Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/15/2002 7:43:17 PM EDT
What is a miller receiver MAK90 worth? Did they also make a stamped receiver MAK90? Can I change out the pistol grip and stock to a 2 piece unit and still be legal?  Thanks for all help.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what they are worth, but

Most MAK90's are stamped, i beleive.

Yes, you can change out the thumbhole stock for a U.S. made 2 piece stock as long as you also swap out at least 3 other U.S. made parts for a total of 5 U.S. made parts. Say, a 'Red Star Arms' fire control group, which is 3 parts unto itself.

you can find these items at:

www.riflestocks.com
www.ironwooddesigns.com
and www.redstararms.com
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
A used Mak-90 with a milled receiver is probably worth somewhere between $350 - $400 if you can find someone to pay you that for it.  I'd pay $250 -$350.

-SS
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The Mak-90 comes in both milled and stamped.  Because the milled gun has no trunion, you need one less US part to be compliant and have a pistol grip.  

Milled AK/no muzzle device: 4 US parts
Milled AK/w/muzzle device: 5 US parts
Stamped AK/no muzzle device: 5 US parts
Stamped AK/w/muzzled device: 6 US parts

The list of parts that count is specific.  You can't just swap any foregin part with a domestic one.  

The milled Mak-90's are actually pretty well made guns.  I'd also set the going rate at $350-450.  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/17/2002 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine does not have any muzzle device , so I understand if I replace 4 parts I am OK? Can 3 of the parts be a US made stock (1),a US made pistol grip (2), and a US made forearm (3)? If yes , then the 4th part can be a US made muzzle device ? This sounds to easy , The rifle is sweet , shoots great  , Thanks for all help.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Three parts can be the furniture, but remember if you add a US muzzle brake (muzzle device) you've also added to the number of US parts required.  It would now be a milled gun with muzzle device and require 5 parts.  You're still going to need another part whether or not you use a US muzzle device.

There are gas pistons, fire control group (three parts), magazine floorplates, and magazine followers that are US made and count to the parts.  Remember that if you rely on a magazine part towards the parts count, you need to always use a US modified mag.  

MAK-90's have very good triggers, but the RSA trigger is the best I've ever used.  It's worth it to just pop an RSA trigger group in there for three parts.  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Just remember that you might have an angle cut receiver, which limits your choice of furniture suppliers. The angle cut wont let you use a stanbdard buttstock.

I have a ACE skeleton stock on mine; they make a specific receiver block for the angle cut.

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Gus , Thanks for all the help. One more question. Will a US made rear sight replacement scope mount (rail) count as one of the total needed? I am looking at the Ace brand scope rail.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The scope mount won't count. You have to work out your parts count with the fcg (potential 3 parts), stock set (potential 3 parts), gas piston (one part), or magazine followers and floorplates (potential 2 parts). Probably the easiest way to go without a muzzle device would be the U.S. stock set (3) and gas piston (1). The milled rifles are nice and heavy and IMHO don't have as much muzzle climb as the stamped version....a pin-on brake would probably be nothing more than cosmetic. Norinco's tend to have a decent trigger from the factory, so unless you really want an adjustable set, there's no need to go there unless you want a muzzle brake.(I really wouldn't recommend the followers and floorplates as they limit you to mags that have 'em but they are an option.)

All of the milled MAK receivers have the angle-cut like the one shown above. Standard milled sets won't fit because of the angle and odd round hole in the rear of milled MAK90 receivers.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top