Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:56:53 AM EDT
I brought my new AR15 to the range yesterday and shot around 170 rounds. I cleaned the gun last night and the barrel seemed to clean very quickly. First I ran 2 patches soaked with tetra gun copper solvent and let it soak for about 30 minutes. I then ran 2 dry patches through it and the first one came out black and the other one gray. I then ran 2 patches of shooters choice bore cleaner and wire brushed it 3 times. I then ran 2 dry patches and the first one came out black and the second one gray again. Then I ran 2 patches of clp through the barrel and let it sit for about 30 minutes again. I then ran 2 dry patches through it again and they came out pretty clean. I outiled the barrel again with clp and let it sit overnight, today I ran a dry patch through it and it was clean. From everything I've read it sounds like the barrels are usually a pain to clean but this wasn't bad. I'm only used to cleaning handguns so I thought with the extra powder this would be tough to clean. The ammunition used was 120 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of black hills remanufactured. The AR15 is a DPMS APA4 with the chrome moly barrel.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:30:28 PM EDT
Sounds about normal.

If you look real good down the barrel you might be able to find a few spots where the barrel did not come clean.

I can't see then on 22 cal bores only 30 cal bores, Only time I try to remove these patches is when My rifle will sit for a few months untill the CMP matches start up again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:51:35 PM EDT
Thanks for the feedback. I looked down the barrel and it looked clean but it's so tight it's hard to really tell. With any luck it'll be this easy next time. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:40:13 PM EDT
SHOOTER'S CHALLENGE!hyellow LeadAway patch thru the bore! hock.gif

You won't BELIEVE how much fouling you get out of your barrel!!!!! I spend a half hour scrubbing, wire brushing, wiping, etc. etc. JUST on the bore... then ran a yellow Lead Away patch down the bore. I was horrified! Looked like I'd cleaned a chimney with it. Ran about 15-20 yellow patches down the bore before I was merely dissatisfied.

Point is, if you REALLY want a clean bore, get the yellow patches and finish up your cleanup with those. Finally, finish with a dry patch (if you are in a dry climate, like New Mexico) or an oily patch (if you are in a damper place, like California) or (sarcasm mode ON) an oil bath if you live in western Oregon or Hawaii (sarcasm mode OFF).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:47:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
(sarcasm mode ON) an oil bath if you live in western Oregon or Hawaii (sarcasm mode OFF).

Hey!!! it only rains on days ending in "y"...
Top Top