Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2010 8:20:59 PM EDT
Ok, Ive been on here reading everything possible about building and AR.  I have millions and millions of questions.  Ive been doing my research for the fun show coming in November.  First, could I get some opinions on VLTOR MUR uppers?  Secondly, what could be some set backs for building an upper...not a stripped upper but I do want to go with a specific bcg.  

Hopefully I get some good feedback so I can move on to my next questions.

THANKS
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Please PPL!!!! Could I get a little help.  Maybe a nudge in the right direction?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm considering building an upper myself. I have a question about the need for special tools. One time only tools could run the cost up somewhat.

Which upper bench vice clamp: 1. an external clamp type with a BCG insert or, 2. an internal fitting block inserted into the upper which is then placed into the bench vice.

Is one better / safer than the other?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe if you had a more specific question....?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know anything about the Vltor uppers?  What should i expect when going about building and upper....problems that maybe made for a rookie?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Vltor has a good reputation.

Quoted:
What should i expect when going about building and upper....problems that maybe made for a rookie?

This is hard to answer without knowing what components you are using.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
2. an internal fitting block inserted into the upper which is then placed into the bench vice.
Is one better / safer than the other?

I started with the external "clam shell" and switched to the internal. The clam shell left little square marks on the receiver, so I had to line it with cloth. The internal "Panther Claw" I believe, is so more user friendly. Ironically, I just swapped out an A2 upper for a flat top just minutes ago.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Its kinda still in the just an idea but heres a list of what i have in mind....

vlto mur upper
spikes tactical lower
YNM BCG
dont really know what barrel i want.... 16 or 18 inch barrel
magpul ctr
magpul flip-up sights
Primary arms multi reticle red dot sight?
two stage trigger?

all suggestions welcomed
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are using a MUR uppe, you will need a claw type upper receiver block. You need to decide on a forearm system and gas block.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you are using a MUR uppe, you will need a claw type upper receiver block. You need to decide on a forearm system and gas block.

What is a claw type receiver block.

What forearm would you recommend?  I like rails for all the different accessories.  

I dont even know where to start looking for a gas block or what to look for....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is a claw type receiver block.

DPMS Panther Claw

What forearm would you recommend?  I like rails for all the different accessories.  

I dont even know where to start looking for a gas block or what to look for....

I like Daniel Defense stuff. I prefer their Lite rails and they also make gas blocks. LaRue Tactical would be my second choice in rails and gas blocks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Be careful with those upper receiver vise blocks that don't encapsulate and fully support the receiver while doing barrel stuff.

I took Sully's (The Defensive Edge) armorer's courses a year ago and one guy in the class, while Sully wasn't looking, grabbed one of these to hold his upper during barrel removal. CRAAAAACK! The guy was heartbroken to see his Stag lefty cracked, warped, and useless. I believe Sully made it all better for him when all was said and done, but the class wasn't much fun for him after that.

The receiver is aluminum and and does not like to be torqued hanging-out in the open like that. I don't know much about MUR's, or what people hold them with while barreling (I use a Brownell's wrap-around on my standard receivers), but it'd be worth an email to Vltor to find-out what'd work best so you don't end-up wearing the same face my classmate did.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The claw extends into the upper receiver. As long as you have the support on the inside and outside at the critical points, your receiver will be fine. There are blocks that only attach to the lugs and do not have the interior support. There are also clamshell blocks that do not have an interior insert and can damage receivers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The Panther Claw was the best damn investment I made.  I hemmed and hawed over buying the tools needed to build my own uppers and lowers, but I finally figured it was worth it in the long run.  Trust me, this will NOT be your only upper or lower you build.  It is a disease - learn to live with it :)

Get a good set of gunsmiths tools, vise, Panther Claw, armorer's wrench, screwdrivers, etc.  They will pay for themselves in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Right now I'm saving up for the fun show.  Would that be a good place to buy all the tools and things Id use in building rifles?  I don't plan on buying a stripped upper so would I still need all these tools?  If not could some give me a detailed list of what I need before I just start buying/ordering parts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]
What do you mean by stripped upper? Will you be assembling a barrel, forearm, and upper receiver into a upper assembly? Striped upper usually refers to an upper reciver with no barrel, dust cover, or forward assist. Complete upper receiver means upper reciever with no barrel, but has the dustcover and FA installed. Complete upper assembly means a complete upper half that may or may not include BCG.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]
yes ill be assembling all of those....when i say stripped i mean no FA no Dust Cover.

Heres my hold up i dont want the fixed sight "triangle sight"  on the front and i figured that i should just buy all the part i want.  Is it possible to buy and upper that doesnt have the pinned front sight that isnt super expensive?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
yes ill be assembling all of those....when i say stripped i mean no FA no Dust Cover.

Heres my hold up i dont want the fixed sight "triangle sight"  on the front and i figured that i should just buy all the part i want.  Is it possible to buy and upper barrel that doesnt have the pinned front sight that isnt super expensive?

Fixed it for you.

What is "super expensive"?

There are lots of barrels available without pinned Front Sight Bases.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I started from the same point you are at two months ago.  Just finished by gun.  My opinion is that more parts you put together the more valed your claim of "I built my own gun".  By a complete upper and a lower and you are just putting two parts together.  See my post "Step 9 - Build Complete" that was posted a few days ago.  I included a cost sheet which includes tools.  I shopped the tools pretty well so it is probabaly a fair representation of the minimum you will spend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
When I'm looking I see a lot of nice uppers but they cost 1000 dollars and thats just too much for an upper.  I want a nice, reliable barrel.  About 14.5-16" in 1/8.  Im leaning towards the VLTOR upper but Im not sure.  If I was going to buy a complete upper i would wanna spend more than 500.  But if I'm buying it piece by piece I wouldnt gripe about spending a little more.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top