BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
So, my remaining two packages are supposedly stuck on a ship trying to get to the US but is not being allowed to dock, so who knows when I'll get the remaining parts. This has also halted getting any new kits since Gregory is on lockdown in Russia, which sucks because I was going to pick up a complete kit for another build and comparison to this kit.

In the meantime, however, I was thinking about the issue of the handguard retaining pin spring bending under normal use. I started measuring the factory pin to possibly turn something up on the lathe when I found that the pin is 7mm in diameter. For some reason, I remembered that a G3 large push pin is also 7mm in diameter. So I went to the box of H&K spares, found a large pin, and wouldn't you know it; it's a perfect fit in diameter and in useable length for the AK-12. I feel as though this is a better retention method than what the AK-12 comes with, and will use it from here on in order to save the original spring from breaking on this particular kit. I've also ordered a KNS ball bearing push pin to test as another option.  Just something to keep in mind if any of you are planning an AK-12 build and run into the same issue.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
So, my remaining two packages are supposedly stuck on a ship trying to get to the US but is not being allowed to dock, so who knows when I'll get the remaining parts. This has also halted getting any new kits since Gregory is on lockdown in Russia, which sucks because I was going to pick up a complete kit for another build and comparison to this kit.

In the meantime, however, I was thinking about the issue of the handguard retaining pin spring bending under normal use. I started measuring the factory pin to possibly turn something up on the lathe when I found that the pin is 7mm in diameter. For some reason, I remembered that a G3 large push pin is also 7mm in diameter. So I went to the box of H&K spares, found a large pin, and wouldn't you know it; it's a perfect fit in diameter and in useable length for the AK-12. I feel as though this is a better retention method than what the AK-12 comes with, and will use it from here on in order to save the original spring from breaking on this particular kit. I've also ordered a KNS ball bearing push pin to test as another option.  Just something to keep in mind if any of you are planning an AK-12 build and run into the same issue.

https://i.imgur.com/dHiv9Hal.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9SbbYmol.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/stz7daYl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/N5bx1Orl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tH9T1nZl.jpg
View Quote
isn't it nice when shit just comes together?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]

I can get blanks no problem. Green Mountain has quite a few ready to go 5.45 blanks and can make different blanks based on your needs. I tried to get some hammer-forged blanks but they wanted a minimum order of 200 pieces which is outside the scope of my interest unless I had a CNC lathe. There's someone working on AK-12 specific barrels but they have other runs of different barrels to fulfill first before they'll start it. With those, they will only come in the white or nitrided. My ultimate goal with my build is to get a chrome-lined hammer-forged blank purely for the "correctness" of the build.
View Quote

Have you heard anything else about the AK-12 barrels?  I'd prefer to get a finished one rather than buy a blank and send it out for work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Supra_MK3:

Have you heard anything else about the AK-12 barrels?  I'd prefer to get a finished one rather than buy a blank and send it out for work.
View Quote

Not yet. We're still trying to figure out if they're going to get chrome lined or nitride. Also, making sure the dimensions are as correct as we can get since the first few test barrels were incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Neat!

You used to have capture the enemies newer weapons in the field, through secret cloak and dagger shit or get them from a defector. Now anyone can just order one (or most of one) through the mail
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mauritius:
You used to have capture the enemies newer weapons in the field, through secret cloak and dagger shit or get them from a defector. Now anyone can just order one (or most of one) through the mail
View Quote

That means capitalism won.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 6:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#8]
Forgot ARFCOM doesn't have a picture post limit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 7:38:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#9]
I'm already planning modifications to "fix" some things that I don't care for with the system. So stay tuned.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for sharing all of this. I would love to build one in the future so I have been enjoying seeing everything needed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome. Thanks for the update
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
For those who may have been waiting, Childers just released AK-12 specific receivers. I'm sad that they're only available in 100% receivers instead of blanks, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully, this will cause Recreator to hurry up because I would rather have one with the attention to detail for correctness that Recreator offers as opposed to Childers. It would also be nice to get one in 80% fashion before the elections.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm wondering if the Recreator ones will be "better", or when they will release them.  Seems like an odd delay to market when the receivers aren't that much different than what they sell now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 1:50:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#14]
I'm wondering if the Recreator ones will be "better", or when they will release them.  Seems like an odd delay to market when the receivers aren't that much different than what they sell now.
View Quote

