User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
Much like launching pivot pin detente and springs, those who have tapped the read takedown detent know the struggles with pushing in the spring with the tiny set screw.  This sets on the back of the receiver, located on the RE and anti-rotation holes.
It will help keep the tap aligned, and then keep the spring, screw and tiny Allen wrench all aligned during assembly.  Required, certainly not.  Am I glad I spent the time to do it, hell yeah!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/IMG_20200116_214024_353_jpg-1237900.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/IMG_20200116_214024_354_jpg-1237901.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/73551_jpeg-1237907.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/IMG_20200116_214024_362_jpg-1237903.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/IMG_20200116_214024_367_jpg-1237905.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/IMG_20200116_214024_369_jpg-1237906.JPG
View Quote
Nice work, always amazes me with what you come up with...
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
That is slick.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:50:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#3]
Found some time to complete another small project.  100 year old Remington rolling block.  Converted from the out of production 32RF to 32 S&W long.

Could have modified the original breech block, but who does things the easy way?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet!  Are you going to harden it @ all?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It is 4140 so I could, but the original wasn't hardened, much.  I'll keep an eye on it for signs of wear and or stress.  32 S&W isn't exactly a hot round.  Most factory ammo is in the range of 750fps.  I already ordered 5 boxes of factory ammo and a set of dies.  Planning to get a mold and cast my own projectiles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It is 4140 so I could, but the original wasn't hardened, much.  I'll keep an eye on it for signs of wear and or stress.  32 S&W isn't exactly a hot round.  Most factory ammo is in the range of 750fps.  I already ordered 5 boxes of factory ammo and a set of dies.  Planning to get a mold and cast my own projectiles.
View Quote
Next time you need to do something like this, look into pre-hardened 41xx steels.

Lots of strength and they actually machine nicer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:37:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#7]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

Next time you need to do something like this, look into pre-hardened 41xx steels.

Lots of strength and they actually machine nicer.
View Quote
Exactly what this is.  4140PH
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a lot of fun stuff in the shop lately, but due to the Wuhan, I was unable to find an open hardware store to source a flange nut I needed.  So I spent 30 minutes to make a $1 nut.  Hazards of having the ability to make something is in the absence of an easier cheaper option, you will spend countless hours making stuff you should have been able to purchase for pocket change.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#9]
Well the weather is shit in Ohio and hunting season is over, so it's time for shop time.  Sorry not sorry, it's not an AR.  Being my first build on the AK platform, I didn't have all the tools, jigs and what not, but I couldn't just go out and buy them.  Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#10]
@DavyDug

Attachment Attached File

I didn't invent the wheel here, but I've never seen anyone else push the all thread through tubing.  I guess most just don't care if they beat up their AK's.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:28:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#11]
Of course, working on stuff for others...

My mom's 38 is lucky I am learning tig
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#12]
Badly worn out safety on a mauser training rifle.  So worn it would fall out.

@Safe1

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice work on the AK! I see you managed to get a Romy "G" kit with original barrel. I remember when you could get those for $100 shipped.

Wish I had the time and money to get and learn one of those mills, would make this type of hobby so much more fun!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quick fix for @Houseofmoto

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Norinco 870 lost its barrel band, no machining, just silver solder after a lot of cleaning.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#16]
Finally made a tool holder holder?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Gjones80:
Nice work on the AK! I see you managed to get a Romy "G" kit with original barrel. I remember when you could get those for $100 shipped.

Wish I had the time and money to get and learn one of those mills, would make this type of hobby so much more fun!
View Quote

We all wish we'd bought a dozen back in the day.

Having some hobby level machines means you'll spend countless hours making a $10 part.  But you'll enjoy every minute of it dreaming of the next excuse to make chips.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice work!  Would like to see someone make a KP-15 configuration out of wood.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Finally a big milestone in the evolution

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Saying I am impressed is an understatement. You guys are incredible thank you
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Shoot, where has this thread been all my life. Subscribed. Keep the shop pictures coming, this is amazing.

So is the Bridgeport new, or did I miss it's introduction ? After all these years with the LMS mill, would you recommend one? Or should I keep an eye out for an old bridgeport?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#23]
100% awesome. Keep making 'em.

Some day, the commies in DC will classify your hunk of AL as a firearm before you even get it home, and w/o it being serialized and registered, you a felon.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#24]
The Bridgeport is a new addition.  She didn't get a proper introduction, but it was a craigslist find, 1975 series 1, 2hp variable speed that came with no tooling, but did have one shot oiler, servo x-axis power feed and a 2 axis DRO.  The LMS was R8 so I had a start there.  I also had an old 2hp 3 phase converter I got with adelta Rockwell drill press.  But it really struggled to get the BP going.  It took me less than a week to upgrade.

