an "EXPERT" on wood finishes!

He adamantly insists that a varnish finish
makes no sense and would not be cheap and/or
adequate for a gunstock.

I know very little about wood finishing, but
he is getting to be a real Pain in the ASS
about this!

Could someone PLEASE give me some real facts
about the original finish, or at least a couple of links?

PS. I did a search - but no definitive info...
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#2]
your all wrong.
its actually a type of rare siberean maple syrup.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask your brother what is the cheapest finish for marine grade plywood that will always be outdoors?

It is Varnish, especially in a third world country like any former combloc nation.

A Russian stock is basically larch plywood finished with a colored varnish slopped on with a brush.

Mike

Link Posted: 4/27/2003 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Its lacquer.

Brick
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
well I got the proof........the furniture is stained, so there isn't any stained mixed in with the varnish, or whatever they use....how do I know? because I just received a brand new SVD wood stock set from russia....and it doesn't have varnish, shellac, or anything else on it, it looks a little like a mahagony stain....

now I'm no expert, on the finish.....but I bet they would use whatever they have plenty off.

shellac mostly comes from in the southeast asia, and India, but then russia ahs a long standing trade pact with india it wouldn't surprise me if it was shellac.....shellac is actually bug shit that dried on tree limbs, in flake form.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/sfcret/SVD%20furniture%20and%20pouch.jpg

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually Varnish is not that easy to find in my AO, the Home Depots etc don't carry it because of the liabilities(???wtf???) they said. I got mine at a local mom and pop hardware store.

Liability = sniffers.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is thinker for you (read hint).

If lacquer cannot be easily brushed on, and we all know liquids like that tend to settle before they dry, how do they get the coloring and brush strokes into the lacquer?

Brick
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 3:34:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Rot, who you trying to kid bro!

Brick

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
tantal needs to update that, the SVD furniture I got is stained.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
tantal needs to update that, the SVD furniture I got is stained.

The last time I checked a SVD was NOT an AK.

So why would Tantal need to update correct information about AKs?

Since this is an AK website what does the finish of an SVD stock have to do with anything?

I saw a Mosin one time too. Guess what? No varnish there either.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Well if you look in the background of one of my pics you will see an SVD butt that came from a Russian rifle in Poland.  It is most definately not stained.  I can't say why your set is not finished in the "traditional finish".  My guess would be it was an unfinished set that was finished off by someone for who intended to sell it, but thats just a guess.

Tantal's word use of "varnish" is probly more of a general term for the finished commonly seen on stock sets.  Will we ever know exactly what is used?  Who knows.  Best I can do is match it with what I have found looks best.

Brick
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The last time I checked a SVD was NOT an AK.

So why would Tantal need to update correct information about AKs?

Since this is an AK website what does the finish of an SVD stock have to do with anything?

I saw a Mosin one time too. Guess what? No varnish there either.

Mike

hello...SVDs, AKs, RPKs,  they are made at the same place...now why on earth would they do one finish different then the other?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the info - now play nice
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top