Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/16/2002 12:42:06 PM EDT
How hard should it be to push a rod and patch through the bore of my M-4 barrel?  It seems to take an awfull lot of force to get my Dewey rod and patch through the bore. I just want to make sure I am not hurting anything.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/17/2002 2:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you are using the right size rod, "patch-keeper" and patch.  I am not familiar with the Dewey name, but failing all else, get an actual .22 caliber rod and box of patches.
Also, push the rod FROM the chamber end towards the muzzle.  Push it the same way the bullet is supposed to go.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Your jag/patch combination could be just a bit too big. I have found that I sometimes need to reduce jags by spinning them in sandpaper, depending on the thickness of the patches.

I had some really thick 12 guage patches and ended up needing to use a 20 guage jag with these patches on a 12 guage gun as an example.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Given that there is about 9" of space between the rear of the upper receiver and the chamber/bore area, it could be that you are slightly bending the rod and this is causing it to bind in the chamber and/or throat area.  I had the same issue until I bought a Dewey rod guide.  This device is a aluminum tube with a "O" ring at the end that goes into the chamber, and has a plastic end that makes it a perfect fit inside the rear of the upper receiver.  The rod goes through this, and thus is guided much more straight into the bore--making it MUCH easier to clean--especially when using a jag.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure the jag is .22 and patch size is about 1 1/8 of an inch square. I wrap the patch beginning with a corner around the jag, wet it and run it through the bore from chamber to muzzle. The first wet patch through a dirty bore may be somewhat tighter than the next ones.
If you are still having problems try trimming your patches down with sissors slightly.
MM419
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds to me like you are using too large of patch. Like "minuteman419" says; use a patch thats 1 1/8". If you get much bigger its too hard to get thru the bore. A lot of guys use jags but I use the slotted rod end. I just like it better.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone.

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the chamber Guide it really works. also try twisting the rod to start it. I find holding the rod and pushing closer to the chamber bore guibe helps. Then I use the handle to push it all the way through.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are using the round .22 patches try piercing the patch a bit off from center.
The more off center,the less resistence you will get.
Also.
Pull the hand guards,and mount the barrel in a padded jaw vice for stability,and use a good bore guide.That way you have one hand free to stabilize the mid section of the rod and keep it straight.
The patch should be snug.If it's not,it isn't getting into the lands very well.

If it's too snug and you have to back out,run some bore solvent down the rod and into the bore,wait 20 seconds or so,and it will push easier to get it out.

Best of luck to ya!
S-28
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top