From seeing the sample pictures from both, the Recreator looks more correct. Recreator's AK-12 receivers required a whole new stamping die in order to achieve the level of correctness they wanted, while Childers just used their existing AK-74 blank. The Childers will work fine, but I would suggest waiting for Recreator if you have one of the premium AK-12 kits with the original trunnion and BCG, personally.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Very cool, I did not know that.  I'll wait and see what they come out with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Very cool, I did not know that.  I'll wait and see what they come out with.
View Quote

I plan on picking up a premium kit soon, so I'll use a Recreator for that. For this standard kit I'm planning on doing something very different so the receiver not being totally "correct" doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Updates at the bottom of the OP. Received my Childers AK-12 specific receiver. Finally ready to build.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
The Childers receiver looks pretty nice!
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Are you doing the build or having someone else?    Looking forward to seeing it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ViperEH:
Are you doing the build or having someone else?    Looking forward to seeing it.
View Quote

I’ll be doing the build.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome build. What a time to be alive!
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I am pumped to see this build...
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Not gonna lie I'm pretty jelly
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Excellent thread.  Did you go with US or Polish stamping on the receiver?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Stizout:
Excellent thread.  Did you go with US or Polish stamping on the receiver?
View Quote

US. Their Polish '74 selector embossing are only correct for Tantal/Beryl builds. It would drive me insane.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#26]

US. Their Polish '74 selector embossing are only correct for Tantal/Beryl builds. It would drive me insane.
View Quote

Thank you for the help.  It is a shame that Recreator has not capitalized on getting his AK-12 receivers going.  

I was waiting for him to get this out the past few months, and messaged him about them after he showed his markings in April (which are more correct).  I just got tired of waiting and ordered a Childer's today.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:58:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Park-Hit-Run] [#27]
Originally Posted By Stizout:

Thank you for the help.  It is a shame that Recreator has not capitalized on getting his AK-12 receivers going.  

I was waiting for him to get this out the past few months, and messaged him about them after he showed his markings in April (which are more correct).  I just got tired of waiting and ordered a Childer's today.  

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/94152497_2643279985949448_5185059251885703168_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=gTmMnZDD3lIAX-E3s4d&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=ddddcee3b2aafdc1a526fa3c8f85c852&oe=5F5DDBBD
View Quote

Was going to ask if you would mind telling us which options to fill out for the Childers. Markings seem straight forward but the other options like double trigger humps, reinforcement plate etc I’m not so clear on. Figured might as well get the order in early. And make sure I can get it before dropping $2k on a parts kit. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

ETA- Also wondering what rivet set I would need or if any of the rivets are oddballs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 7:28:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MAC21500] [#28]
AK-12's been re accessorized slightly, new stock, pistol grip and trigger guard; time to start hunting the new furniture down

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#29]
Originally Posted By MAC21500:
AK-12's been re accessorized slightly, new stock, pistol grip and trigger guard; time to start hunting the new furniture down

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559464666884079616/747955784637480970/image0.jpg
View Quote

Yep. I've been working on trying to get that stock when I first saw it (they even have a new rear sight). But it seems like you have to be an Instagram influencer in order to get the people with the right connections to even talk to you about them at this point. AK-12 mags are starting to get cheaper, at least.

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:15:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#30]
Originally Posted By Park-Hit-Run:

Was going to ask if you would mind telling us which options to fill out for the Childers. Markings seem straight forward but the other options like double trigger humps, reinforcement plate etc I’m not so clear on. Figured might as well get the order in early. And make sure I can get it before dropping $2k on a parts kit. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

ETA- Also wondering what rivet set I would need or if any of the rivets are oddballs.
View Quote

I know what you mean. Someone should post some type of photo essay detailing the specifics...

I kid, I kid (kinda). A standard AKS-74 rivet set will suffice:

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#31]

I know what you mean. Someone should post some type of photo essay detailing the specifics...

I kid, I kid (kinda). A standard AKS-74 rivet set will suffice:

https://i.imgur.com/TChl89Pl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qUlMsF8l.jpg
View Quote

My man!  I guess I was just drooling over all those cool pictures too hard to see the trees in the forest. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#32]
The new accessories are pretty neat and look nice, but the new rear sight looks pretty meh.  It doesn't look like the Type 2 stock has a cheek riser option.  Maybe that is why the Type 1 cheek riser add on is impossible to find?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Yep. I've been working on trying to get that stock when I first saw it (they even have a new rear sight). But it seems like you have to be an Instagram influencer in order to get the people with the right connections to even talk to you about them at this point. AK-12 mags are starting to get cheaper, at least.

