Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 11:49:40 AM EDT
I have a new colt R6600 I have cleaned and run a bore brush thru it about 15 times.After I run the bore brush thru the barrel each time the patch is black.Then I run a patch with hoppes solvent thru it it gets clean no black on patch.Then I run the bore brush thru it with hoppes solvent on it and it is black. It is like this each time .What am I doing wrong? this weapon has only been shot at the factory
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:51:10 AM EDT
How dirty is your bore brush?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:06:01 PM EDT
It is a brand new bore brush,After each cleaning I spray degreaser on it to make sure it is clean!Then I put hoppes solvent o the brush each time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:23:07 AM EDT
You’re not doing anything wrong. Each time you use the brush, you loosen up caked on carbon in the bore. It doesn’t take much to darken a patch. At some point you just need to decide the bore is clean enough and stop cleaning. I’ve never been able to get a bore completely clean of all carbon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:26:57 AM EDT
Thanks for the information I do appreciate it!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:31:10 AM EDT
Hmm... My sarge told us to look down the barrel with a backlight and see if there were any "specks" - it they were not then we were gtg.. does this sound right?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:52:32 PM EDT
Yeah, that should work. Really no need to get the barrel spotless unless it is a match barrel, and even then its debatable.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:56:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jason_h: Yeah, that should work. Really no need to get the barrel spotless unless it is a match barrel, and even then its debatable.
View Quote
Back in the old days we used to take a fouling shot before a match, on some barrels the first shot out of a clean barrel tends to be a flyer. That may, or may not be common, but it definitely can be demonstrated in [b]some barrels.[/b]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:17:13 PM EDT
I recently ran out of CLP, went looking for something "new"... I found Barnes CR-10 bore cleaner.. I followed directions and am totaly Impressed by the results!
Top Top