Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 1:42:56 PM EDT
I know on the rear the lenth does not matter.  I would assume that longer is better.  The question is how long could the front drive screws be before conflicing with the barrel or something else i am not thinking of?  I am wondering about the length for he front with and without the orig rivets removed.  
Thanks a ton
jimmy
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the 3/8" is almost pushing it; I've been using the 1/4" ones myself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read 1/4" on the "how tos".  I took a rough measurement to double check and I don't think more than a 1/4" will fit the front trunion with or without rivet..  I measured a Polish UF...

John P..
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
1/4" at he front worked for me. Make sure to clean the holes and use a threadlocker of some sort.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know on the rear the lenth does not matter.  I would assume that longer is better.  The question is how long could the front drive screws be before conflicing with the barrel or something else i am not thinking of?  I am wondering about the length for he front with and without the orig rivets removed.  
Thanks a ton
jimmy

3/8 will take you into Barell metal,  BTDT.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#5]
if that is the case i see a problem.  I have completely removed all rivets and removed the barrel.  I do not exactly like doing rivits so i plan on using u-drive.  that means i need to use number 10 to fit the drilled out holes.  Seems to me that the shortest #10s are 3/8.  That is from McMaster-carr.  Seems liek i may have a problem....   BTW how far into the barrel metal?  I little does not bother me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if that is the case i see a problem.  I have completely removed all rivets and removed the barrel.  I do not exactly like doing rivits so i plan on using u-drive.  that means i need to use number 10 to fit the drilled out holes.  Seems to me that the shortest #10s are 3/8.  That is from McMaster-carr.  Seems liek i may have a problem....   BTW how far into the barrel metal?  I little does not bother me.

You could grind the screws down to what you need if they are too long.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You might try www.fastenal.com I got some 1/4" long u-drives from them locally. Shipping was pretty quick too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You might try www.fastenal.com I got some 1/4" long u-drives from them locally. Shipping was pretty quick too.

Yep, ordered some when I was going to do my Udrive build, then decided to go rivet when I had problems pressing in the UDRIVE.  The helical "teeth" on the Udrive stripped out against the trunion and I got no bite.  Ended up riveting bucking against the barell.  Second one done this way so far so good although only have about 200 rounds each thru.  Not a very good gage on longevity by far.

Barrell metals comes after approx .125 (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Glenn
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top