Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 11:49:40 AM EDT
I have a new colt R6600 I have cleaned and run a bore brush thru it about 15 times.After I run the bore brush thru the barrel each time the patch is black.Then I run  a patch with hoppes solvent thru it it gets clean no black on patch.Then I run the bore brush thru it with hoppes solvent on it and it is black. It is like this each time .What am I doing wrong? this weapon has only been shot at the factory
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
How dirty is your bore brush?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a brand new bore brush,After each cleaning I spray degreaser on it to make sure it is clean!Then I put hoppes solvent o the brush each time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
You’re not doing anything wrong.

Each time you use the brush, you loosen up caked on carbon in the bore.  It doesn’t take much to darken a patch.  

At some point you just need to decide the bore is clean enough and stop cleaning.

I’ve never been able to get a bore completely clean of all carbon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information I do appreciate it!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmm... My sarge told us to look down the barrel with a backlight and see if there were any "specks" - it they were not then we were gtg.. does this sound right?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that should work.  Really no need to get the barrel spotless unless it is a match barrel, and even then its debatable.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, that should work.  Really no need to get the barrel spotless unless it is a match barrel, and even then its debatable.
View Quote

Back in the old days we used to take a fouling shot before a match, on some barrels the first shot out of a clean barrel tends to be a flyer.  That may, or may not be common, but it definitely can be demonstrated in [b]some barrels.[/b]

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently ran out of CLP, went looking for something "new"...

I found Barnes CR-10 bore cleaner..

I followed directions and am totaly Impressed by the results!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top