Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:16:30 PM EDT
Ok I dont have anything to clean my AR.  I have CLP, FP10 and Barnes CR-10 from my pistols.  But I have nothing gear wise for ARs.  

Can you guys help me pick out some items that I need from Brownells...my local shop doesnt even carry chamber brushes.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
This is what I use, I pretty much try to keep everything simple

OTIS Memory-Flex cleaning rod, Hoppes .223 copper bore brush, chamber brush, patch holder with T-handle from GI cleaning kit, chamber cleaning stars, and Q-tips

CLP for cleaning and lube

I keep a spare firing pin, extractor, extractor pin, Wolff Extra Power Extractor springs, and McFarland gas rings in the GI cleaning kit

that's all I think you really need
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#2]
get the otis kit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
get the otis kit.

I totally agree, the Otis kit is worth every penny.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You already have the solvents and oil.

For the best home kit seeJ. Dewey
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
gas tube cleaners, unless you smoke a verry long pipe I dont see a reason to buy them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
get the otis kit.

Ditto.  Search the EE, there is a guy selling them Cheap.  I've got the buttstock and just ordered the "sniper" kit.  Didn't really need the sniper kit but it's so damn cheap I know I'd kick myself if I didn't when he runs out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello

What do you use your rifle for?

I have taken some classes that emphasize team movement (with you or they providing fire while they move).  In these classes, you can shoot up to and over 1,000 rounds a day.  For something like that, the standard USGI cleaning kit with the multi-segment rod is important because you might (will) need it to clear cases that fail to extract.  If you want it for a survival scenario, you should have a sturdy rod that you can carry.

If you do high accuracy shooting like benchrest or CMP, then prolonged use of the USGI rod might degrade your accuracy slightly (but still within 2 to 4 MOA).

The Otis kit is expensive for what it gives you.  

Here is my kit:

USGI Kit:
 4 piece steel rod + Folding "T" handle (8x36 thread)
 Tip with eyelet for running patches (8x36 thread)
 Chamber brush (8x36 thread)
 Dual tip nylon "toothbrush"
 Bore brush (8x36 thread) x2...one old and worn

Bore Snake (22/223 cal)
Glock Brush (basically a .40cal nylon brush)
Bolt Carrier Scraper
Adapter from 8x36 to 8x32 thread

Materials:
12 Gauge Patches
.22cal Patches
Paper Towels
Primis Non-chlorinated Break Parts Cleaner
Breakfree CLP

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top