User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Got the rest of the pieces together of my FEG HD-18. Planned on staying with the poly HG's, but the wood HG's I got with the buttstock were just too good to not use.

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:00:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GerryOwen] [#2]
I would have loved to picked one of these up… But like many, I can’t justify the price point when a $1000 AR-10 when give me similar results.

Unfortunately these weren’t priced for shooters, they were priced for collectors…
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GerryOwen:
I would have loved to picked one of these up  But like many, I can't justify the price point when a $1000 AR-10 when give me similar results.

Unfortunately these weren't priced for shooters, they were priced for collectors
View Quote

That is very true. However, I've been saying that since the early 90's, I decided it was finally time.

That being said, you are 100% correct in that there are cheaper more modern options that will do as good if not better, even if these are close to 50% off what was available.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:39:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Willisinnawoods] [#4]
Went to the range yesterday to rezero the PSO after working on the rifle and replacing the furniture. It only required 1 mil adjustment right on windage.

Using S&B 180 grain FMJ

109 yards

200 yards

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Went out hiking and thought this was a neat spot to snap a pic

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Willisinnawoods:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52803038936_71ea408a10_k.jpg
View Quote
That is literally how you get the whole platoon killed

You should be on either the left or right edge of the opening with a diagonal engagement zone, shooting from the 9 o'clock left edge of that structure crossways into the 1 - 2 o'clock killing zone, or on the right side 3 o'clock side of the opening shooting into diagonally into the 10 -11 o'clock killing zone, not have your whole body exposed to the frontal 12 o'clock, and all those hordes at 10-2 o'clock

Great photo though, makes me want to get out and get some air with the FEYG

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 3:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#8]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52803038936_71ea408a10_k.jpg
View Quote
Very nice

I noticed that the group size between 100 and 200 shrank a bit which is most likely statistically insignificant, but I've had more than one Russian DMR guy issued an SVD tell me that the round seems to stabilize at 200 yards +, and their best groupings (lowest average MOA) were usually at 300-500m, not 100m from the bench

Take it as an anecdotal reference, but I've also heard something similar with 5.45 and 7N6 once or twice. No one was claiming better MOA at longer ranges in the context of defending or justifying 100m accuracy or the SVD itself, it was more observational and something they noted over the years with lots of rounds down range

I don't do precision shooting as a habit, or long range myself so maybe this is a well known thing in precision shooting, but I always thought it was interesting that SVD guys seemed to notice this most

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Trying out the 'transitional' look with the polymer HG's, seeing if there's a difference in accuracy and performance. Seems like it helps a little bit. I do like the look of the wood HG's but there's also something neat about this look, and is arguably more utilitarian. I also bought one of the knock-off S-1 bipods from russiansurplus.net to try out, along with some new mags.

Was a beautiful day to shoot, absolutely no wind and 70 degrees. After listening to some rando on his way out tell me that it would shoot better if I bedded the furniture 😐, I got to work. Shooting the same 180 grain S&B FMJ @ 109 yards.

First group of the day from bags:

2nd group, bagged:

After those two I attached the knock-off S-1 Bipod to try it out

Group it shot with the bipod; I did not bag the back of the stock and just supported it with my support hand:

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
That is literally how you get the whole platoon killed

You should be on either the left or right edge of the opening with a diagonal engagement zone, shooting from the 9 o'clock left edge of that structure crossways into the 1 - 2 o'clock killing zone, or on the right side 3 o'clock side of the opening shooting into diagonally into the 10 -11 o'clock killing zone, not have your whole body exposed to the frontal 12 o'clock, and all those hordes at 10-2 o'clock

Great photo though, makes me want to get out and get some air with the FEYG

View Quote

I was just larping for the 'gram
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Got a little overcast last weekend.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks great.  Wish I had grabbed one of these while they were available.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]

I have nothing constructive to add but those photos are wonderful and the gun is super dope.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#14]
my next setting will be up in Colorado. I'll try and get some nice mountain pics while shooting. I'm not the photographer that willis is though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Supra_MK3:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Supra_MK3:

Originally Posted By Forlorn-Hope:

I have nothing constructive to add but those photos are wonderful and the gun is super dope.