https://i.imgur.com/0qdMQOA.png
View Quote

What’s different about the AK12 mags? Are they mostly just cosmetic changes?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mah827:

What’s different about the AK12 mags? Are they mostly just cosmetic changes?
View Quote

The functional changes is round counter in the window, a pin that pushes out at the bottom to tell you there is rounds in the magazine, glow in the dark follower hash marks to assist in round counts for low light, and the floor plate is angled to assist when shooting the prone. The magazine is also reinforced more for increased durability.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Sent an email to rusweapons a few weeks back trying to proceed with a purchase of the full parts kit with uncut front trunion. No response and website has since gone dark. Did something change or did the website move?  Almost seems like someone has put the whole thing to an end. There’s a parts kit with cut trunion on gunbroker right now. Sure wish I had known about this months ago and got a kit. But sure glad I didn’t throw $2000 into a black hole.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878814540
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Sent an email to rusweapons a few weeks back trying to proceed with a purchase of the full parts kit with uncut front trunion. No response and website has since gone dark. Did something change or did the website move?  Almost seems like someone has put the whole thing to an end. There’s a parts kit with cut trunion on gunbroker right now. Sure wish I had known about this months ago and got a kit. But sure glad I didn’t throw $2000 into a black hole.

View Quote

Rumor has it Gregory was arrested, packages being seized and website shut down by Rusisan government.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

From what I've been told, they were all shut down (RusWeapons, RusStock, RussianGunMaster, etc). I know Gregory, the owner of RusWeapons, in talks with his lawyer currently about his options. There's talks that the Russian gov is going to implement stricter firearm laws, to include no more selling of deactivated guns to citizens. So we very well may see a permanent drought on Russian parts far worse than what we currently have.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#38]
That really sucks.

I guess the Russian .gov wasn't happy that Americans were flexing on the gram with AK-12 parts builds when 99% of their military doesn't have one yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:04:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Well there’s one more dream denied.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm people damn jealous of you,  I just hot the funds to buy a kit when the sight went own. Keep everyone posted on this beauty and take pictures and videos. It's a shame what happened to rusweapons. Wish Gregory well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 4:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#41]
I wanted to get a AK103 parts kit from him. <snip> Go back to GD with that stuff. dryflash3
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:34:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Didn't get all my parts before Gregory was snatched up..

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Custom-X_Sponjah:
Didn't get all my parts before Gregory was snatched up..

View Quote

I responded to your Insta, but essentially you're missing enough proprietary parts that getting it to work would be a significant challenge/expense. I'm working on machining a new style receiver cover junction block/integrated gas tube, but it would attach the receiver cover differently. The proprietary recoil spring guide doesn't appear to be very difficult to machine, but I haven't looked deeply into it. Essentially, there aren't any off the shelf parts you can use to replace those missing parts and still be able to utilize the AK-12 system.

You can use many of the parts to build a custom AKS-74 that kinda looks like an AK-12 and sell the remaining parts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 5:17:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: far_north_311] [#44]
Rus guns master is still up, wasn't selling trunnions or bolts. IDK if he has AK-12 parts. And it's always a risk to order parts from overseas.

ETA: He does not have AK-12 parts anymore.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Did anyone else get a message to return their AK-12 barrel for rework?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Me too. He seems like a stand up guy, a lot of people wouldn't take responsibility for it. Got a bad reemer from Brownells. He is handling the situation very well in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Seems like this is the official AK-12 thread, so I hope you don't mind.

Got my AK-12 sling I ordered back in April.  The QD cup in the stock is a specific size and won't work with any of the US style ones I have.  I also grabbed an AK-12 user manual a few months ago.  I can't read any of it but the pictures are fun.

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Supra_MK3: Thank you for posting this. Quick Questions: Is that a quick detach lever on the front sling swivel? Any chance you could take a picture of it from the side?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#50]
Seems like this is the official AK-12 thread, so I hope you don't mind.

Got my AK-12 sling I ordered back in April.  The QD cup in the stock is a specific size and won't work with any of the US style ones I have.  I also grabbed an AK-12 user manual a few months ago.  I can't read any of it but the pictures are fun.

https://i.imgur.com/ifs4BDL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pASo11y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ChrdQvC.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, post them up, man. I too was going to buy one of those slings from the dude on the files but when he said he wanted payment up front and will ship "whenever" he could it left me uneasy.

I'm going to try and modify a US qd mech on the lathe and see if it'll work.
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top