Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2006 4:41:33 PM EDT
Why does no one recommend rust-o-leum paint for touch-ups to blemishes on an AR?  Now I wouldn't recommend painting the whole thing, but I think light touch-ups would be perfect for rustoleum to handle.  It handles high heat well and works great on the bbq grill.  It's a bit thick if you overdo it, but lightly apply it to small spots doesn't seem too bad.

Now mind you, I don't really care about stuff that happens while using the gun, but I can't stand it when I do something stupid and ruin a gun's good looks.  Scars from use tell a story.  Scars from stupidity are a permanent reminder of what a dumb@$$ you are.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve used Krylon on the rail of my upper receiver after I did some machining work to bring them into spec. Also on the backside of my FSB to cut down on glare.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Is Krylon the same as rustoleum?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve had equal results with both brands. Only spray paint I stay away from is the cheap Wally World .97 cent cans!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used some for small touchup areas.  For instance a little blemish on my lower I made when putting in the bolt catch pin.  Used a toothpick to just put a dab on the spot.... Looks like it never happened.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have read several threads on snipershide where guys use do Krylon cammo jobs on their rifles.  IN fact Krylon now makes 9 different colors of "cammo" paint
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Krylon on my Mutt gun, has held up for about 1K rounds and lots of dropping, transitions, rattling arounf in the back of the truck, etc, etc...

Only wear is around the flip up caps on optic and brass defelctor...there're a lot of Krylon nay sayers and I recognize the benefits of Durakote and Norell's, but I'm a fan...

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Duplicolor high temp engine enamel. The 1200 degree version that has the ceramic.  Bake it on for a couple hours, and it gets very tough.  It also won't burn and smoke if you paint your barrel and gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Duplicolor high temp engine enamel. The 1200 degree version that has the ceramic.  Bake it on for a couple hours, and it gets very tough.  It also won't burn and smoke if you paint your barrel and gas tube.

'

Word, if properly prepped it will stay on NO MATTER WHAT (aside from abrasions.)  I have painted exhaust components with it and they hold up during racing conditions at high EGT.  Stays on with washings and everything except scraping it on the ground when bottoming out.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top