Link Posted: 11/27/2007 10:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LtDirector] [#1]

Originally Posted By MitchTheWitch:

Originally Posted By ch139:

Originally Posted By micah360:

Originally Posted By LtDirector:

Aged some more parts and tried them out.

i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/feldmarschel/ak74age.jpg
i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/feldmarschel/outsideageak74.jpg

Fake wear?  Oh, whoops.  I see my question's already answered.  Didn't read the first line.

FYI it's very noticeable.  

What's noticeable?

I like how it looks.  How'd you do it?  Heavy steel wool?

+1 Looks great. How did you do it?

What I meant by it's noticeable is that it definitely looks like fake aging.  You concentrated too much on the large flat easy areas.  Those don't usually get scuffed so evenly across their large surfaces.  large flat surfaces usually get scratches.

Just an observation.  

I didn't age the gun, I aged the 74 break and the vented rib, the rest was on the kit.

This is the gun prior to switching out the stock set.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's the cat's ass. If I wasn't such an OCD Nancy, I'd have a beater too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#3]
You are saying the kit came "well worn" and all you artificially aged was the rib and the brake?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep they DO come pretty "pre"-aged

MD 63
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:22:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MitchTheWitch] [#5]

Originally Posted By Marco:
Yep they DO come pretty "pre"-aged

MD 63

Thanks but I want to hear from Lt before I tell you why you are wrong.  No offense
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it looks pretty accurate - after all, wear is wear.  I can show you photos I took of lots of AK's in Iraq ranging from practically new from factory to medium wear on the high points of the rifle to darn near in the white all over.  Goodness knows how they actually get so worn in the weird ways it shows up on rifles but it does.  I think how much "wear" is accurate and the form it takes can be pretty subjective.  That would probably be a fun thread starter - photos of the most beat-up AK you've seen.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:47:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LtDirector] [#7]

You are saying the kit came "well worn" and all you artificially aged was the rib and the brake?

Yep. Minus the gas tube and rib (it's welded together) I haven't touched anything else on it. I did replace the stock however.

edit: I'm not even sure what flat areas you're refering to. Unless you're talking about the shine under the rear sight? That's a lighting issue, as you can see by the other picture I took it's not actually there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:56:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LtDirector] [#8]

Originally Posted By Rayman1:
I think it looks pretty accurate - after all, wear is wear.  I can show you photos I took of lots of AK's in Iraq ranging from practically new from factory to medium wear on the high points of the rifle to darn near in the white all over.  Goodness knows how they actually get so worn in the weird ways it shows up on rifles but it does.  I think how much "wear" is accurate and the form it takes can be pretty subjective.  That would probably be a fun thread starter - photos of the most beat-up AK you've seen.  

Mine started life in slightly better shape, at least in the receiver. But after leaving it in a truck for long periods of time, falling off of stuff, etc the finish broke away on the areas with constant contact on the receiver and there was surface rust. So I wiped all the rust away, and it really hasn't come back at all ever since, and thus it's remained. But the "kit part" is exactly how it came when I bought everything.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:03:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rayman1] [#9]
Now all you need to do is give it that last touch-up for authenticity - smash the handguards up with a hammer then wrap them about fifity times with whatever tape you have.  Then add an old "Mork and Mindy" sticker on the buttstock.

(Yeah, I really found a Bulgarian AK with that but unfortunately didn't have a camera handy!   )  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I'm talking about stuff like the receiver and the rivets- are you telling me those are THAT old that they are THAT worn?  This isn't a recent build?  I can't see any rifle made in the last 15 years being that worn.  Look at all of the Norincos and MAKs around- they are all BLACK.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Rayman1:
Now all you need to do is give it that last touch-up for authenticity - smash the handguards up with a hammer then wrap them about fifity times with whatever tape you have.  Then add an old "Mork and Mindy" sticker on the buttstock.

(Yeah, I really found a Bulgarian AK with that but unfortunately didn't have a camera handy!   )  

hahaha... here's some taping action, alas not on the hand gaurds.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:28:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mak] [#12]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Lt.

Thanks for giving me an actual reason for electrical tape
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:43:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Just a quick snap I took at the range this past saturday.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:14:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LtDirector] [#15]

Yeah, I'm talking about stuff like the receiver and the rivets- are you telling me those are THAT old that they are THAT worn?  This isn't a recent build?  I can't see any rifle made in the last 15 years being that worn.  Look at all of the Norincos and MAKs around- they are all BLACK.

