Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/24/2003 6:24:34 PM EDT
Are these rifles reliable? I also heard that you could modify .223 ak mag to make spares, any truth to that?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If it were 1980,  I'd buy a couple of them.  But in 2003, I couldn't recommend it.  Parts are too hard to come by and product support is non-existent.  Of course I apply the same logic to about a dozen other rifles too.  I like to stick with the basics.  But if its just going to be a safe queen, then it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the Valmets are reliable.  These rifles are more sophisticated relatives of the AK and the Valmets were the foundation used by the Israelis when they designed the Galil.  (The first Galil's used un-marked Valmet receivers.)

I THINK Tony Rumore made/makes a mag that functioned well in the .223 Valmets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes, the Valmets are reliable.  These rifles are more sophisticated relatives of the AK and the Valmets were the foundation used by the Israelis when they designed the Galil.  (The first Galil's used un-marked Valmet receivers.)

I THINK Tony Rumore made/makes a mag that functioned well in the .223 Valmets.

Tony modifies other mags to work. His latest has been to modify Bulgy polymer SAR-3 mags. I know, I have 6 of them and 3 orig steel mags. Got to shoot the Valmet one of these days. Got it this past winter and haven't had a chance to yet. Beautiful rifle.

You CANNOT use Galil mags, FWIW, even though that would seem unusual.
You can alter the bulgy SAR-3 mags to fit your rifle without too much difficulty according to Tony. For them to fit all Valmets will require a number of modifications. Just get them to fit in the rifle is what he told me.

There is someone who sells firing pins, disconnectors, etc. Don't know name offhand but I think I have it written down somewhere. Those are the parts to have but failures are rare.
That is the only downside to this rifle--the lack of spare parts.
The Fin's, in a fit of pacifism, stopped production of these awesome rifles. Be interesting to see how history views such decisions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
i just bought one, M76. Tony at Tromix is still actively making mags to fit the Valmets. Lack of parts notwithstanding, it's simply the best quality stamped AK i've ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  Just wanted to know a little more about the rifle. A friend of a friend is talking about selling because he has a new wife who doesn't like guns.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  Just wanted to know a little more about the rifle. A friend of a friend is talking about selling because he has a new wife who doesn't like guns.

I can give him injections to lower his testosterone level. Or maybe a bilateral orchiectomy. Then he'll be just one of the girls.

edited to add: By the Valmet if you can get a good price. It is a high quality rifle, one of the best of the AK variants. If in good shape you will not be disappointed.
I saw one for sale on the internet a couple of months ago in 98% condition for under $1200. I paid a little more for mine. FWIW I got the fixed wood buttstock. Don't care for the folders they made but that's me.

I also know where you can find a NIB bayo for it but they ain't cheap.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top