, and I'm familar with it's operation/maitenance.

But now I"m getting an sar-2, and from a money standpoint, what's not to love?  The rifle costs half as much, accessories cost half as much, ammo cost half as much, you get the idea.

So depending on how this bad boy shoots I might end up selling off my ar15.  I know it's bad to sell a gun (esp. if it's not replaced by another), but if the ak is as good a shooter as it is budget-wise, I just may end up doing it.

I'll know in a few weeks...in the mean time anyone interested on an rra ar15 16" midlength A2 w/ 7 usgi mags and 1000 rounds of xm193?

Nismofun
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I will start the bidding at $1!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought the AR was the perfect rifle until I first shot my '74.  It can do pretty much anything a carbine length AR can do, only for cheaper.  

In addition to that it lacks the many design "quirks" of the AR.  

The AK is no soft-cuddly, give you a hug when you shoulder it, caress your cheek, support your pinky, high-speed "tactical" rifle, it's all business from end to end.

Every inch of the AK is brutal combat utility, and it makes no attempt to be a "sporter" no matter what name you tack onto it.  

And that's why I love it.  

I would consider keeping your AR though, even if you don't shoot it much.  The two rifles really do help you appreciate each other.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
All true, but I don't see the point in keeping it when I can get 3 sar 2s the way I want them with the money I'd make plus what I'd spend to get the ar to where I'd want it.  Like I said, it all depends on how well it shoots.  

And Hiram, there's a minimum bid of 700 + s/h

Nismofun
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I bid $5.00 US.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The going rate for an AR-15 is $499. I saw it in an add recently(plinker).

:)
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
read then reply
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Give it a few months.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I went to pick up my SAR-2 today.  I was a little worried about it having canted sights.  From what I can tell they are straight on!  The wood is a beautiful blond, just like my wife.  Too bad plastic will be going on there by xmas.  The finish on the gun isn't what I would call quality, but it cover all of the metal execpt for a few scratches.  Over all, it was money well spent.  I don't know what range they do the test target at, but it has two shots making one hole.  At first I thought they had only shot 2 rounds, but I had to look closer.

Got a few questions for you all.  My saftey is hard to move and is leaving a scratch on the side of the reciever.  Is that normal?  Also wondering if anyone had a quick link to a clean/lube site so I can figure out just what needs to be done.  And the cleaning kit that comes with it, is there some special trick to open it, or do I just need to use more force?

I can't wait to shoot it, unfortunately I'm going to have to wait for about 6 weeks!!!  Oh, and don't tell my wife, she doesn't know yet.

Nismofun
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, the safety is doing it's normal thing.  A half-circle scratch is to be found on virtually all AKs, no matter what make or type of finish.  

As far as the finish, you could grab a can of Baking Lacquer from Brownells and spray it a flat or semi-gloss black, then bake it in your home oven.  It would cost you very little.  You just need to find a day to do it in in which the wife isn't around, so the smell can dissipate.  It's an easy process, and I've done it a few times starting with no experience at all in gun finishing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
My saftey is hard to move and is leaving a scratch on the side of the reciever

Pull the top cover. Rotate the safety straight up. Wrap the safety, in the vicinity of the detent spike, with a few turns of nilon fishing lead. Rotate safety back down. Voila!! Smooth, silent operation of the safety and no annoying, give-away "clunk" when the safety goes fully on or fully off.

Not my invention. Picked it up from some South African rangers I ran into.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:40:04 AM EDT
[#12]
nismofun wrote:

>>The wood is a beautiful blond, just like my wife. Too bad plastic will be going on there by xmas.<<

Plastic is going on the wife this fall??
What kind of plastic are you putting on her??
Will she remaim a blonde??
Inquiring minds want to know!!

KyARGuy
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top