You're right. I'm plotting against you.

But on a serious note, you're incorrect. I have other AKs that look that way. It's all a matter of how you coat the receiver. This one clearly wasn't that good
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Great book! Mines right next to me!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Loving the worn look fellas!!!
There's definately something about a worn out AK.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MitchTheWitch] [#18]

Originally Posted By Mak:

What, you don't think LtDirector's rifle is a recent build?  If you don't, then you aren't looking at the receiver.  It looks to say AUSA (Armory USA) if I'm not mistaken.  If you don't use a quality finish or at least park and well coat with a rust preventive and leave a rifle in the back of a truck or behind the seat in Ohio for a long period your receiver will look like that, even a Chinese rifle.

No, I thought it WAS a recent build.  That's why I was really wondering if he was trying to tell me the wear on the receiver was not really fake.

I really thought it was artificial wear.  It's too black and silver and nothing else to be real- it looks very recently coated and very recently artificially worn.

I like the look.  It looks nice but it's noticeable that it's not an old rifle as it's meant to look.  It just doesn't look right.  I'm not trying to knock it or lay judgement on anyone- just saying that I knew it was artificially worn the moment i saw it.  

I'm surprised it isn't rusting yet.  

ETA:  The two on this page do look naturally worn.  The one on the previous page- not so much.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LtDirector] [#19]

Originally Posted By Mak:

What, you don't think LtDirector's rifle is a recent build?  If you don't, then you aren't looking at the receiver.  It looks to say AUSA (Armory USA) if I'm not mistaken.  If you don't use a quality finish or at least park and well coat with a rust preventive and leave a rifle in the back of a truck or behind the seat in Ohio for a long period your receiver will look like that, even a Chinese rifle.

No, I thought it WAS a recent build.  That's why I was really wondering if he was trying to tell me the wear on the receiver was not really fake.

I really thought it was artificial wear.  It's too black and silver and nothing else to be real- it looks very recently coated and very recently artificially worn.

I like the look.  It looks nice but it's noticeable that it's not an old rifle as it's meant to look.  It just doesn't look right.  I'm not trying to knock it or lay judgement on anyone- just saying that I knew it was artificially worn the moment i saw it.  

I'm surprised it isn't rusting yet.  

ETA:  The two on this page do look naturally worn.  The one on the previous page- not so much.  

It is not artificially worn. What are you talking about? Have you not read the posts in this thread? Leave your rifle outside for about a year.

edit: I really don't know what you're talking about now. All the pictures I've posted are the SAME RIFLE
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:08:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MitchTheWitch] [#20]
I see a dark wood stock with a 74ish brake

A german/polish sidefolding wire stock with a slant brake and pg front handguard

and i also see a barrel nut/lighter wood stock/no pg handguard

sorry if i assumed it was three rifles.  is it all the same one?

That's taking dress-up to the extreme.

ETA:  So if it is ALL the same rifle I'm sorry to have thought they were different.  I have never seen someone go through that many different styles with one AK.  With an AR yes but not an AK.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#21]

I see a dark wood stock with a 74ish brake

A german/polish sidefolding wire stock with a slant brake and pg front handguard

and i also see a barrel nut/lighter wood stock/no pg handguard

sorry if i assumed it was three rifles.  is it all the same one?

That's taking dress-up to the extreme.

ETA:  So if it is ALL the same rifle I'm sorry to have thought they were different.  I have never seen someone go through that many different styles with one AK.  With an AR yes but not an AK.

Yes, they're all the same rifles. That's why I can't figure out what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#22]
You do understand my confusion then?  I was initially only talking about the one picture on the previous page.

The pictures on this page confused me.

I still don't understand how someone changes everything but the receiver and barrel on their AK as much as you do but it's your rifle.

You could probably build at least two more rifles easily now, why don't you??

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]

You do understand my confusion then?  I was initially only talking about the one picture on the previous page.

I still don't understand how someone changes everything but the receiver and barrel on their AK as much as you do but it's your rifle.

I have 42 AKs. This is my favorite of all of them, because it rode around in a truck forever and now looks the way it does. And I've only changed the break and folding stock. The other wood I refinished.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Ah...

So how has it evolved?  The same order the photos show?

I would guess the first pic came first because it's cleanest and dirt/rust free.

But it's got what is probably refinished wood?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Ah...

So how has it evolved?  The same order the photos show?