A quick list, all bought within 2 weeks of getting the BP home:
American Rotary 10hp phase converter, room to grow
7.5hp craigslist idler motor
Craigslist Kurt power drawbar setup

chicom stuff mostly from ebay
6" kurt clone, still looking for a used Kurt prised right
Igauging quill DRO
A more complete set of R8 collects
R8 fly cutter, the LMS could only handle small fly cutters
R8 5/8 drill keyless drill chuck, again limitations of the LMS machine, using a drill chuck used up nearly all of the Z axis.  
Line loc misting (mostly just for air) system.
That stuff was about $1500 over the BP purchase price.  But I already knew what I wanted and had saved for it.  

But again, the LMS really had me set up well to get started.  From a small array of precision measuring devices, angle blocks, 1-2-3 blocks, parallels, tap guides, edge finders and literally 100's of end mills, drill bits and lathe-flycutter tooling.  The initial purchase price of any of these machines is only a fraction of what you'll spend before doing much of any project.  

Hindsight is about the same.  I knew nothing about machining, but I knew then I wanted a BP, but it's a lot to buy at once.  Also, I didn't have 3ph power, which seemed intimidating at the time, I didn't have the room and honestly didn't have the money.  I like the Mini-mill for setup convenience and buy in cost alone.  But they are very limited, mostly by size and power.  For most stuff, you'll find yourself dealing with the machines limitations more than thinking about the best way to get stuff done.  Always a less than optimal setup.  That said, I've done a LOT of work on that little machine and learned so much.  

If you have the room and $, skip the mini-mill and go straight for a BP.  But if you don't have room for a BP in your life at the moment, don't let that stop you.  There are a lot of other options out there in the bench top mill world.  Don't be afraid of an old mill-drill machine either.  

ETA:  I don't plan to get rid of the mini-mill any time soon either.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had some of these parts laying around for years, for no good reason I decided it was time.  

Attachment Attached File

But I had more kits than I had plates, since I recently bought a bandsaw, I guess we'll do it the hard way.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As it turns out, the blades I got with the saw were not the best.  I have since ordered and received much better metal cutting blades.  But since this project had already started, I had to continue on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#26]
Its typically easier to make 2 of the same exact parts if you do both in one setup.  Screw them together
Attachment Attached File

Did I mention I scored an old Delta Rockwell 6x48 Belt/12" disc  Sander/Grinder.  It was converted to single phase, but still had plenty of umph.  It's almost scary trying to do these small parts.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Hindsight, that hole did not need to be that big

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Did I mention I'm no good at TIG welding either?
Attachment Attached File

Final test fit
Attachment Attached File

Glass beading will hide most of my blemishes
Attachment Attached File

All cleaned up after a trip in the cold blue
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:11:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#28]
And done!
Attachment Attached File

Guess I hadn't mentioned I had a little something to go by, Double version circa 1990's

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#29]
Going to be more to follow.  The kid wants to make a derringer from scratch.  Of course we're gonna do it the hard way.  

Good thing I just picked up an old homemade H frame press
Attachment Attached File

What are we pressing to make a derringer?  Funny you should ask.
Attachment Attached File

Broke the first one, but since, I've successfully pressed three.  Many more pics to follow.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Very nice!  How's the recoil on the derringer?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Very nice!  How's the recoil on the derringer?
View Quote

That thing is miserable with anything but 2-1/2 bird shot.  It's hard to grip it well enough and not have your middle finger knuckle in harm's way of the trigger shroud.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By fish223:
OP, today is the sixth anniversary of this thread. Your skills are awesome.
View Quote

In some ways it feels like twice that long, but in many ways it feels like I'm just getting started.  
Much of this was self gratification, but I do hope it inspires others to get out there and make stuff.

Dirty shop pic to mark the occasion
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Well the SO's youngest found plans to make scrap metal derringers and asked if I thought we could make some.  So of course I said, patience, you need lots of patience.  Of course we can make them, but it won't be 2 or 3 hours in the garage and a handful of working pistoles.  Well, his time is more limited than mine and I was trying to stay ahead of him so I'm not figuring it out on his.  So far so good...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:24:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#35]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:29:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#36]
Does everyone get lost in shop time and forget to take pictures?
Very basic designs, but we can improve upon that.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:34:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#37]
Obviously many more hours to go on fit and finish.  But I already have something around 50 rounds through it. Recovered a few fired projectiles with sufficient rifling.  No keyholes on the 15-20 into targets around 10' away.  Much more testing to follow, but so far I'm very happy with the results.  

