Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 5:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Mods, could you move this post to the Remedial English forum?  
View Quote

Fat thumbs and a new screen protector.

I fixed some of it.  For the record, I write code not literature
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Mods, could you move this post to the Remedial English forum?  

Makes sense now.  Standard AR part or 3-D printed?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Makes sense now.  Standard AR part or 3-D printed?
View Quote

AR FGC, otherwise all DIY and 3d printed.  The FGC can be printed, but the AR parts make it much more reliable.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe not as fun as Building Homemade Guns, but I'm a bit of a tool whore.  Working on tools makes each day in the shop better.  

I've been wanting to do this since I got the lathe 7 or 8 years ago.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes it's the simple projects that appear as a waste of time, but an easy win is still a win.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 9:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#6]
I needed to polish a rusted recoil buffer tube on an 1187.  At about the same time, I needed to polish the bore of a Homemade 9mm barrel.  This works surprisingly well.  Need to make a few more attachments now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
^ very cool! I make tools far more than anything else I do on mine
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm terrible at taking progress pictures.  Rough scratch on Scrap material to very next pic is "finished" product in action.  Not pretty, but it works.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Did the trick though
Attachment Attached File

Bonus points for the PY2A crowd who knows what these are.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that Al piece a lathe dog?

Are the round pieces barrel inserts?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm terrible at taking progress pictures.  Rough scratch on Scrap material to very next pic is "finished" product in action.  Not pretty, but it works.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89127/Resized_20230824_162244_jpeg-2935591.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89127/Resized_20230824_183715_jpeg-2935593.JPG

Did the trick though
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89127/Resized_20230807_170819_jpeg-2935594.JPG

Bonus points for the PY2A crowd who knows what these are.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89127/Resized_20230819_190844_jpeg-2935595.JPG
View Quote

Can't wait to hear about how those sound
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:04:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#11]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:

View Quote

Yeah, that's a lathe dog.  The barrels are from greenmountain blanks.  They are as true as any Blank, but still turn between centers to get them spot on.  I don't want a baffle strike!

As far as the barrels, those are blanks, not inserts or liners.  The blank is 17.5 " long and 1.250" outer.  So lots of turning to get it down to the correct size for the FGC-9.  

I've done some button rifling on the explosion proof hydraulic pipe, but it's hard to find the correct size and China shipping lead time is months at best.  After getting the wrong size twice and 3 lost shipments, I gave up and went with a MUCH better quality option.  Because, well, here, we have options.  If we were in Myanmar, we'd be a bit more limited.
One day I might go the ECM route, but for the $, green mountain makes some very nice blanks.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

Can't wait to hear about how those sound
View Quote

Need to do some threading
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I think we're about ready for a build party
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Yeah, that's a lathe dog.  The barrels are from greenmountain blanks.  They are as true as any Blank, but still turn between centers to get them spot on.  I don't want a baffle strike!

As far as the barrels, those are blanks, not inserts or liners.  The blank is 17.5 " long and 1.250" outer.  So lots of turning to get it down to the correct size for the FGC-9.  

I've done some button rifling on the explosion proof hydraulic pipe, but it's hard to find the correct size and China shipping lead time is months at best.  After getting the wrong size twice and 3 lost shipments, I gave up and went with a MUCH better quality option.  Because, well, here, we have options.  If we were in Myanmar, we'd be a bit more limited.
One day I might go the ECM route, but for the $, green mountain makes some very nice blanks.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JKrammes:

Got it.  I thought you were using the 3 jaw on the work piece.  I see that there is a center in the 3 jaw...  My center fits directly into the spindle without a chuck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
My center goes in the spindle, but I can leave the 3 jaw chuck mounted.  And the jaws on the chuck make good drive points for the dogs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe I should start a new thread for the DIY guns.  I still get a million questions and comments on these guns so I made a couple of videos showing the ones I have so far.  Need to build some more!

DIY Sheet Metal Derringers - Practical Scrap Metal Small Arms vol 7 - Model 1

Practical Scrap Metal Small Arms Vol 7 - DIY 22 Derringer Model 2

I'm not fishing for views, I'm not monetized, just hoping to inspire others to start builds of their own.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I should start a new thread for the DIY guns.  I still get a million questions and comments on these guns so I made a couple of videos showing the ones I have so far.  Need to build some more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBIF-PGMays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFT7h1pGW8Y

I'm not fishing for views, I'm not monetized, just hoping to inspire others to start builds of their own.
View Quote

Cam attest those were cool.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#18]
Still making dumb stuff in the garage...

I've had great success with 22lr barrels, but mixed results with larger calibers.  Mostly 9mm.  This is only the third .32 "barrel" I rifled.  So far, all three have been successful.  I'll probably make a 9mm and a 38/357 liner too now.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

PSMSA DIY Derringer 410/45lc to 32s&w conversion

Oh yeah, I made a 22mag cylinder too.

Attachment Attached File

Video to follow
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top