I would guess the first pic came first because it's cleanest and dirt/rust free.

But it's got what is probably refinished wood?

The reason the picture with the 74 break looks "different" may be because I wiped all the rust off. And I refinised the wood in that pic.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:32:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hegalex] [#26]

I have 42 AKs. This is my favorite of all of them, because it rode around in a truck forever and now looks the way it does. And I've only changed the break and folding stock. The other wood I refinished.
Got a group pic?

Edit: All your page 8 are belong to me! Of course now I'll have to put a pic up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:12:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LtDirector] [#27]
edit: photobucket issues
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bachelor_of_Science] [#28]

Top:  Arsenal Inc. SA M-7 "Classic" w/ Russian Furniture

Middle:  Polish PMKM w/"Sniper" Flash Suppressor

Bottom:  Arsenal Inc. SLR-105A1 w/Russian Furniture

Top: InRange Hungarian AKM

Bottom: Romy "G"

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Bachelor_of_Science:
I want to play too!  Pictures tomorrow.

please do. Your line up looks a lot like my wish-list.

The AK Reference Forum doesn't get any traffic to speak of (just over 1% of this boards traffic).

I remember when AR15.com had a much larger AK knowledge base - but that was before the AKForum guys came online.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's my newest "Tacticool" AK. It's not pretty though.

Yugo on a DCI. AK Concepts break, Aimpoint, Ultimak M-9 gas tube railmount, buttpad, ergo grip (cut to fit my hand perfectly) and blackhawk single point sling.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#31]

How did you get the wood that color? Looks great.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By Centuryhouse:

How did you get the wood that color? Looks great.

I can't stain well, so I dipped it in a bucket of stain and left it there over night haha
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Picked up the AMD-65 this afternoon, so I lined up a group pic...

Century Yugo
SAR1
Bulgy '74
AKM-63
AMD-65
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By kwb377:
Picked up the AMD-65 this afternoon, so I lined up a group pic...

Century Yugo
SAR1
Bulgy '74
AKM-63
AMD-65
www.pbase.com/kwb377/image/89672875.jpg

Very, very nice. I love the 65, how does the 30 rounder work? I always end up with the mag stuck in my AMD
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:46:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#36]
I have to rock it forward just enough, then pull straight down...still winds up bumping the forward grip most of the time.  

Now if only Alabama was an SBR state, I could make it a proper AMD. MG's are OK here, but not SBR's? WTH?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:11:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShiningPath] [#37]
1 more set.....(the grenades are from "Dollar Tree"@ 1.00/ea )

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Man there are some beautiful rifles here..
I dont post much but i have to show off mine too..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Impreza3/S4021448.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Impreza3/S4021421.jpg

i took it hunting.. thought it looked cool in this pic..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Impreza3/S4021849.jpg
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: --bullseye--] [#39]

Originally Posted By verticalization:
Man there are some beautiful rifles here..
I dont post much but i have to show off mine too..

img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Impreza3/S4021448.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Impreza3/S4021421.jpg

i took it hunting.. thought it looked cool in this pic..
img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Impreza3/S4021849.jpg

Great looking Chicom you got there. I'm jelous.

ETA: That is Chinese, right? Looks like it to me anyway, with the fully covered front sight.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm not sure if it's the light, but that looks a little aged to me. Looks great by the way. As Bullseye pointed out, what is it? Very Nice!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#41]

Originally Posted By verticalization:

Beautiful rifle...I love the bluing and wood on the Chinese guns (wish I hadn't sold my MAK90).
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#42]
You guys and all your rifles make me realize how far I have to go!  

Anyways...here's a few more pics.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Wait! Let me in!!!

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLOCK-23] [#44]
Arsenal Bulgaria

Yugo

Arsenal SA M-7

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:04:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: micah360] [#45]

Originally Posted By chavezding:

nice lighting man!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:33:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: driftingfate] [#47]

I don't care if it's a "proper" worn look or not, that is just on sweet rifle, very steampunk for some reason.

I cruised over here to get an idea about what I want in an AK, and after seeing that, I know what I'm going to do.  Where did you get the perforated metal hand guard?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Can we get this thing tacked yet?  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:12:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Neutrino45] [#49]
Here are some rifles I used to have.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:43:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hegalex] [#50]

Originally Posted By Neutrino45:
Here are some rifles I used to have.

What is that, and where do I get one?
Page / 125
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top