Thanks, y'all

Originally Posted By nictra:
my next setting will be up in Colorado. I'll try and get some nice mountain pics while shooting. I'm not the photographer that willis is though.

That'll be pretty nice, I don't venture into Colorado much but every time I'm in the mountains of New Mexico it makes me wish I had a place out there to shoot at.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Saw that it was supposed to be nice again this weekend with temperatures rising from here on out, so I went back for some more.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:48:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By nictra:
View Quote
I'll try and lend ya a hand.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I have gotten my ass kicked at work for months now and have done literally nothing gunwise in what feels like forever, so I haven't done any testing at all

But here's a photo of the FEYG in the dirt, if that helps

(actually I was in fact testing the ejection pattern and distance suppressed vs unsuppressed, helping a buddy out comparing with his)

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Those of you that have changed out the FSB - Does everything line up straight and go on easy, or do you need a press to install and to ream the pin holes?
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Got the rest of the pieces together of my FEG HD-18. Planned on staying with the poly HG's, but the wood HG's I got with the buttstock were just too good to not use.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52794690083_d235fa9019_h.jpg
View Quote

Lawdy but that's a gorgeous rifle man, one day I hope to be able to afford one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:
Those of you that have changed out the FSB - Does everything line up straight and go on easy, or do you need a press to install and to ream the pin holes?
View Quote
I haven't done mine yet, but from looking at what is on there vs what the FSB looks like, it will need to be pressed on and new holes drilled for the pins.

I finally found a guy that can weld on the bayo lug for me, so that's step 1, then I'll have the FSB installed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Been a while since I've posted mine, but that's because I had it over at Sterling Arsenal getting some work done to it.

-Barrel shortened to 21.7" (SVDM length)
-Much better milspec FSB with bayonet lug pinned to barrel
-Replaced slotted sling mount with milspec sling mount
-Rifle refinished with Cerakote to match original hot blued finish

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Been a while since I've posted mine, but that's because I had it over at Sterling Arsenal getting some work done to it.

-Barrel shortened to 21.7" (SVDM length)
-Much better milspec FSB with bayonet lug pinned to barrel
-Replaced slotted sling mount with milspec sling mount
-Rifle refinished with Cerakote to match original hot blued finish

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53469059816_9634a1d6e9_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53469376999_8e02cbc1dd_h.jpg
View Quote

That's awesome, looks great!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TW52:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TW52:

Originally Posted By dryflash3:
She's a beauty, you got your moneys worth.

Thank y'all! I'm planning on taking it out this coming Saturday morning with some various ammo types to see how she shoots after all of the work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I would love to own one of these rifles. I sure as heck would not pay north of $3k for one though, not when you have better more practical options.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By themao:
I would love to own one of these rifles. I sure as heck would not pay north of $3k for one though, not when you have better more practical options.
View Quote
I've said this more times than I can remember, but price to performance is an irrelevant argument for the SVD, and implies that price is an indicator of quality or performance. Obviously it isn't, it's just the market being the market
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:00:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#28]
A few weeks ago we did a little shooting with my recently approved Huxworx Ti 7.62
It's super light, reasonably quiet to the shooter without ear pro (but not hearing safe), has a good tone and seemed to be very consistent on the FEYG

I've had really good performance out of the Larue, but it's hard to argue against how light the Ti 7.62 is. I'm very impressed (and thanks Rob Ski for the recommendation )

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#29]
A few weeks ago we did a little shooting with my recently approved Huxworx Ti 7.62
It's super light, reasonably quiet to the shooter without ear pro (but not hearing safe), has a good tone and seemed to be very consistent on the FEYG

I've had really good performance out of the Larue, but it's hard to argue against how light the Ti 7.62 is. I'm very impressed (and thanks Rob Ski for the recommendation )
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20240204_101954-3128698.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20240204_103657-3128699.jpg
View Quote
What's with the one without the front site block? @TX-Zen ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By saigamanTX:
What's with the one without the front site block? @TX-Zen ?
View Quote

That's the 5/8x24 threaded muzzle device that the FEG HD-18 comes with. I changed mine out for a milspec SVD FSB but some people (like TX Zen) are running theirs suppressed with the existing muzzle device.

