Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 9:21:44 PM EDT
A video on MI's GTB....gas tube brush...
SASS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IkAbBF8_mA
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:27:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 5:27:52 AM EDT by AR-10Operator]
Your video is not working for me but that's probably my computer and not your link.
Anyway, you do know that it's not neccessary to clean the gas tube on an AR and your not supposed to stick anything inside your gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:46:57 AM EDT
The sooner people realize that the gas tube doesn't need cleaning and that sticking shit in there only creates the potential for problems, the better off we'll all be.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:27:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 11:28:10 PM EDT by SASS]
Not to argue.....but
It's funny, the manual says, if you have to clean it, use a pipe cleaner.......I prefer the brush...and given the design of it....you can't really push stuff back to the Gas Block...it's a tapered design...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:03:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SASS:
It's funny, the manual says, if you have to clean it, use a pipe cleaner.......

If you have an ArmaLite rifle as you claim then your manual does not say the above statement anywhere. The ArmaLite manual says, " CAUTION: Do not try to clean the inside of the gas tube."

It's your rifle, do what ya want but don't come crying here when things go bad because you messed with the inside of the gas tube when it's a well known fact that you should leave it alone.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:28:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 11:08:12 AM EDT by SASS]
Yes i have two of them with a AR-50 on loan....and I did not say the ArmaLite Owner's manual....I have read in cleaning manuals that IF you need to clean the GT...use a pipe cleaner...I run it through once or twice and then use compressed air to make sure it is clear....I like my weapons it tip top order....SASS
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:16:41 AM EDT
Just one more thing while I am at it.....is that like in the other thread that one does not need to clean the bottom of the BCG.....because it is self cleaning........just curious...
I had a SGT that thought me to have clean weapon...granted that was decades ago...but I still live by that rule.....A clean weapon will save your ass when you need it...and it was just a suggestion....I went through this on another forum once...and they said the same thing...then a few months later someone asked about cleaning the GT and they said they use Pipe cleaners when they had too....you tell me you don't ever clean it.....HHHHMMMMM I mean no offense...but it is a rule of thumb...if it gets dirty it will need cleaning eventually ......
The video is merely a suggestion over the Pipe cleaner method...and I am sure MI would not put something out there that wasn't necessary to own if needed....I know them..
Thank you for your input though...
SASS....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 3:23:16 PM EDT by Captains1911]
Just one more thing while I am at it.....is that like in the other thread that one does not need to clean the bottom of the BCG.....because it is self cleaning........just curious...
I had a SGT that thought me to have clean weapon...granted that was decades ago...but I still live by that rule.....A clean weapon will save your ass when you need it...and it was just a suggestion....I went through this on another forum once...and they said the same thing...then a few months later someone asked about cleaning the GT and they said they use Pipe cleaners when they had too....you tell me you don't ever clean it.....HHHHMMMMM I mean no offense...but it is a rule of thumb...if it gets dirty it will need cleaning eventually ......
The video is merely a suggestion over the Pipe cleaner method...and I am sure MI would not put something out there that wasn't necessary to own if needed....I know them..
Thank you for your input though...
SASS....

You are wrong, it's not a rule of thumb. Under normal operating conditions (.22 conversions don't count), the gas tube does not require any cleaning whatsoever, NONE, NADA, ZILCH. The gas tube will wear out and need replacing long before it will ever require a cleaning.

Another contradiction to your "rule of thumb" is Pat Roger's BCM middy known as "Filthy 14" which was highlighted in this months SWAT. This rifle has gone over 32,000 rds only being cleaned once, and that wasn't until the 28,000 rd mark. The gun still functions. Most people won't fire 28,000 rds in their lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:33:53 AM EDT
I spent twelve years in the Army, and both taught unit marksmanship and competed at the Army level. In all that time, NOBODY ever cleaned a gas tube. No drill sergeant in basic training taught it, no armorer in twelve years checked it, no marksmanship instructor taught it, no member of any team I was ever on did it. Ever. Period. I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through the AR15 and M16 platforms and have never seen any need to clean the gas tube. If you want to do it, fine. It's your rifle and you clean it as you see fit, but the risk of something bad happening to the gas tube is far greater if you shove something into it than if you simply leave it alone.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:54:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 9:57:20 AM EDT by SASS]
Wow....did I hit the hornet's nest or what....and again...did I say that my SGT told me to clean the gas tube...nope...
Sorry if you guys are so upset about this....if it does not need to be cleaned once in awhile...then why do they sell products to do so....and don't say it is because people will buy them....or I will send the ankle bitingKiller Chihuahuas after you.....[:
Again...sorry to be so upsetting...I have cleaned my GT several times and had no issues...so, all in all....as we all know.........To each their own....
SASS
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:17:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 10:19:51 AM EDT by Captains1911]
Wow....did I hit the hornet's nest or what....and again...did I say that my SGT told me to clean the gas tube...nope...
Sorry if you guys are so upset about this....if it does not need to be cleaned once in awhile...then why do they sell products to do so....and don't say it is because people will buy them....or I will send the ankle bitingKiller Chihuahuas after you.....[:
Again...sorry to be so upsetting...I have cleaned my GT several times and had no issues...so, all in all....as we all know.........To each their own....
SASS

Seriously? I think you know the answer as you have answered it.

And I don't think anybody here is upset, just stating the truth. This topic has been beaten to death, but if you want to waist time and money cleaning your gas tube feel free.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:45:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 11:47:21 AM EDT by SASS]
Well doing some checking I will stand corrected...as someone recently just told me.......it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist ............but maybe the first two inches that the gas key rides on..
So again I stand corrected...
But it still is not a bad thing to own for $3 bucks...
SASS
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 3:13:23 PM EDT by FMJ]
Originally Posted By Captains1911:
The sooner people realize that the gas tube doesn't need cleaning and that sticking shit in there only creates the potential for problems, the better off we'll all be.

+1
Ive been shooting AR15`s since the 80`s
I have yet to clean the inside of a gas tube

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:59:13 AM EDT
What could a little nylon brush remove that a blast of 50K psi gas wouldn't?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:34:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 7:40:19 AM EDT by BigHat]
Originally Posted By Rasp-65:
What could a little nylon brush remove that a blast of 50K psi gas wouldn't?

Really. That's why I loved the compressed air comment.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:01:25 AM EDT
all this guy does on here is link to his crappy youtube videos. he's just trying to up his hit count on his shitty vids.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:08:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By justin_schuyler:
all this guy does on here is link to his crappy youtube videos. he's just trying to up his hit count on his shitty vids.

You must be a Nutnfancy fan.......well some of use have to work for a living and don't have the resources of someone that gets paid for doing it...if you don't like it, don't watch it..I think that some it up....pretty good....
It was actually an un paid promo for the GTB...as are all my videos...UNPAID....they are not as good as some, but better than others, and I have heard from alot of people that my videos have helped....but I do thank you for your input....you can't have a picnic with out some bugs........
As for my hit count...well I really don't care about that crap....I would just turn into an ass like Nutnfancy.....
I have already conceded that the GTB is most likely not needed...
A quick quote from the movie Wanted.....
"And what the PHUCK have you done lately"
Have a Nice Day......
SASS
Top Top