Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 5:21:04 PM EDT
I would like to know why my AK-47 barrels are so hard to clean.  I can never get them spotless they always have buildup in the rifling.  Why is this?  My other rifle are 5.56, 22-250, and 12Ga's and I can get all of their bores spotless with no problem. None of these are even crome lined and they clean up much easier than the cromelined AK's.  I thought that crome lined barrels were suposed to be easier to clean than SS chrome-molly Ect?
Please help me out here its starting to drive me mad plus I've got the shits of buying new 30cal brushes every cleaning or two!

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Off the cuff, what model AK do you have, and are you sure you are getting tight patch fits so you are not dependant on brushes? Roughly how many rounds total thru the gun (not between cleanings but all-time)?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:51:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok I have a WASR-10 and an Sar-1.  

I use 30cal patches at first and then 12Ga patches(pulling through not pushing the 12Ga's) when I can't get any more gook out with the 30's.  I also use hoppies semi-auto solvent whitch is a copper/lead remover since the reg hoppies didn't cut it, and there's  still crap in my barrle.

The WASR has around 1000 give or take and the SAR-1 I got used(and also is the most difficult to clean) so I'd say from the condition that it was in when I got it 1000 tops.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you using a bronze .30 cal brush?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I use a bronze with the regular solvent and when I use the Copper/lead solvent I use a plastic brush.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Is your clean test based on what the bbl looks like or what comes out on the patches?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I can get the patches coming out clean but the bore still has residue in the rifling.   Everything else is clean except the in the grooves of the rifling.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about it, mine are ths same.  You will hurt it more screwing with it.  Live with it, it hurts nothing.

P.S.  You don't need to use copper solvent very often.  Mabey every 5 thousand round.

If you are using more than 10 patches, you are using too many.

3-5 passes with a bronze brush and 5-10 passes with a patch should more than suffice.

Anything more is wasted effort and unecessary wear and tear on the weapon.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I have found that using .30 cal. (.308) brushes does not always work. I use 8mm brushes, they seam to clean better even if they need to be pushed a little harder.  Just don't use a steel brush when doing this.

I always run the brush 20X in 1 direction, then use patchs.  If still dirty, repeat again until clean.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#9]
TWENTY TIMES???  I think that is a mite excessive.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Its the way I was trained. Some things just stick with you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Obershutze,  are you saying with the 8mm brush and doing as you stated you get your bores spotless?  What solvent do you use?

Heavy metal, I will most likely take your advise seeing as how I only have Romy's at the present time but I would wan't to get them spotless if I were to sell one or get one worth a little more $.  Thanks to both for your efforts.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top