Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/1/2003 7:52:26 PM EDT
I picked up my second AK(first being an SAR1) last Sat. It's a pistol griped MAK90, SN#93355XX, w/laminated stock. The stock was refinished about a mounth before I got it. Anyway, I load up the mags and took her to the range today. Worked like a dream. Put over 500rnds down range. I bumped it, and bumped it somemore. When I got home, I was in the process of beaking here down, and when I got to the lower handguard, I noticed the finish had bubbled and boiled right off! I noticed some smoke when I was firing down range, but damn. It was extremely hot(21 30rnd mags in less than half an hour), but what finish would come right out of the wood? If it didn't have a foreward pistol grip instaled, my hand would have 2nd degree burns. I'll call him on monday and ask what he used. Any thoughts.... Thank you, Jason

**Ohhh what fun
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never fired 630 rounds in less then a half hour, but I'm betting practically any wood finish would seriously suffer from that kind of abuse. That must have been one very dirty AK!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if it came off the wood, like a varnish or urethane, or out of the wood like a linseed oil or tung oil.

I do know that my stock SAR wood finish has survived several wood smokings, which starts at the same general point where my hand gets too hot in leather yard gloves.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top