Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/22/2003 7:42:54 AM EDT
Ok,

I keep reading to clean from the breach to the muzzle. I understand the desire to not harm the crown.

BUT, doesn't that provide for the opportuity for "chamber crud" to be pushed/pulled thru the barrel.

This has been buggin me for years.

Think it is ok to go muzzle to breach?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:10:40 PM EDT
I have gone muzzle to breach many times, especially with my Ruger 22/45 that is a PITA for assembly/dissassembly. Everything else I strip and go breach to muzzle. The average cleaning rod is a hell of a lot softer than your barrel... You aren't going to hurt anything either way.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:32:30 PM EDT
Actually, the direction you clean from and the direction you move the crud aren’t necessarily correlated. You can push a patch or brush through the bore or you can pull them through the bore. Nowadays, many folks feel you should push (or pull) the crud forward through the barrel and out the muzzle. Going the other direction results in you moving the crud into the action, which is not good. Cleaning from the breech end minimizes wear on the critical muzzle area. Whenever I have to clean a rifle (say an M1A) from the muzzle end, I always use a muzzle guard to prevent wear.
Top Top