Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 10:08:27 PM EDT
I'm new to the REALM of these sweet Ar's but along with this I want to make sure I can take care of her correctly.
I see different materials, Phospor Bronze, Bronze, Brass,

And then I see different companies, Kleenbore, Hoppe's, Dewey "no harm" (is this loop deal worth the extra cash) outers, you get the picture.

What will protect my bore not only on my AR but on everything else, but also get the job done??

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
For a bore brush, I like the ones with a brass (copper/zinc) or bronze (copper/tin) twisted wire center over the bore brushes with a steel twisted wire center to hold the brass wire which makes the brush.

While the steel support is most likely "stronger", the brass center is softer than steel and if the brush bends a little (or comes off in the bore on a really bad day) there is much less chance of the center core damaging the bore of the rifle if it is brass.

The twisted steel is probably ok, as long as the end is a loop vs. being cut and thus having a sharp end (always appeared to be a accident just waiting to happen).

Would also get a bore guide, one part steel rod of your favorite flavor and a cleaning jag that fits the bore with the patches you are using (be they comerical or home made).

For field use on a match type barrel, one of the newer high tech pull throughs look interesting (got one for the brother to keep in his hunting kit ... works well but a little different).
[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/otiscleaningkits.msnw[/url]

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep hearing that Phosphor Bronze brushes are hard on barrels, like they wear them away.  That's all I've ever used (just brass ones up till now) on a regular basis.  Is this true.  What brushes should you use.  What about just Kleenbore phosbor bronze??  

And another thing, not to sound old fashioned, but what the hell does a brass jag actually do???Thanks G

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting point on brass vs brone, have not be as much worried about the hardness of bronze and brass (both which should be softer than steel) as having major damage to the bore from the sharp end of a cut twisted steel center wire.

Will have to consider migrating to brass brushes, all other thinks being the same (i.e. cleaning effects when needed).  [url=http://www.associatedmetalcast.com/brass.html]Notes on Bronze & Brass[/url]

IMO the jag holds a tight fitting cloth patch against the rifle's bore to:[list][*]Apply bore cleaner in a film to inside of the bore.[/*]
[*]Wipe out the dirt and disolved copper in the bore & rifling.[/*]
[*]Wipe the bore dry when done cleaning.[/*]
[*]Apply a layer of oil in the bore for storage.[/*]
[*]Wipe the bore dry before shooting[/*][/list]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#4]
What does everyone think about Nylon brushes, are they worth keeping a set on hand??  Or just use patches for light cleaning and a phosphor bronze when the lead and copper need to come out?

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#5]
What do people think of the Hoppes stainless brushes - Tornado I think they are called?  They are a continuous wrap of steal rather than the spikes sticking out... seems like this would do MUCH less damage than regular stanless and probably less than any spiky ones.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top