ETA:  upwards of 200+ rounds through it now.  Some off hand plinking at targets up to 15 yards with consistent hits on target.  I noticed one keyhole so far, that one was at 10 yards with a group around 5 or 6 inches off hand.  Needless to say, for a barrel made from some random piece of steel and rifling anyone could do, I'm more than happy with the accuracy.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:55:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#38]
Getting a lot closer.  I found an old stock cut off some old shotgun.  50+ year old Delta bandsaw and belt grinder made quick work on the grips.  MUCH easier than I'd expected.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The shape wasn't planned, that's just the piece I hacked out of the stock around the mounting bolt hole.  I can't complain about how it worked out.  Some times we get lucky.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:12:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#39]
Extractor was not in the plans, but in my mind, they're required.   Really pushing my lack of TIG welding skills to the limits.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#40]
OP is a cool guy
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Most impressive to say the least . Dang !!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#42]
The only video I have of it so far.  Need to do another now  the extractor and grips are done.  I have somewhere over 200 rounds through this thing now with very minimal issues.  So far I've been able to correct all of them.  The ejector and a half cock notch are done.  Need to make a new recoil lug and an actual pivot pin for the barrel.  The screw is supposed to be temporary.  

DIY Sheet Metal Derringer Design 22lr
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Incredible to see this progress. Meanwhile here I am in the garage with a HF drill press and a router and jig. I have neither a minimill nor a BP but wish I could jump straight to the BP. Maybe in 10 years I'll be where you are OP, I hope. Much less use (for firearms) it'll be then, probably, but still fun .

How's learning the BP after using the LMS minimill? And have you thought about CNC at some point? And about how long does it take to hog out a lower on either mill?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:38:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Amazing work!

someday I hope to be retired and spend all my days tinkering on wood and metal.  OP is inspiring!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mb44kar:
Incredible to see this progress. Meanwhile here I am in the garage with a HF drill press and a router and jig. I have neither a minimill nor a BP but wish I could jump straight to the BP. Maybe in 10 years I'll be where you are OP, I hope. Much less use (for firearms) it'll be then, probably, but still fun .

How's learning the BP after using the LMS minimill? And have you thought about CNC at some point? And about how long does it take to hog out a lower on either mill?
View Quote

I'm not trying to set any records with either, but I can knock out an 80%'er in roughly just shy of 2 hours on the mini-mill and just over an hour on the BP.  The actually machine time is far less than half, but setup, locating holes and tool changes eat a lot of time.  

As far as the learning curve, the only thing I've noticed so far, is being used to the mini-mill, I'm very conservative when it comes to the same op on the BP.  It can always take a much bigger cut than I try on the first go.  But for the most part, the knowledge and experience transfers directly.  It didn't take me long to get very comfortable with the BP.

The plan has always been to upgrade to a BP then converter the mini-mill to CNC.  But now I'm debating either buying a purpose built CNC or starting from scratch rather than a conversion.  We'll see as time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:18:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#46]
Originally Posted By tbonifie:
Amazing work!

someday I hope to be retired and spend all my days tinkering on wood and metal.  OP is inspiring!
View Quote

Don't wait.  I'm 45 and I wish I'd started 20 something years ago.

ETA:  I'd like to thank everyone for the kind words.  Again, I'm no pro, it's just a passion driven learning experience for me.  I keep posting this stuff to hopefully inspire others to take the journey as well.  I've learned a ton from this community here and would like to think I've repaid some of that by helping others.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:59:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fox2008] [#47]

I'm not trying to set any records with either, but I can knock out an 80%'er in roughly just shy of 2 hours on the mini-mill and just over an hour on the BP.  The actually machine time is far less than half, but setup, locating holes and tool changes eat a lot of time.  

As far as the learning curve, the only thing I've noticed so far, is being used to the mini-mill, I'm very conservative when it comes to the same op on the BP.  It can always take a much bigger cut than I try on the first go.  But for the most part, the knowledge and experience transfers directly.  It didn't take me long to get very comfortable with the BP.

The plan has always been to upgrade to a BP then converter the mini-mill to CNC.  But now I'm debating either buying a purpose built CNC or starting from scratch rather than a conversion.  We'll see as time will tell.
View Quote

I started out with a mini-mill and mini-lathe and upgraded to a BP and Southbend lathe.  I'd have the same observations as you....honestly working on the smaller less rigid machines makes it harder to get good parts and forces you to understand what the cutter is doing more....IMO.  Which makes them a great learning tool.

I too planned on converting my mini-mill to a CNC, but then looked at the cost at vs it's capabilities and decided to sell it instead.  Put the money towards a Tig welder.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:07:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#48]
Made a little progress on #2 in .32 s&w.  Still a long ways to go, but fired her twice.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:10:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#49]
About 4 hours for this part alone. Granted, I made it up as I went.  Maybe I should spend more time in design and planning.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AFCarbon15] [#50]
While it may not look like much, I've been making a lot of progress.

Made a few minor refinements to the 22 while trying to get the 32 caught up.  Plinking with the 32 just isn't much fun without an extractor, so that was today's project.  My tig welds are slowly improving.  Still haven't got control of the heat and always getting little inclusions.

Let me know if I'm posting too much, I know this thread has gone many different directions and doesn't always fit the AR BIY.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top