Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:41:07 PM EDT
I need a new cleaning kit for my ar. The rod broke and the brushes are getting worn. I saw the sticky, but are any of the kits better than the other? Just looking for a standard mil spec cleaning kit.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
look up otis
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]
the 'standard' USGI kit kinda sucks - multi piece steel rod = dangerous to your gun's health

the better USGI Otis kits are the shiznit.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a standard Mil-Spec cleaning kit.  Look for the Otis Buttstock kit.

It has everything you need, and if done correctly, can fit in your A2 buttstock.

Of course I don't have that on my M4, but it's still nice and compact and works great.

ETA: It's the memory flex snake, not a rod.  It includes a steel rod for chamber cleaning though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
My unit just got issued the Otis kit.  Havn't used it yet but it looks good.  I think the regular standard kit is fine and I don't think the steel rod is a problem in the chrome lined bore since it is a military rifle and not a match rifle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the Otis kit that is for .22 rifles for my AR. It works great and you really dont need a chamber brush. All I do is when I am pulling the cable through I rotate it and stick my pinky in the lug  to expand the patch and make it hit the sides of the lugs. Works great and fast. Plus you pull all the dirt in the lugs away from the receiver and out the barrel. The pouch it comes with is great. It hooks on your belt or pack and holds small tools and batteries and such as well as all the cleaning equip.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top