I took my HD-18 and M77 out on a lovely 19 degree morning here in North Texas. I didn't really shoot the M77 for groups since I was mainly zeroing the Zrak optic I fitted to a RS Regulate mount to make it way more usable on the M77 and zeroing the TA33/RMR combo on my FM15 Gen 2 rifle. I also switched out the Type 3 dustcover that the HD-18 comes with for a Type 2 I found, but the Type 2 cover did require a lot of fitting.

The HD-18 did have a few short stroke malfunctions, but I'm wondering if that's due to the cold weather affecting powder burn rate or something. This is the first time I've taken it out in below-freezing weather since I had the barrel shortened.

Best group was still with the S&B 180 grain FMJ's. I really need to start reloading for this thing, I've got plenty of good brass at this point.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#31]

That's the 5/8x24 threaded muzzle device that the FEG HD-18 comes with. I changed mine out for a milspec SVD FSB but some people (like TX Zen) are running theirs suppressed with the existing muzzle device.

The HD-18 did have a few short stroke malfunctions, but I'm wondering if that's due to the cold weather affecting powder burn rate or something. This is the first time I've taken it out in below-freezing weather since I had the barrel shortened
View Quote
For the record, I agree with Rob Ski that the FEYG muzzle device is probably not a wise choice for long term suppressed shooting. It's not a piece of crap per se, but it doesn't seem to be overly well built either. Definitely seems like a temporary option because they thought most people would probably try to find a military FSB

@Willisinnawoods

Also, what do you mean you had the barrel shortened? I haven't been online much at all and maybe I missed a previous post of yours

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#32]
For the record, I agree with Rob Ski that the FEYG muzzle device is probably not a wise choice for long term suppressed shooting. It's not a piece of crap per se, but it doesn't seem to be overly well built either. Definitely seems like a temporary option because they thought most people would probably try to find a military FSB

@Willisinnawoods

Also, what do you mean you had the barrel shortened? I haven't been online much at all and maybe I missed a previous post of yours

View Quote

@TX-Zen

I sent mine off to Sterling Arsenal up in Virginia to have the barrel shortened to 21.7", change out the civilian style front sling mount for a milspec sling mount, match drill and pin a milspec SVD FSB with the bayonet lug still intact to the barrel, and lastly refinish most of the rifle in Cerakote to match the original finish (the original finish was wearing pretty fast on mine).
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#33]

@TX-Zen

I sent mine off to Sterling Arsenal up in Virginia to have the barrel shortened to 21.7", change out the civilian style front sling mount for a milspec sling mount, match drill and pin a milspec SVD FSB with the bayonet lug still intact to the barrel, and lastly refinish most of the rifle in Cerakote to match the original finish (the original finish was wearing pretty fast on mine).
View Quote
21.7". so more like the shorter SVDS barrel, but longer than the Tiger. Interesting. What made that decision for you?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#34]
21.7". so more like the shorter SVDS barrel, but longer than the Tiger. Interesting. What made that decision for you?
View Quote

Pretty much that; I wanted a shorter barrel but not so short like the Tigers. I wanted to actually use this rifle to go hunting, but the long 24" barrel of the original SVD barrel was not very fun to hunt with; unless maybe you're going to hunt from a static position. Although in the grand scheme of things the Tiger has a 20.8" barrel, so my HD-18 is just under an inch longer and has the old 1:12ish twist rate.

Maybe one of these days I'll try to get an NDM-86 to scratch the itch of having an original configuration SVD. It's just weird, there didn't seem to be many SVD's for sale when this batch of HD-18's came out, but then after I got mine all of these NDM's and Tigr's started popping up again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:00:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willisinnawoods] [#35]
Playing around with an RS Regulate 350MS mount intended for PSL rifles, since the PSL rifle uses the SVD's rail geometry I figured I'd give it a go. However, there are some relief cuts I'm having to make due to clearance issues and there's a couple more I've identified that need to be made. I've already made one .06" deep cut with a 1/2" bullnose end mill that helped a lot, but it's still dragging on the top portion of the rail.

You know, since RS Regulate just won't release the SVD mount they teased so long ago...

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:00:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willisinnawoods] [#36]
I finally got the RS 350MS to fit with the ribbed top cover but I had to mill off about ".065 or .070" of material at the top of the lower rail where all the threaded holes are, I was getting afraid that I might start cutting into the threads. I also had to add a chamfer on the top portion and cut some more relief into the the middle section with a .375" ball end mill but it fits with some clearance now.

Now to figure out what modern optic to throw on this thing, I was going to go with a higher power optic, but (hopefully) I've got an 8x42 POSP on the way. I may go with this spare Holosun and a FTS magnifier or something.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Pretty much that; I wanted a shorter barrel but not so short like the Tigers. I wanted to actually use this rifle to go hunting, but the long 24" barrel of the original SVD barrel was not very fun to hunt with; unless maybe you're going to hunt from a static position. Although in the grand scheme of things the Tiger has a 20.8" barrel, so my HD-18 is just under an inch longer and has the old 1:12ish twist rate.

Maybe one of these days I'll try to get an NDM-86 to scratch the itch of having an original configuration SVD. It's just weird, there didn't seem to be many SVD's for sale when this batch of HD-18's came out, but then after I got mine all of these NDM's and Tigr's started popping up again.
View Quote
I have hunted a lot with my suppressed Tiger, and while the barrel is obviously shorter, the 8-10" of suppressor and weight makes it quite the pig on foot, but I suppose I got used to it. What killed me was hunting from a mule, scanning with the thermal on the Tiger as my buddy drove with NV (and me wearing my 6.8 pound ballistic helmet + bino setup). I don't think my neck will ever forgive me, but damn if it ain't strong as hell now

Eventually I got smart and removed the windshield of the mule, and added a nifty cross bar to rest the Tiger on, but I still spent a fair amount of time on foot after that

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I finally got the RS 350MS to fit with the ribbed top cover but I had to mill off about ".065 or .070" of material at the top of the lower rail where all the threaded holes are, I was getting afraid that I might start cutting into the threads. I also had to add a chamfer on the top portion and cut some more relief into the the middle section with a .375" ball end mill but it fits with some clearance now.

Now to figure out what modern optic to throw on this thing, I was going to go with a higher power optic, but (hopefully) I've got an 8x42 POSP on the way. I may go with this spare Holosun and a FTS magnifier or something.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53551861304_93d168299b_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53550660767_eaf460b8f9_b.jpg
View Quote
That came out pretty nice

The venerable TA31 ACOG is still my optic of choice for the SVD, but I am also a big fan of the Eotech + magnifier as a hunting combo
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#39]
Come to think of it, the Ti 7.62 is shorter overall on the FEYG with the full length barrel than the Tiger with Larue is, and definitely lighter

I might need to move the Ti over to the Tiger since it's my go to deer rifle, and I still use it for hogs (but not as often as my beater AK105)
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Come to think of it, the Ti 7.62 is shorter overall on the FEYG with the full length barrel than the Tiger with Larue is, and definitely lighter

I might need to move the Ti over to the Tiger since it's my go to deer rifle, and I still use it for hogs (but not as often as my beater AK105)
View Quote

It'd be interesting to see how the differences in weight and length come into play with the longer HD-18. Personally I'd love the lighter and shorter can on the Tigr since I'd be using that one to hunt with lol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willisinnawoods] [#41]
Did get an 8x42 POSP in the mail from The Red Colonel. Unexpectedly fast shipping, I guess I'll get to zero it and play with it this weekend.

ETA: Wow, Belorussia finally updated their battery standards to the rest of the world. It takes a single CR 123A battery instead of the old AG13/ LR44 button cells.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top